Discount through live chat?

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
Hi everyone

Has anyone ever attempted to get a discount through live chat on sites such as Gak or guitarguitar. Thinking about buying a guitar, amp and multi stand in one purchase if I could get a little shaved off the price. Or is that being cheeky? 
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I do it all the time with Juno (synths/modular).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    If you don’t ask you don’t get!

I got £30 off my last guitar purchase. Better than a kick in the bollocks.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2021
    If you don’t ask you don’t get!

I got £30 off my last guitar purchase. Better than a kick in the bollocks.

This. Or pick up the phone and have a chat. When I bought my Pod Go from Yamaha Music London in June, their store/web price was £429. I called them for a chat; they not only price matched the best £399 price available, but reduced it a bit more to £393, and they provided a 2yr warranty. Plus their service was excellent.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I prefer haggling over the phone, you're putting them on the spot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    octatonic said:
    I do it all the time with Juno (synths/modular).
    Juno is cool because they basically tell you on the listing whether there is a better deal to be had or not. Plus they ship faster than anyone else I’ve ever used - ordered at like 6.15pm one evening and got it at 9am the next day. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I got a few quid off an amp over email with GAK a couple of years ago. Only 5% or something, but it was already a good deal before I asked.

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Yeah got a discount on a gigbag when bought with a (cheap) bass last year, and free next day delivery, through live chat with GAK last year. Good service.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Just paid £183 all in for an Audient id14 MK2 from Juno. Live chat discount code.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Yeah have tried with Peach and Guitarguitar, neither would give a discount. Even after it was delivered in a shoddy ‘set up’ condition. 

But even before Covid, in store, Andertons, Pmt I’ve asked and never got one. These were all around £1000-£1500 guitars. 

Dunno whose dick ya gotta suck!

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    I've had a live chat discount off GAK, but it was a bit of a false economy as the person doing it didn't pay attention to what I was asking for (it was lots of bits and bobs and a couple of more serious items) so cooked up the order. End result was my saving worth having turned it to be because they left off a couple of cables. By the time I'd made up for that it was only about 50p :)

Lesson learnt about forcing total clarity and not assuming they can see your basket at the time. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    Had discounts in store with PMT (when I started to walk away!), and with Yamaha London who price matched on a 611HFM and gave me a Black Friday discount. If you’re ever after anything Yamaha-related (but probably not motorcycles) then Yamaha London is great place to deal with.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember getting some Mackie monitors through the GAK live chat thing. The sales assistant threw in some stands and a discount without me asking. Ordered on the Saturday turned up on the Tuesday. Must have been cos it was 4.30pm and he wanted to make a sale.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1028
    I don’t think there is a hard and fast rule. It really depends on who you speak to and also the stock you are buying.

I have got between £200 and £600 of guitars over the last few years, and I have also been told there isn’t any discount as they could easily sell that item at full price.

if you speak to the decision maker you have a better chance of a discount, but I also don’t get worked up if they decision maker has decided he prefers to hold out for the full asking price. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    I’ve done it before, I’d say the odds in my experience is about 50/50.  There really is nothing lost if you ask, your position is even or gain, they aren’t exactly going to say “how about 10% on top of listed?”.

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    I've tried Gear4Music with no success - Each time I've asked they said they'd talk to the supervisor and call me back - But I never did get the call back and I tried 3 times with different Sales persons. In fact one of them just said "No we don't give discounts" and put the phone down on me, Ha ha.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1970
    Just make sure you ask for the strings at the same time as the discount. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9443
    Frequently works with Guitar Guitar ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I have with guitar guitar; I think once the lower price was agreed through chat they then emailed me the link to our agreed deal.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1553
    Asking for a discount in the equipment world is not deemed cheeky - worst case is they say no.

From my experience, if it is a product that’s flying out the stores, and if a new customer, then I’ve not managed to achieve anything.

But a mixture of loyalty and items that are not the hottest just released ticket has helped.

Also bear in mind that places like Gear4Music appear to have a no online or phone discounts policy (at least that’s what they told me).

I bought a Player Tele from a Denmark St shop back in 2018. When I first gave it a try out, I asked if they could shave the price, and was told no.

When I went back a week later, I had another play, and said how about £500 cash (£39 discount) and the same guy said yes - so it can come down to someone’s mood or even weekly economics. And guess what - he offered a free set of strings too !

Bottom line - never take it personally.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    I do remember one shop, sadly no longer with us, where I got 10 sets of strings.  I asked for a discount, but was told by the staff member that he would get in trouble with a cash discount, so got the 10 sets of strings.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom