Advice on updating home recording "rig"

Hi folks

I hope I'm posting in the correct arena!

Been finding myself recording more ideas/demos at home, but have only ever really used hardware in to interface into DAW. 

I love doing this and get reasonable results (again only for demo purposes and posterity) using guitar, synth, drum machine and pedalboard, however I am interested in looking at using software for amps/fx, maybe keys via midi keyboard etc.

Unfortunately, it has been 15 years since I last looked in to this kinda thing!

Can anyone recommend budget ways in to this and gear that will do the job...any advice appreciated.

Do note, that this is for home recordings only and I want a set up that is easy to use for a tech noob, inspiring and fun but also cheap as anything that works will hopefully graduate out of the flat and in to a "proper" studio

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I assume you want to do this using a PC / Mac ?

In which case you will need Interface to connect your mic / instrument, a DAW ( your digital studio), and a Mic.

You can buy the interface as a bundle with the Mic, and software ( usually a free demo) which is probably a good way to go, from there its all upgradeable as required.

Look for something like Focusrite and Presonus bundles...start around a few hundred pounds or less.

Good luck !  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    I assume you want to do this using a PC / Mac ?

In which case you will need Interface to connect your mic / instrument, a DAW ( your digital studio), and a Mic.

You can buy the interface as a bundle with the Mic, and software ( usually a free demo) which is probably a good way to go, from there its all upgradeable as required.

Look for something like Focusrite and Presonus bundles...start around a few hundred pounds or less.

Good luck !  
    Thanks for the reply!

I may have not been clear, I already have an (old) interface (Avid Fast Track Duo) and have been using this with Presonus Studio One.

What I want to do is have some software options (maybe a plugin package) so that I can record guitar straight in and add amp/fx.

Additionally considering midi keyboard for synth/drums as opposed to using hardware (microkorg & volca beats).

Cheers!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Ah ok ....you have Ampire ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Ah ok ....you have Ampire ?

No, just the free version of Studio One
  • Oh hang on is that part of Studio One? Sorry, hadnt realised that! 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Before I went Helix, I used Scuffham S-Gear for amps with Studio One.  Worth a try if you don't get on with Ampire.

Only a handful of amp models but always more than enough great sounds.  Free trial too.

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    There's loads of free software around. Trials or just plain free. I've got loads of cool stuff on my music computer and hardly spent anything. Including reaper, which has pretty much everything you'll need. Used to be free for non commercial anyway, not done any recording for ages!

Don't go spending loads straight away anyway.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Oh hang on is that part of Studio One? Sorry, hadnt realised that! 
    Yes it is.
    Also with the free version of StudioOne, it will not allow you to use external plug-ins unless you pay & upgrade. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    You get a load of free vst instruments and fx if you buy a Computer music magazine. They are not on the disc anymore you download them from filesilo but with an interface like focus right and a DAW (I use reaper)  and a half decent pc and you are good to go.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Amplitube Custom Shop is free
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    In case you are no already aware, recording through a vst will introduce latency (what you hear whilst you track, playback will be ok).  How much latency, and whether or not this is a problem, will depend upon the audio interface, the drivers, and your buffer settings.