Nut/string guide material with a zero fret

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375
I have a zero fret Gretsch and the strings to bind on the nut/string guide behind the zero fret. 

Lubrication makes a difference, but has anyone replaced the string guide on a zero fret guitar with a Tusqxl or Teflon one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    Have you tried dressing the existing nut slots to reduce the binding?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    Yes, but not with plastic - try brass. With a little lubricant it's far lower friction than any plastic, which is why it's often used for bearings in engineering. If you could make it in phosphor bronze, even better...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375
    Have you tried dressing the existing nut slots to reduce the binding?
    They’ve been dressed, it’s just that they need to be kept lubricated, though maybe a bit more dressing would be in order

ICBM said:
    Yes, but not with plastic - try brass. With a little lubricant it's far lower friction than any plastic, which is why it's often used for bearings in engineering. If you could make it in phosphor bronze, even better...
    Any particular makers you’d recommend?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    Sorry, no idea, I would make one from brass stock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320

ICBM said:
    Any particular makers you’d recommend?
    I bought one off ebay ages ago.
    Can't remember which supplier though.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7211
    You can make a jewellers mop out of a piece of string, just unwrap it to make it all strands. Then use a little Brasso and the mop to 'polish' the nut and it will make it smoother on the nut slots. 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    Thomann do Webster adjustable brass nuts for a variety of guitars including a 'single cut'  https://www.thomann.de/gb/abm_6210_webster_nut_lp_style.htm
    I have one that came on an acoustic I bought. Possibly not the prettiest nut ever, but works well and is surprisingly adjustable.
    I’ve a friend who has fabricated some bridges and bits for me in the past, I think I’ll reach out to him