Lou Ottens

What's Hot
scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
No, I'd never heard of him, either.

He invented the audio cassette tape.

This may mean little or nothing to younger forumites, but his invention changed the musical world, bringing portability, piracy and mixtapes (although we called them compilation tapes back in the 70s) to the masses. I can remember buying my first Saisho "walkman" from Dixons and I never again had to listen to the inane chatter of my fellow commuters again.

And now, sadly, his eject button has been pressed.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    There was a question on House of Games the other week about how many cassettes are still sold in the UK each year. I can't remember the answer but it was some, they haven't gone away completely. But, yes, important guy in the history of modern music.
    I offer this by way of tribute...

RIP Lou

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    There was a question on House of Games the other week about how many cassettes are still sold in the UK each year. I can't remember the answer but it was some, they haven't gone away completely.

I was watching that on iPlayer just a few days ago, but I cant remember the number either! 

I never liked pre-recorded cassettes, always thought the sound quality was rubbish, but I did do a lot of home taping of my own and friends' albums.  I don't think it Killed Music... that was to come later.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom