Hit a problem and need advice

What's Hot
I decided I wanted a new guitar that didn't scream 'Metal' too much and I was all set on a Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 in Snow White. The problem is that I went to try one today and although it sounds great, after two neck-thru guitars and four PRS SE Custom 24 guitars, the upper fret access felt awful due to the thick neck joint. Back to the drawing board!!!

I want a guitar that's naturally brighter than my set-neck PRS guitars so I was thinking a bolt-on. I'd also prefer the body wood to be Alder with a maple neck, like the So Cal but mahogany might be OK. I don't know much about other woods but the bottom line is that it should be a relatively bright guitar, like the So Cal. I'm not too bothered if it's 22 or 24 frets but it needs to have a Floyd Rose 1000, not a Special. I'm also looking for an HH configuration or maybe HSH at a push.

The two alternatives that immediately leap to mind would be the Charvel Pro Mod DK24 HH FR or the Jackson Pro Dinky, as they're essentially the same guitar. I like the Charvel DK24 but the quilted amber top and gold hardware isn't exactly subtle. I also like the Jackson Pro Dinky but while I like the So Cal in white due to the black pickguard, I'm less keen on the Jackson in all white and in an ideal world, I'd like to avoid a pointy headstock.

What other options would be good for me to try?

If it's an Ibanez, it would need a locking bridge that is at least as good and reliable as a Floyd Rose and as I don't know which Ibanez trems are really good and which are poor, I've avoided the entire brand so far. Some information on the Edge bridges would be very useful.

There seems to be various neck-thru options around and I love the upper fret access on them but when I had my SL3 Soloist from Japan, I found it a very hard guitar to get pickups for due to the dominance of maple running throughout the guitar. This was of course the days when the maple from the neck went right through the body and the body was essentially just wings glued onto the neck, perhaps they're different now.

Any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    edited March 2021
    I know nothing about those types of guitars unfortunately, but I do know that you’re not the real Slartibartfast, who won an award for designing the Norwegian fjords, because you spelled his name wrong!  
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Esp viper
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Some of the ESP/LTDs are neck thru so might be more what you're after? Or a PRS CE, but it won't have a Floyd.
  • The Viper doesn't appeal I'm afraid and a Floyd is a must (or something comparable). I'm open to a neck-thru design but only if the design isn't the same as my old SL3. If the maple of the neck runs through the entire body of the guitar, that's no use as I imagine it will be as lifeless as my SL3. The other concerns is wouldn't a neck-thru by like a set-neck and therefore be darker?
    edited March 2021
    The M and Horizon series have some neck thru models with Floyd 1000s. The headstock might be a bit metal though I suppose if that's what you're looking to avoid!

That's a shame to hear about the Charvel though as I was looking at those too as something a bit superstratty but not too metal looking. I'm not keen on bulky Fender style neck heels and hoped the Charvel would be better.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited March 2021
    Musicman Steve Morse Y2D 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    edited March 2021
    Can’t you just use an eq pedal to make your current guitars brighter when you need them to be? 
    Not as exciting as a new guitar but you seem to be searching for what you already have just brighter. 

If you were after a completely different sound a new guitar makes more sense but we often look to change the guitar rather than look to the controls on the amp etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've already sold all my guitars and most of my other gear as I'm working in Malaysia at the moment so when I get back, it's an excuse to restock again  =) There's somethin g about an Alder bolt-on guitar that I really like. When I had the Solist, it came with a JB in the bridge and it was awful. I tried it in the PRS and it wasn't much better. I put it in a Yamaha Pacifica I had lying around and it was fantastic. I also tried a JB in a Pro Dinky and it was superb so I'm naturally drawn to Alder as a body wood. I've just been looking at Ibanez guitars but they don't really use alder and even mahogany isn't that common. They use a range of woods but I've no idea how they compare tonally to alder.

I'm coming to the conclusion that unless I get the Charvel DK24, it's probably going to have a pointy headstock and I'll just have to live with that.

I'll check out the M, Horizon and Musicman now.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think you just need to try a load of different guitars rather than thinking about specs 'on paper'. Sure have a browse and a look online and chat here. That's good for a shortlist. But to me, your description of the Charvel says a lot: you'll know the guitar you want when you play it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Schecter could be worth a look too, there's the Sun Valley Super Shredder FR which has most of the features you want I think. They look a bit 80s but in more of an understated way, unless you go for that awesome lambo orange colour :)
  • Slartibartfarst42Slartibartfarst42 Frets: 30
    edited March 2021
    I was initially attracted to the Sun Valley but it said it had a Floyd Rose Special and I don't want a Special. 

I fully realise I need to play the guitars, this is just about getting a shortlist and knowing what to look for instead of wandering aimlessly. The Schecter Hellraiser C-1 looks interesting, though I'd need to change the electrics to install passive pickups as I really don't like actives. I also looked at an Ibanez Genesis RG550 but I don't know if the Edge bridge is any good or not.

A guitar that did catch my attention is the Ibanez Nita Strauss Jiva, even though I know very little of her as a guitarist. It has the bolt-on neck, a slim mahogany body, I can live with the HSH configuration and I THINK I'm right in saying that the Edge-Zero II bridge is one of their good trem systems. 

Is it as good and reliable as a Floyd 1000?

The other thing I was curious about is what is the difference between the Jiva10 and the JivaJR that justifies almost twice the price? I can see that the body on the JR version is Meranti instead of mahogany but I've never heard of that before. What is it like in comparison to alder and mahogany? Is it any good or just cheap rubbish? The only reference I've been able to find online suggests this wood is so poor, that's where the real difference is. Other than a slightly different neck carve, the only other difference I can see is the pickups, which don't bother me as I'd be installing a Super Distortion, Area 61 and PAF Pro in it anyway. It doesn't seem much difference for a huge gap in price.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    What about the Ibanez Joe Satriani top-of-the-range? It's got their best Edge Bridge and a bolt on neck and a humbucker and single coil.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    @Slartibartfarst42 stuff the nonesense on guitars and tell me about all the lovely food you have access to out there: mee goreng, roti canai, murtabak, rendang, nasi lemak.... mmmmm. So jealous. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• I'm enjoying the food here, my wife not so much. We're both struggling with the heat!

On the boring subject of guitars, I don't want a single coil in the neck so the Satriani is out. 

I know the Pro Dinky and DK24 are serious possibilities. The Hellraiser looks good other than having to switch from actives to passives. I like everything about the Jiva10 except for the price, which seems very high given that the first thing I'll do is remove two of the pickups!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I find signature models always higher in price than their equivalent. I do like Nita Strauss though, never seen a Jiva in store over in the Uk though. 

I’m going off the Ltd snakebyte and Kh models etc.  Theyre the same quality/factory as 1000 series stuff, maybe different shapes or colours or pickups but quality wise there is no extra. 

I was gonna say for upper fret access, stuff like explorers, firebirds (Im an Esp/Ltd fan so thinking Phoenix etc) are unparalleled, but sound the opposite of what you want as theyre thru neck hard tails, and my Phoenix isnt bright either. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2085
    edited March 2021
    The Ibanez Edge and Pro/Lo Pro variants are usually quite highly regarded aren’t they??

Ibanez’ hardware generally seems to be above average from what I can tell? 

Also. As another post mentioned. EQ pedal. 

Might give you what you’re looking for for like a one-er rather than buying a completely new guitar. 
  • I'm buying a new guitar regardless because I've already sold my last one  =)

The Jackson Pro Dinky, Charvel DK24 and Schecter Hellraiser C-1 are all definitely in the mix. The Ibanez options I'm finding more confusing because I have no idea about the quality of the bridges.

Ibanez Nita Strauss JIVA10 - Fantastic except for the price (Edge-Zero II bridge)
    Ibanez Genesis RG550 - Looks solid enough, though I've never used basswood before (Edge bridge)
    Ibanez RG370 - Looks astonishingly cheap given that it seems to be using essentially the same bridge as the JIVA10 at well under half the price! Never used Ash before either but I can't see an obvious reason why it's so much cheaper than everything else (Edge-Zero II w/ZPS3Fe bridge)

Can anyone tell me how each of these bridges stack up against a Floyd Rose 1000?
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    I'm enjoying the food here, my wife not so much. 
    I'm sure that could be written better. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Edge bridge is excellent. I also like the lo pro ibanez bridges on the s prestige series.

Floyd 1000 are good. Floyd specials can be okay 

So, you want a neck through for access but not the maple core? In that case, look at esp ltd H1000/1 - these have a deep set neck into a mahogany body with a huge carve for the same feel as a neck through.

Alternatively, here is a nice ibby I found that is screw on neck but with a nice bit of shaping. 

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/ibanez-rg1120pbz-ckb-charcoal-black-burst.htm ;

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    A Jem?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom