NAD Orange Rocker 30

What's Hot

Comments

• cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    I want one. 
    I had one but I should’ve spent more time with it . Sold it cos it was last in and I needed the cash. I used a mates r30 combo quite a bit and the thing I didn’t like about it was likely the speaker. 
    I reckon that was part of the reason why I got rid of my original one... the WGS in this combo sounds great - even better when I added my extension cab with a Cannabis Rex
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Right @cm01 @ICBM and the rest of you GAS-spreaders... Looks like I've got one of these (combo) incoming and it's all your fault.  ;)

It has the stock V30, although I might be able to convince the vendor to put a creamback in (he had one in there but reverted it to stock). Would that be a good coice? I'm not a huge fan of V30s at all. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    McToot said:

It has the stock V30, although I might be able to convince the vendor to put a creamback in (he had one in there but reverted it to stock). Would that be a good coice? I'm not a huge fan of V30s at all. 
    I think the best speakers for the 1x12" combo would be a Creamback G12H-75 or a Classic Lead 80, with a Creamback G12M-65 or a Heritage G12-65 as a second choice. If he's willing to fit a Creamback I'd take that over the V30 whichever model it is.

The Heritage G12H-30 sounds the best with them to me, but doesn't have enough power rating for a 1x12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stevrossthepipestevrossthepipe Frets: 138
    edited March 2021
     I have one for sale as I just use my quilter head now and it is  just not getting any use as great as it is.Thought I would use this R30 appreciation thread to my advantage.   Otherwise I will likely just part exchange with Andertons but I rather pass it on to someone on the forum as sure they will ask at least 500 for it at a guess?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171691/fs-orange-rocker-30-combo-w-footswitch-now-400#latest
  • Don't talk the values of the R30 up too much or I'll have to put my insurance up ;)
    I agree they do seem relatively inexpensive at the moment compared with some other amps though.
    Currently using mine with an Orange open-back 2x12, with one of the V30s swapped for a Creamback H-75 for a bit more brightness.  When we start gigging again I may even get another Creamback and turf out the remaining V30, but that can wait for now.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    I've tried the OR30 and just not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid. Far too dark sounding, no warmth, and no inbuilt reverb. The cleans lack sparkle, the distortion is just too bass and mid heavy and rough/undefined - great for bottom end chug if that's what you want, but not much else IMO.  It just sounds bland to me - which is why, similar to a Fender HRD, it probably suits pedals as the amp doesn't have a lot of character of its own.  Sorry to post a downer when you all think it's so great but that's my honest opinion. I had a 50w Orange head that I bought when I was young - it was the fastest amp I've ever moved on - around 3 weeks. just hated it.  I guess I just don't like Orange amps.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Don't apologise for your opinion @Voxman - if we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world.

I don't reckon the Rocker 30 is the be-all and end-all of amps, but it seems to suit me pretty well and they aren't expensive at the moment (or weren't when I bought mine a few years ago anyway).  I'm absolutely not a chugger BTW - what I call high-gain the other guitarist in the band used to call clean :)

I wouldn't call it a "pedal platform" though... I don't use drive pedals and have always preferred amp distortion, which is one of the reasons I've got the Orange - it overdrives quite easily even on the clean ("natural") channel. I've always thought of "pedal platform" amps as ones with massive headroom that don't don't distort at all, like a Fender Twin or something - basically just being used as a PA.

I can see where you're coming from with the "too dark" comment - sometimes a bit more top end would be a good thing, which is why I swapped one of the V30s for the Creamback - it does give it a useful extra bit of clarity.  I certainly agree with the people who say the V30 isn't really the best suited speaker for Oranges and they would do themselves a favour by fitting something else as stock.

I do like other types of amp sound, and I do play around with various sounds on my modeller practice amp, but I only want one big live amp and the R30 works for my situation.  If I was playing in a covers/function band I can see it might not be versatile enough though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited March 2021
    I wonder what they’d sound like with a Celestion v type ? Anyone tried ? 
    ICBM said:
    McToot said:

I think the best speakers for the 1x12" combo would be a Creamback G12H-75 or a Classic Lead 80, with a Creamback G12M-65 or a Heritage G12-65 as a second choice. If he's willing to fit a Creamback I'd take that over the V30 whichever model it is.

The Heritage G12H-30 sounds the best with them to me, but doesn't have enough power rating for a 1x12".
    The guy I'm buying my combo from was happy to take the stock V30 out and put a creamback in. It's almost new too, which is a bonus, though it does mean that the speaker might need breaking in a bit. I have an MJW 1x12 with a G12H-30 and if the 'ohmage' aligns I might be able to run that as an extension...

Complete overkill for a home noodler, sure, but I'm looking forward to taking it out to forum jam days, if they ever come back. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Thanks @DartmoorHedgehog and you're exactly right that it would be boring if we all liked the same thing, so if it's a good choice for your needs then that's all that's important.  Rather than changing speakers, which can be an expensive option that you never quite know how it will come out, have you thought about using an EQ?

From my experience, I think that even a simple analogue  (to keep it warm, some digital EQs are ok but some sap tone) 7 band EQ can be the biggest secret weapon on anyone's pedal board, to let you tailor your tone in ways that on board EQ's cant on their own. It's an inexpensive solution that can add huge flexibility to any rig.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    have you thought about using an EQ?

I do use an EQ pedal, but not permanently on - I use it mostly as a boost, but do set the higher frequencies up a bit to make it cut through a bit more for solos etc.  - perhaps I should try getting another one and leave it on, might be worth a try.

TBH I was happy with the amp sound as it was with V30s for years (previous second guitarist had a very bright and distorted sound with a Fender amp, so we weren't competing too much for space). But since a new guy took over a couple of years ago his sound has been overlapping mine more - swapping the speaker has made a useful difference.  Doesn't help that he's the type who just does his own thing and everybody else has to fit round him (and he seems to turn up with a new amp every few weeks).  Grrr.  Anyway, rant over... back to the thread :)
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    I have an old Fane 50W speaker in my Rocker 30 combo and it sounds a bit like those old OR120s. My favourite speaker was a celestion heritage G12H30. The vintage 30 sounded great for more metally stuff.
    @PonchoGreg ; - this is the thread where the lust started...

:s 

So -  thanks to this thread, I picked this up earlier on in the week. I've been mad busy with a new job so have only had a little while playing it but it sounds very promising, even at bedroom volumes. Can't wait to let it (fire)breathe properly when the rehearsal studios re-open...

The guy who sold it to me had put a new Creamback in it but was selling it with the V30: I asked if he minded swapping the V30 back out and he was cool with that. I'll try hooking it up to my oversized MJW 1x12 with a G12H-30 in it too to see what sort of noise that makes...

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    That will sound great Over the v30.
    edited April 2021
    What’s the consensus on power valves in these?  Mine still has the original Orange EL34’s from donkeys years ago, so I’m guessing a new set will make a difference sound wise?  I’ve read one report that Groove Tubes EL34M’s were a great match with the amp.
    cm01 said:

I’ve read one report that Groove Tubes EL34M’s were a great match with the amp.
    As in they glow bright orange when they blow up?

:)

I've had almost nothing but bad experiences with Groove Tubes power valves, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I don't know what they do to them since they're not a manufacturer, they're a relabeller so the valves actually come from the same factories as other relabellers, but they somehow seem to pick the ones that aren't any good...

Personally I would use JJs for reliability, but anything else (other than Groove Tubes) might sound better - I do like EH EL34s in them, but they aren't the longest lived.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Cheers ... are the new Mullards any good? They’re about £50 a pair out here 
    cm01 said:
    Cheers ... are the new Mullards any good? They’re about £50 a pair out here 
    I don't know, never tried them. Their preamp ones aren't though...

Bear in mind they aren't Mullards in any way other than the name. For £50 you could probably buy a pair of old tested real ones.

Unfortunately they’re pretty pricey over here - around £130 - £200 a pair!