So what has gone well for you in the Pandemic world of the last year?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I think that my biggest win over the past year is that I have revitalised my piano playing and I am back at the sort of level I had probably 40 years ago. I'm not as good at some things (memorising music!), but other stuff is way off my old scale - working out my own (simplified) arrangements for songs, playing along to music with just a chord chart and generally noodling around for fun - oh yes, written a couple of pieces as well - never used to do that!

I have been greatly enjoying it, and against the odds I have actually memorised a few songs. I have had this long song blue-tacked to the wall in our house for about 20 years, and failed terribly in learning it. I would go years without attempting it, but then get a bit interested again. Well, I can't play it through well yet, but I finally have the whole thing in my head!

It's been good, and I'm really keeping the interest going.

What has gone well for you lot?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Money really.

Earning more by progressing in my role as I’m less knackered 24/7, and saving a lot more as there is little expense required to earn it. 

Other than that, people. Lack of them. Probably done my mood a world of good. 

I actually ‘met’ 2 girls over lockdown at different times of course, online. We started talking, daily, thought yeah this is good.. 

But then they went off because they’re actually seeing some other bloke.. like in person etc.. 

I was like woah thats upsetting, and also wtf, no regard for the pandemic or laws then either. 

Guess water under the bridge but still. People. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    Took up the violin, having lessons really enjoying it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273

Started a couch to 5k on 13th March last year and ahve been doing 5k 3 times a week ever since which is good
    Wrote a novel in November
    Wrote, produced, recorded and mixed an album with my band last month
    Released a decent lockdown cover video with the band
    Have recordings and video for 2 more lockdown cover videos
    Spent more time with the kids.

Although it has been tiring, and stressful at times (although cant really complain as have had my wife handling home schooling mostly solo) I definitely think I've made the most out of the time.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited March 2021
    I rid myself of a life sucking leech and am now slowly becoming the more confident person I once was. Getting myself together, starting to believe in myself and getting another bike on the road. I’ve also got my prospectus for the open university to possibly try for some qualifications in counselling, I see no point in having gone through what I have in life if I can’t use it positively to help other people.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Relaxing so much I don't really fancy going back to work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    It's given me a good excuse for not talking to boring people.
    Normally I''d feel rude being abrupt with others, now I'm actually compelled by law to be horrible and unsociable.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Having worked all the way through, mainly financial improvements - severely reduced outgoings has turned £4k of low interest debts into about the same in savings.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited March 2021
    Financially I've done well. I'm retired. My pension income is more than enough for my basic needs. Less outgoings, particularly larger ones (i.e. no holiday). Spent a bit on my garden instead. However, I've got spare income to save nearly every month. Additionally, my investments have done very well. I'm sure this has been in part because, when markets fell around 30% in March last year, my portfolio was only down about 18%. On top of which I had spare money saved at that time, and, by pure luck, had it invested on the day the stock market hit bottom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Quite a lot.  

Recorded and launched an album 
    made guitars and basses
    made nice food 
    watched some good movies
    read more 
    all the foreign holiday money saved went into buying a nice convertible for fine weather uk travel. That would never have happened 
    Nice to have a family Christmas without tedious driving  around all over the place 

I’ve missed social life especially meeting for drinks and food. zoom doesn’t cut it. Missed gigs. Missed foreign travel. Felt sorry for my young adult kids - what a bunch of crap to deal with when you are at max party age. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Fuckall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Doing my lessons online and having to go through a lot of trial and error but now got a good setup and retained over half my clients.

Finally acquired a Kemper profiler last year in May after several years of saving. Total gamechanger in terms of sounds and practicality. 

Got into the recording thing a bit more and as a result my playing has become a lot cleaner and clinical as I can hear every nuance of what I'm doing then listening back and realising there's excess string noise or an incorrect note etc.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Since my lads came back off furlough in May we have never been busier in our family business and since September it's been mental. So much work that we have a backlog till July. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16011
    Realising how lazy a lot of people are ...........regarding Covid as a convenient excuse rather than a terrible inconvenience ( albeit a potentially life-threatening one )
    Because Covid ????????????.........the woeful excuse of many companies whose day to day operation is relatively unaffected or the task in hand is totally divorced from Covid issues.
    Plenty of people on the Covid Holiday.
    Plenty of companies also finding it a convenient excuse for redundancy and progression of AI etc etc .
    When the going gets tough,the tough get going or not as the case may be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited March 2021
    Accumulating a very useful biological fat storage facility in the near vicinity, in case there’s ever a food shortage lasting a month or more. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Changed companies. It's been great. My mental health has hugely transformed. I'm so much happier now than I was in 2016-2019. Mates will know why.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Nothing good for me. Quite the opposite.
    Lost my job (redundancy). Cannot, as yet, find another one.
    Done so much playing whilst stuck at home I've developed RSI in my left hand and wrist and it hurts like fuck. Seven weeks now and no sign of improvement.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Jaycee said:
    Took up the violin, having lessons really enjoying it
    That's one way of ensuring everybody stays at least 2m away.

Seriously though, kudos to you - having watched my son wrestle with it, I know how hard it is to learn.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Finally completed my training and got a permanent job, with people I enjoy working with and a good management team. I've also managed to get condensed hours so I have Tuesdays off which is nice.

We've got a house purchase/renovation/extension in progress as well (still at the "paying lots of money for intangible things" stage, but hoping to be able to put the extension out to tender by May). Our expenses have reduced as well with lockdown so it's been helpful for saving though it's still expensive enough that the number doesn't seem real.

We've done a walk as a family at least 4 days a week which is nice too
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Nothing really.  I've had a lousy year.  Covid and lockdowns haven't helped, but they're not the cause.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Honestly covid times have been kind to me...

Working from home really enabled me to do a lot more biking / skiing / cross country than for years.

Seen loads more of my kids, which at their age has been lovely.

Got back into coding

Played a ridiculous amount of drums and am finally starting to improve.