Earvana/compensated nut questions

I'm totally ignorant on the above and have a couple of questions for those in the know;
  • Are there different compensated nuts for different scale lengths or is it a 'one size fits all' 
  • Is the improvement in any way related to scale length i.e. does a shorter scale guitar benefit more than longer?
Sorry if these are dumb questions :)

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Yes. The degree of compensation is proportional to the scale length.

There are different physical formats to suit different fingerboard radii and nut slot positions.

Further, Earvana offers an adjustable version to suit awkward host guitars. For example, the scale length on Gibson electric guitars is notional. The true distance can deviate by a significant amount.

Probably best to consult somebody who fits these things every week. Paging @FelineGuitars ;

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You can improve things by adjusting the position of a conventional nut.  That's what PRS do.  They move the nut very slightly closer to the first fret to compensate for the extra tension of fretting a note.

It's not theoretically as accurate as something like an Earvana, but it is better than the traditional nut position.  I've sold all my PRS guitars now, but years ago I was playing with someone with much better ears than me, and he commented how in tune the PRS sounded.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
    Thanks very much for the posts guys..
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    It made a noticeable difference on my Gibson, for some reason Gibsons just seem more problematic than Fenders.