What to do with a rubbish guitar...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540
    Glue the neck in, quick respray and surely it's worth hundreds.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    Loads of suggestions already, but if you have a local dramatic society or school with a drama department they may like it for props - a guitar that no one will miss and it doesn't matter that it's s pile of shite to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • some venues put them on their walls..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    HerrMetal said:
    Glue the neck in, quick respray and surely it's worth hundreds.
    ..and a change of pickups, will be good as a Harley Benton R9.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Setup for slide
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Even a heap o' manure cheapo guitar is a potential source of period correct parts for other MIJ copy guitars of the same era.

If the hardware plating on your elderly Arbiter is not too badly tarnished, it could be transplanted onto another guitar to make that presentable. 

To somebody like H7, the Arbiter's screw-on neck creates potential for mixing and matching of necks and bodies to arrive at desired colour schemes. The tatty leftovers then form the basis of Ffrankenstienian  experiments with pickup changes and inappropriate vibratos.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    Make up an emotional back-story and take it to The Repair Shop.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Neill said:

Now that is a good idea too... But the damn thing is quite solidly built it would do some damage before it gave up.  I could set fire to it a la Hendrix I suppose..? 

Actually, thinking on not such a good idea.  If anyone saw me trying to smash a guitar up on stage they would immediately send for a paramedic, and I would probably need one.
    Don't try to smash it. If you fail to break it after trying your hardest for five minutes you'll be mocked as a lame Phoebe Bridgers wannabe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Change the pups and stick a Harley Benton logo on it ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Sell it on ebay for £200. Hint: use the word “lawsuit” in the description.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    1. Send impmann a picture.

2. If it is not impmann's old guitar, let dilbert have it for the same price. (Shipping cost).

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    impmann said:
    Is it a Gold top that has been heavily modified in the past (extra switches etc) if so... it could be my old one and I would pay *A LOT* to have it back irrespective of condition.
    I'm so sorry @impmann I should have made it clearer it's not a goldtop though I wish it was your guitar - for your sake not mine.   it is modified, after a fashion, but not in a good way.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Jimbro66 said:
    Make up an emotional back-story and take it to The Repair Shop.
    This ‘must’ be the winner! Well played, Sir!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Neill said:
    impmann said:
    Is it a Gold top that has been heavily modified in the past (extra switches etc) if so... it could be my old one and I would pay *A LOT* to have it back irrespective of condition.
    I'm so sorry @impmann I should have made it clearer it's not a goldtop though I wish it was your guitar - for your sake not mine.   it is modified, after a fashion, but not in a good way.
    Thanks for letting me know - I really appreciate it.

Mine was very modified (mainly by me) and it was highly distinctive. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    DeeTee said:
    I'd do as @dilbert says - either use it to practice some guitar maintenance stuff, or sell/give it to someone who will do the same. I learned a ton with a broken Epi LP.

This.

I've gained a lot from working on a trashed Squier that my brother-in-law got at a boot sale for a fiver.  I want to refret another cheapie or three before I do my AVRI Strat though.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    impmann said:
    Neill said:
    impmann said:

I’ve been looking for it on your behalf for years, too...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2130
    Get a cleartone conversion on it. 
    ????
    ????
    profit. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:
    Neill said:
    impmann said:

I’ve been looking for it on your behalf for years, too...
    Thanks mate. Massively appreciated.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and I do mean all of them...  I have come to an arrangement with HarrySeven, he can add it to his stable and I can tell my wife I have got rid of a guitar so it's win-win..!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    crunchman said:
    DeeTee said:
    I'd do as @dilbert says - either use it to practice some guitar maintenance stuff, or sell/give it to someone who will do the same. I learned a ton with a broken Epi LP.

This.

I've gained a lot from working on a trashed Squier that my brother-in-law got at a boot sale for a fiver.  I want to refret another cheapie or three before I do my AVRI Strat though.
    I know what you mean. I've started to get the hang of soldering, but I'm still a bit nervy about changing the pickups on my SG. 4 wire coil splits, a small space and an easily marked nitro finish.