Decent wine thread

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24250
There's a fair few fans of the old Vino Collapso on here so I thought it would be good to combine our er.... 'research' results.

Can I suggest we keep it under a tenner a bottle?  Anyone can recommend a Chateau Lafitte but we're not millionaires here!

My latest discovery is 19 Crimes.  - An Aussie blend that is rather nice.  Usually £9, often found on offer at £7.  Tesco.

Lindeman's Tollana Shiraz-Cabernet blend is very gluggable and cheap at £4.50 in Asda.

Yellow Tail Shiraz and Merlot are both tidy too.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I know you said under a tenner but treat yourself to a bottle of chocolate block red for around £21.99 sometime and thank me later.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    edited March 2021
    Blue Nun.
    Lambrusco.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not really a fan of whine.

Bye!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    edited March 2021
    I'm strictly into red, so here goes...

19 crimes, but specifically, ' The Banished'. Looks like blood, very dark, and tastes like heaven. Amazing stuff. Seen recently for £8 in Asda.

Barefoot Shiraz. The orange label one, although all the rest are good too... £5.50 - £6.50 generally. I'm drinking it right now.

Morrisons The Best Burgundy. Under a tenner. I like it with a good ribeye.

Edit: I almost forgot JP Chenet, specifically the Cabernet Syrah blend. Bloody lush stuff. I got very pissed on it over Christmas. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12310
    Plain old Hardy’s crest Chardonnay is a winner and casillero Diablo. I’m into Spanish and italian reds and South African Pinot noir. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    I’m led to believe the monks at Buckfast Abbey make a fruity little number, and it’s fortified which must make it good for you.... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lidl do a Bordeaux for about £6ish that’s quite nice. 
    Usually go for the 2 for £10 in Morrisons for day to day wine - Klein St Cabernet Sauvignon/Sauvignon Blanc or Kumala. 

Tbh, my consumption has gone up so much I can’t afford to spend more than a fiver a bottle! 

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3012
    edited March 2021
    Now that my dry 2 months is over.......The Wine Society. Costs about £40 to join but that’s for life. Great selection of wines that are different from the supermarket ones. You can order as much or as little you want, anytime, delivered. Highly recommended. Plenty of sub £10 choices. My current fave is the Biferno Rosso Riserva for £9.

At the supermarket, I check out what’s in Lidl’s cellar range, it changes a lot and there’s good stuff to be found.

At Tesco there’s Vina Sol, Sangre de Toro, Melini Chianti Governo, any Rioja, Casillero Diablo.  I like  Italian and  Spanish, I prefer old world to new world powerhouses. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Keep an eye on Aldi’s selection, sometimes they get in a very good St-Emilion and put it on offer.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Naked Wines are very good, subscription based and lots of bargains.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    I find Co-Op are the best of the supermarkets at the moment - some excellent value in the £5-10 range.  They have a bottle called something like “5 Winemakers” with all their faces in the label. Very good value.

Also look for bottles from Romania, Moldova, and if you can find it Slovenia.  All very good at the moment because people don’t know about them

• I really like the classic Portuguese rose, Matheus.

It's not particularly complex but, for me, it's everything an affordable rise needs to be. Drink it cold, outdoors, in summer. 

I shop with naked wines - they have consistently excellent wine for a good price. A few bottles I've not been keen on (I don't like anything too oaky, so that's some big chardonnay and reds out, but they have all sorts) but almost all have been superb. 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited March 2021
    I go straight to Aldi now for wine. Their Argentinian Buenavista Vides Malbec is a lovely bottle as is their Toco Loco Superior organic and Baron Amarillo Rioja ( I’m sifting through my empties as I type ) All for under £6. As a few people here have mentioned, 19 Crimes is very nice and I quite like the Campo Viejo Rioja that often comes up for sale at £6.50 in Sainsbury’s. 
    For white I’d definitely recommend The Ned Sauvignon Blanc and also Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc. They come down to around £7-£8 occasionally.
    I don’t find any of them complex. They’re dead easy to open :)
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Toro Loco Tinto Superior at Aldi. Just under £4 a bottle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    As the President of England’s largest sherry club, may I just take the opportunity to mention that a most excellent bottle of amontillado or palo cortado will only set you back £12-14, so pleeeeeease do expand your horizons and try it!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2233
    Chateauneuf de Pap and yes it's over a tenner. Just get it. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Red Wine is a drink I do miss. I always enjoyed a glass of Côtes du Rhône.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4086
    I drink plenty of merlot and chianti  but I don't remember any brands,  I like the variation and excitement of opening a new bottle and the surprise and joy of it is super nice, especially after breakfast.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    sev112 said:
    I find Co-Op are the best of the supermarkets at the moment - some excellent value in the £5-10 range.  They have a bottle called something like “5 Winemakers” with all their faces in the label. Very good value.

Also look for bottles from Romania, Moldova, and if you can find it Slovenia.  All very good at the moment because people don’t know about them

This stuff here is an absolutely incredible value - 

https://www.coop.co.uk/products/don-david-blend-of-terroirs-malbec-malbec-806303
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5354
    I second @MagicPigDetective - if you're a wino, join the Wine Society. They really have stuff for all pockets, and there's loads of stuff at <£10 a bottle that pisses all over the supermarket equivalent, because they're not for profit ...

The biggest problem is you tend to buy in bulk, because of the delivery aspect, which means until you settle into it, you drink a lot more than normal :)