Turning on an old amp for the first time in yonks

What's Hot
humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
Hi all, I've got a Laney Supergroup from way back in the day (just like Iommi's ones) – been sitting in a cupboard for a good 8-10 years without being turned on... is there any danger in turning it on after so long? Should I get it checked out first? I don't want to blow it up or anything.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    p.s. this question also applies to it's Orange 4x12
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Yes, there is very much a danger in just turning it on - don't. You could well blow filter caps. Although there's a high likelihood that they need replacing anyway if they're original, it's not a good idea to make them fail in situ, they can cause other damage. If it hasn't been overhauled in the last 20-30 years either, I would not do anything at all without a full inspection and testing of vital components before you even start.

The cabinet is less risky, but it would still be a good idea to have a look inside and check for speaker cone damage, replaced speakers, improper wiring (you'd be surprised how many have been repaired wrongly) etc. You may have trouble getting the back out - *don't* try to lever it out, you'll chew up the sides - either remove the side handles and push it out from the inside, or remove the jack cup and use a pull hook.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Many thanks ICBM. The amp was in full working order last time it was used (it had a few new parts but mostly original – but fully serviced etc.) but I'll definitely get it looked at before playing with it. Cheers for your advice.