PRS SE Silver Sky?

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
edited March 2021 in Guitar
Some string company has apparently leaked a pic of what may be an SE version of the Silver Sky.
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/prs-silver-sky-se-edition-affordable/
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    Squier copy...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Publicity stunt to generate interest 
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    My first thought was 'makes sense that they'd at least make a test version to evaluate' - would be surprised if that wasn't already happening. I imagine they'd sell a ton of these if it came to market. Have never heard of a 8.25-inch radius though....
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    Surely this was always definitely on the cards. I would imagine they will pull the trigger when the Core sales start to slip a little. That time could be now. 8.25" is weird. Knaggs do 8.5" on some models but I too have never heard of an 8.25" anywhere.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited March 2021
    This would be interesting, well, as interesting as a Strat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    From the SE prices now £550+, you could get a Fender Player Series.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    If the SE model uses the Silver Sky name, Mayer should be entitled to an endorsee licensing cut. That ramps up the MSRP. 

At the price suggested by duotone, unless the PRS SE has something exceptional going for it, the traditional six-in-line headstock brand wins out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    If the SE model uses the Silver Sky name, Mayer should be entitled to an endorsee licensing cut. That ramps up the MSRP. 

At the price suggested by duotone, unless the PRS SE has something exceptional going for it, the traditional six-in-line headstock brand wins out.

PRS normally use a proper 6 screw trem.  AFAIK Fender Mexico only give you that option with vintage fretwire.  This lets you have a 6 screw trem with a vintage(ish) radius but with bigger frets.  I think you would need to go Custom Shop to get those specs from Fender now.

It does look to be a well specced guitar.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I'd buy a PRS SE Silver Sky if they gave us some nice colours. Though Paul seems to be reticent to make the SEs too pretty. Which is daft I think.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I'm sure a Silver Sky SE will be a fantastic guitar and they will sell loads of them.

But to me it's just another far eastern made strat copy. 

For what they're going to charge go get a classic vibe strat, and a tele and have the change left over for a takeaway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    ...or the truth is out....the PRS SIlver Sky is really made by Cort lol. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2354
    Strat54 said:
    ...or the truth is out....the PRS SIlver Sky is really made by Cort lol. 
    Fender will see PRS in Cort...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'd buy a PRS SE Silver Sky if they gave us some nice colours. Though Paul seems to be reticent to make the SEs too pretty. Which is daft I think.
    I think this goes back to Mayer's involvement that he wanted it to be a less traditional instrument ( despite looking like a strat and having a vintage radius fingerboard) so no bursts and fancy woods.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited March 2021
    Instead of the SE Silver Sky they should call it the SE EG model... 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I thought the pickups in the silver sky were the usp of that guitar? Surely an Se version wouldn't have the same pickups? 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9304
    duotone said:
    I’m a died in the wool fender guy, but I’d put decent money that the se would smoke a player series 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    edited March 2021
    chris78 said:

I’m a died in the wool fender guy, but I’d put decent money that the se would smoke a player series 
    I've found the opposite. I like PRSs and I have no attachment to vintage-style Fenders, but all the Player Series guitars I've tried have been characterful and good-sounding - whereas the PRS SEs, while being undoubtedly slightly better-made and finished, have always seemed a bit... meh. Not bad, just not very inspiring.

It would come down to what I wanted - if I wanted a more versatile modern guitar I would probably pick the PRS - one of the normal ones with humbuckers. If I wanted a Strat I'd get the Fender... not even a close choice. I can't see the point in this any more than I can in the expensive one, other to cynically steal sales from Fender without actually being anything worth having in its own right.

Even worse than the SC was a deliberate Les Paul copy - it did at least have a couple of slightly different features.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    chris78 said:
    duotone said:
    I’ll take that bet. I think an SE Strat would be far more consistent guitar to guitar and they’d all be better built and finished. They wouldn’t be as good though. 
  • Prs se eg? Isn’t that where the se’s started?
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Prs se eg? Isn’t that where the se’s started?
    That would be the SE Santana  ;)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!