Ring finger contact on strings

What's Hot
Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
edited March 2021 in Technique
While my Index and middle fingers make good contact with the strings on their tips and the force I apply comes straight down through those fingers, my ring finger always seems to hit the string more towards the 'pad' of the finger when playing lead, meaning the finger is oriented flatter and looks more 'caved in' against the fretboard and means there tends to be overextension at the first joint of the finger.

It feels like it is holding my playing back as when hitting with the pad it isn't as accurate and I'm aware this sometimes means I am fretting 2 strings accidentally when actually only needing 1.

Hopefully that makes sense! 

Just curious on this. I've gone back to some basic 3/4 note per string chromatic warm ups to try to improve this but not noticing much difference after a month of daily work focusing on this. I'm wondering if this is even a problem at all and how other people find this finger tends to strike the strings and any tips to strengthen it that I may be missing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tsj93tsj93 Frets: 56
    repeating a phrase slowly and initially making a conscious effort to bend/crook your ring finger will help, as the angle to hit the strings will be perpendicular to the string. After a while it becomes second nature.

Funnily enough I was practicing sweep and roll overs, where you need to do what you initially describe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom