Toothache. It's the worse

What's Hot
Especially during a pandemic. Can't get an appointment to see the dentist call 111, they just say take pain killers (that are doing nothing) and get some stuff from the Chemist to give myself a temporary filling.
Evolution sure did fuck up when it comes to teeth, making the pain so bad with a small cavity.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Yes it is.... :s
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    Ibuprofen and paracetamol. Alternate two hours apart.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3897
    Clove oil. It contains an active ingredient that's proven to be a very effective anaesthetic. Never tried it myself but I know others who said it worked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7841
    m_c said:
    Ibuprofen and paracetamol. Alternate two hours apart.
    I had a tooth infection, was the worst pain I’ve ever had.  Was on ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin, and quite a lot of codine - that combo was the only thing that numbed it until the antibiotics kicked in. 

Codine ruined my digestive system though, won’t go near that stuff again in a hurry. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    Deadman said:
    Clove oil. It contains an active ingredient that's proven to be a very effective anaesthetic. Never tried it myself but I know others who said it worked.
    It does work but don’t overdo it cos it burns like hell. 

I had a temporary filling while I waited for a crown to be fitted. An infection set in underneath and eventually it had ulcerated so much that it burst through the side of my gum. Hurt like a bitch. I was taking the strongest painkillers I could get at double the dose and it still wasnt touching the pain. Typically this was at the weekend of course. I got an emergency appointment but the dentist wouldn’t issue any meds so I ended up at A&E where they gave me some really strong stuff. They were anal suppositories, but I didn’t care by that point. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited March 2021
    You have my sympathies. I had this during 1st lockdown. The only thing that would numb the pain was sipping cold water every 2 minutes. I spent 30 hours in that straight, pacing around the house with a bottle and a bucket spitting out what I’d sipped. At one point I even paced around the high street at 3 a.m. just as a distraction, spitting water out as I went. It was awful, never known pain like it. I got an emergency appointment, was so glad when the needle went in, instant relief. It was expensive though, a few weeks later I’d had root canal work and a gold crown.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7105
    dentist back to normal here thank christ

literally went to see him last week on thurs and he took my wisdom tooth out the next day, no bother

bit weird that it had 3 roots on it instead of 2 so it didn't half take him a while getting it out, glad it's gone though
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    I got to see my dentist about a month ago. I was a bit wary about going but it was fine.

It's not a competition.
  • You could pull a @zepp76 and stick your entire body through a mangling mangle machine and rip the tooth out?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Why isn't your dentist open ?
    every Dentist I pass is open as normal subject to getting your temperature tested on entry
    Just go to another Dentist
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    You could pull a @zepp76 and stick your entire body through a mangling mangle machine and rip the tooth out?
    I wouldn’t suggest it, that’s the first part I ripped out. The rest was NOT pretty! But the relief was phenomenal after nearly 8 months of waiting I think it was.  :s

Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4629
    Dominic said:
    every Dentist I pass is open as normal subject to getting your temperature tested on entry
    It's open for the old and high risk only, as most are around here. Man with no underlying health issues who has just turned 50 not a priority.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Crush some ibruprofen and strong painkillers (paracet or whatever)

Stuff into cavity. It'll sting for 15 mins but will help greatly.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Sorry - I cannot resist. Is it safe ??

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Dominic said:
    It's open for the old and high risk only, as most are around here. Man with no underlying health issues who has just turned 50 not a priority.
    I wouldn't piss around with that nonsense.....go somewhere sensible
    Go Private ( probably wont cost hardly any difference )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Just had an infected and impacted wisdom out last week, tooth pain can be ridiculous. 
    Just go see another dentist and get seen to right away, they can’t leave you in that condition ffs
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I’d get an appointment in the next town. I would try anywhere. If it’s private they will take your money, and I am sure you are allowed to travel for medical reasons, and even if it’s potentially borderline I would still travel.
    I wouldn’t put up with it and would source a dentist wherever I had to go. 
    A couple of hours on the phone should mean you could sort something out somewhere. 
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    when i was ten ,I had an abscess. It was murder, killing me.
    My mum took me to several dentist to get it sorted, but they kept refusing to treat me.
    we had to walk miles to finally find a Dentist who kindly pulled the tooth out.
     Funny thing was because I was grizzling so much ,my mum bought me a stick of nice sugary rock to chew to shut me up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4629
    Finally have an appointment on Saturday. It looks like most dental practices are giving up NHS treatment. Yes I'm fortunate I can pay £90 for a temporary filling (all they are doing at the moment), but that would be alot of money for some and dental health is just as important as any other ailment.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    Had an abscess once, that throb just does not go away and the pain was relentless.

In my self-pity I looked for other sufferers out there in Internet land and found a whole forum of like minded souls all on the verge of insanity.

The thing that helped, not much, was just to sip whisky and hold it on the said tooth for as long as I could.

People on that forum were taking ridiculous amounts of pain killers, OD'ying for sure. But they didn't care a dot.

I must say that when those antibiotics kicked in I was so relieved. Hard to imagine how our ancestors dealt with it in the days before dentists. The whole population must've been in agony.