At 69 Glenn Hughes still sounds pretty amazing

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
Considering how many people don't look after their voices, Glenn is still a kick ass singer. I just chanced upon this band, the Dead Daisies - never heard of them before but apparently they have 5 albums in the can. Anyway, I thought that it was a cool rockin' track and Glenn sounds surprisingly good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    edited March 2021
    He is but...

I have seen him a few times in the last decade, a charity gig with Jon Lord (sorry that was nearly 12 years ago) a solo show and one of his Purple sets. On the whole really good, great musicians, great bass playing, great vocals but... he does this oversinging Stevie Wonder-esque (nowt wrong with Stevie btw) improv that gets rather wearing. You can hear it from when he was in Purple in the 70s too. If he stuck to the script more live it would be way better. Still very worth seeing though. The Purple shows, especially had a great guy on guitar, two Marshall stacks, nailed the Blackmore sound and style but with his own sauce added. Smiled all the way through too   Burn, Mistreated etc etc  =)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Soren Andersen was the player...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    From the thread title I was hoping he might have improved in the same way as Robert Plant has...

I could never stand his voice - he almost ruins the Stormbringer album for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I've seen him a couple of times and although his voice is incredible he over eggs it constantly with the high register to the point it gets a bit wearing.

Couple that with the 20 minute monologues in between songs about his bezza mate Tommy Bolin and the fact he just loves us guys because we made him what he is and he's had such a fabulous career ( all the while the band are twiddling their thumbs and looking at the floor hoping the screaming diva will accidentally fall off the front of the stage and put them out of their misery )

I'll just listen to his recorded work I think. It's a lot less stressful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    If you like pop rock and a more AOR, mellower vibe, the Hughes and Thrall (Pat Thrall from the Pat Travers Band) from the 80s is very good. Not polished and pretty sparse and raw, but a fine offering.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24186
    The Dead Daisies are an invitational band.

Quite a few albums but with line up changes each time aside from the organiser. The new one is the first with Hughes.

I like it, but the previous one is their best I reckon.
    I love John Corabi's voice with The Dead Daisies.
    Logie said:
    I love John Corabi's voice with The Dead Daisies.
    Me too.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2349
    Logie said:
    I've seen him a couple of times and although his voice is incredible he over eggs it constantly with the high register to the point it gets a bit wearing.

Couple that with the 20 minute monologues in between songs about his bezza mate Tommy Bolin and the fact he just loves us guys because we made him what he is and he's had such a fabulous career ( all the while the band are twiddling their thumbs and looking at the floor hoping the screaming diva will accidentally fall off the front of the stage and put them out of their misery )

I'll just listen to his recorded work I think. It's a lot less stressful.
    Couple that with his image of purposefully trying to look like someone’s nan that refuses to let their hair grow grey gracefully, and I can’t help but agree with your closing thought. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I saw him a few years ago with Joe Bonamassa in Black Country Communion at High Voltage and he was brilliant.
    I have a lot of admiration for bass playing frontmen, it's not the easiest job in the world.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I saw him in Southampton, it was good but the high pitch scream every five minutes done my nut in! The highlight though was watching the guitarist, Doug Aldrich is a cracking player.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    edited March 2021
    @zepp76 said
    I saw him in Southampton, it was good but the high pitch scream every five minutes done my nut in! The highlight though was watching the guitarist, Doug Aldrich is a cracking player.

I really like Doug Aldrich's playing within the confines of a song, especially with the Daisies but I find his solo spots are as boring to listen to as Slash's. Not that I wouldn't take a smidge of his talent.

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    I do like his voice, actually I really like it in Stormbringer @icbm but the autotune on this track gets me down. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • westwest Frets: 996

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22707

On the whole I like Glenn Hughes' voice, and I really like his contributions to Deep Purple (and Black Sabbath).

He does overdo the vocal histrionics, though, and I think I'm more conscious of it nowadays because the newer material isn't so good.  He seems mildly deranged, too.

Not a fan of Aldrich, he looks like a cool bluesy hard rock guy but his solos are always too shreddy.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    We're auto tuning people that can actually sing in tune now?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11883
    axisus said:
    Considering how many people don't look after their voices, Glenn is still a kick ass singer. I just chanced upon this band, the Dead Daisies - never heard of them before but apparently they have 5 albums in the can. Anyway, I thought that it was a cool rockin' track and Glenn sounds surprisingly good.

Is it a question of looking after your voice, or is it luck of the draw?
    I've heard a few where it's all gone wrong (e.g. David Coverdale), whereas Tom Jones is still singing competently at 80
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    axisus said:

Is it a question of looking after your voice, or is it luck of the draw?
    I've heard a few where it's all gone wrong (e.g. David Coverdale), whereas Tom Jones is still singing competently at 80
    And Tony Bennett into his 90s (though very sad he has Altzhiemers now)

I didn't enjoy Black Country Communion at all, it sounded fake and forced throughout. Not blaming JoBo for that - his Beth Hart collaboration is ace - Glenn Hughes feels like a legend in his own head, just don't like the sound or the aura.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    The "Voice of Rock" thing is super cringy when he uses it himself.

Leave that to the journos if they want to use it at all.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I saw him with his own band about seven or eight years ago. I had no expectations but was quite blown away, his voice was so good live. After that I listened to some of his solo stuff, the BCC stuff...he seems to have struggled to associate himself with a well written song since Purple. He did a blues album at some point which I remember as particularly awful. I'm not much of a lyric listener but he seems to be a bit too much moon in June and that gets tiring. 
    He also seems to think Cannock is in the Black Country; I don't think it is, it's just where people from the Black Country go dogging.   

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom