Affect of alternative tuning on guitar

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I love playing in DADGAD and usually just tune a guitar to it when needed. But, for a while now I have one electric and one acoustic always tuned that way. Is there any negative affect on having a guitar tuned to DADGAD then, maybe months later tuning back to standard tuning? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Nope.
    I do it all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Not with DADGAD and the same gauge strings . You might need to adjust the truss rod if you went to the Rock Parfit open G tuning and heavier strings.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26920
    As above - no issues as long as overall tension doesn't go up or down massively, which might require a different gauge and/or truss rod tweak. DADGAD is only a little bit lower tension that standard assuming the same strings, so no problem.

I usually have at least one guitar in open G at any given time. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    It depends how marginal the relief is in standard tuning. If it’s very close to dead straight it’s possible that you might need to slacken the truss rod slightly to avoid rattle in DADGAD.

But at a guess, if you’re using open tunings you probably haven’t got it set up for super-low shredding action with no relief anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Well you won't sound as good in standard :)

Or maybe that's just me as I find DADGAD a more flattering tuning, probably because my bum notes are at least in  the right key, if they're not in the tune I'm trying to play.

But no issues as the others have said
  • drofluf said:
    Or maybe that's just me as I find DADGAD a more flattering tuning, probably because my bum notes are at least in  the right key, if they're not in the tune I'm trying to play.
    Play me something in Db ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    drofluf said:
    Isn't that why capos were invented :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    drofluf said:
    Isn't that why capos were invented :)
    Still tricky! Sod it: retune to DbAbDbGbAbDb ;)
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Thanks all. That's reassuring.