Just tried a DS1 for the very first time

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2195
....and I don't hate it.  

I'm quite enjoying the unrefined gnarlyness of it actually.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    What are you using it with? 

You know the tone knob trick, don't you? (.i.e a lot of people like it at or around the 9 o clock position). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    It works really well as a boost with the gain pulled back a bit.

The guy from khruangbin has one as an always on boost which is not what you would expect given their sound.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    One of the most unfairly maligned and underrated pedals ever made.

Probably my favourite simple distortion pedal ever. Seriously.

If you haven't already, try it with the tone at 9-10 o'clock, the distortion a bit under halfway and the level up full (or nearly).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    I rarely need that much gain but I picked one up for £20 in a junk shop in Brighton. It is a good sound I agree, but I found that the tone control was so fiddly that it was a real nuisance to dial in when changing the level of drive, or guitar or amp setting, or even if the wind changed direction. 

I picked up a US made RAT just before lockdown last year and it’s exactly what I need when I need lots of gain - loads of great tones from mild to super-gnarly and the filter control works as a tone control should. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    26.2 said:
    I rarely need that much gain but I picked one up for £20 in a junk shop in Brighton. It is a good sound I agree, but I found that the tone control was so fiddly that it was a real nuisance to dial in when changing the level of drive, or guitar or amp setting, or even if the wind changed direction.
    I'm actually tempted to modify mine so that the range from about 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock is expanded to the full turn. It should be easy - the stock pot is a 20K linear, so if you used a 4K7 pot with a 12K resistor in series at the treble end and a 3K3 at the bass end it should do exactly that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    26.2 said:
    I'm actually tempted to modify mine so that the range from about 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock is expanded to the full turn. It should be easy - the stock pot is a 20K linear, so if you used a 4K7 pot with a 12K resistor in series at the treble end and a 3K3 at the bass end it should do exactly that.
    That sounds cool. Funny why that isn’t a ‘thing’ like Keeley modded stuff.

I do love Boss pedals though. 
  • ICBM said:
    26.2 said:
    If you do that and stamp it ‘AD’ it’s apparently worth £40k
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    26.2 said:

Funny why that isn’t a ‘thing’ like Keeley modded stuff.
    If I remember rightly, a company called Freekish Blues did pretty much exactly that with a Joyo copy of an OCD, repainted it and claimed it as their own work... it was all over the Gear Page a while back, after the initial hype about it being the new-paradigm game-changer of overdrive pedals or whatever they usually say :).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    26.2 said:

Funny why that isn’t a ‘thing’ like Keeley modded stuff.
    If I remember rightly, a company called Freekish Blues did pretty much exactly that with a Joyo copy of an OCD, repainted it and claimed it as their own work... it was all over the Gear Page a while back, after the initial hype about it being the new-paradigm game-changer of overdrive pedals or whatever they usually say :).
    I think I vaguely remember that! 
  • Never tried one, but after going through a few boutique overdrives, I’ve now got an SD-1 and I’m so happy with it, as a clean boost or to add juice to the drive channel of my Orange Rocker 15. It does the job so well with little fuss. 
    ICBM said:

Actually, an even better idea... you could use three resistors and the original pot - the same two at the bass and treble ands, and a 6K2 across the pot itself (which gives 4K7 in parallel with 20K) - then you could fit a DPDT switch and have the option of stock or expanded tone sweep.

The only thing that's stopping me now is that my DS-1 is a special edition 40th Anniversary one... looks like I need another one :).

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Sound good into a lightly distorting valve amp. Not great into a clean amp imo. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I've got a few modded ones and a few I've ruined by modding them. Thd LED clipping versions are quite lovely imo - the Keeley ones use this for the on/off LED. Vai and Satriani were/are big users. I like them!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    I love the DS-1 but it's a sound I never use. I must have owned at least five. I buy them, love them, never use them, then sell them, then I miss them...
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2195
    edited March 2021
    I'm using it into a crunchy amp, tone all the way anticlockwise, gain maxed and level about 3/4.  It's the sound of the early 90s 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2195
    I paid £35 for mine.  
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Sound good into a lightly distorting valve amp. Not great into a clean amp imo. 
    I beg to differ...

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Sound good into a lightly distorting valve amp. Not great into a clean amp in my opinion. 
    I like it for both. It's much better into a clean amp than a SD-1 is, for me.

Fishboy7 said:
    I'm using it into a crunchy amp, tone all the way anticlockwise, gain maxed and level about 3/4.  It's the sound of the early 90s 
    By a strange coincidence, at the exact moment I read that, my iTunes was playing the guitar solo in Shakespear's Sister's 'Hello (Turn Your Radio On)'...

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited March 2021
    I got my DS-1 and Rat modded by Pedalmods UK with the 3-way switch mod.

Can recommend it. Just amazing.

When I saw Mike Stern in the late 90s I got a look at his pedalboard afterwards, and he had a DS-1 and 2 DD-2s on his board.  You can hear the DS-1 tone on many of his recorded solos. 

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2360
    ^ @jdgm I have one of them, but I think Pedalmods UK are no longer in business 

Do you know any details about the mod?