Oh crap, my Helix just went bang in a big puff of smoke right in the middle of that huge gig.......

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
Well, obviously it didn't cos no-one's gigging....but....I'm currently running a Helix into a Laney FRFR and plan to split it off into the PA as and when gigs happen.

But....if my Helix goes bang in the middle of a gig, I have nothing to make a noise, so.....what back up solutions are you guys using (or will be as and when we can)? I previously had one of those Joyo American Sound pedals which was ok, but not really, sound wise, what I'm after. I play in a Mod/ Indie band using a combination of AC30/ Marshally sounds on the Helix. We've been asked to do some weddings this year so really need a back up plan that preferably doesn't break the bank (£150 ish).

Ideas? What do you guys use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The real irony would be if you had a valve amp lurking in the background as your back up.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    For Helix backup I have a tech 21 fly rig sounds great and you get clean/dirty/delay with tap-tempo and reverb, never had to use it in anger, but it sounds great.  A used Zoom G3n might be another option
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited March 2021
    The real irony would be if you had a valve amp lurking in the background as your back up.
    That would be ironic...but I flogged them both.....knew there was a reason I should have kept one....
    John_A said:
    For Helix backup I have a tech 21 fly rig sounds great and you get clean/dirty/delay with tap-tempo and reverb, never had to use it in anger, but it sounds great.  A used Zoom G3n might be another option
    Couple of good shouts there....just looked at the Flyrig...always thought they were more expensive than they are so could be a good shout as something dead easy to get back up and running
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    An original HX Stomp now there's a new model announced ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    If you know of one going for £150 give me a shout :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Pretty sure Joyo make an AC Tone pedal as well if it's Voxy tones you're after.
    John_A said:
    Jalapeno said:
    If you know of one going for £150 give me a shout :)
    Fight you for it!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    If mine went I'd just plug into the singer / guitarist's rig.  Unplugging him could only improve the sound anyway.  I mean, it's not as though he's actually playing the right chords.

The big question is - what do you do if your drummer spontaneously combusts?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good point about the drummer, I've never been let down by my Helix in 5 years of gigging which is more than can be said for drummers :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    AMT F1 Legend or a Sansamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I bought an Atomic Ampli-Firebox as a backup for this exact scenario. I have used it on all of one gig, and that was just to check it was indeed a satisfactory back up (it is).

Bit cheeky this, but if you're interested drop me a PM. I've been planning to sell it since a) my AX8 has been so reliable I'm not worried about a backup anymore, especially as b) I am not doing any gigs!
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I've always got a Zoom G3 or a Zoom MS-50G in the gigbag as a backup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I bought an Atomic Ampli-Firebox as a backup for this exact scenario. I have used it on all of one gig, and that was just to check it was indeed a satisfactory back up (it is).

Bit cheeky this, but if you're interested drop me a PM. I've been planning to sell it since a) my AX8 has been so reliable I'm not worried about a backup anymore, especially as b) I am not doing any gigs!
     Cheers, I’ll have an investigate
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I have a gurus 1959dd which has an emulated out and is a 2 channel pedal.

Works a treat through a pa.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    The real irony would be if you had a valve amp lurking in the background as your back up.
    A mate uses a Helix in a Who tribute, gigged all round the country doing the Quadrophenia album in theatres ... one night at soundcheck his Helix went nuts and he had to go and get his valve amp. Luckily he was only 40 miles from home. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    John_A said:
    Good point about the drummer, I've never been let down by my Helix in 5 years of gigging which is more than can be said for drummers :)
    In my experience you are far more likely to be let down by people than you are gear and, when it comes to gear, vehicles are more likely to fail rather than amps.
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    My HX Stomp stopped making sound in the middle of a gig once. It was really hot!
    I never carry a backup and that was a fly gig so I was happy it just needed a reboot and all went well.
    Don't even think the band noticed!
  • I've got a Zoom G3x sitting in my boot, that hasn't been used in a year! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    My Stomp died in the middle of a gig, I was going into a Princeton anyway so just went direct into the amp.