Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Andertons launching a new paid video subscription service

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
See here.

Read the comments.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1123
    An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: iJd7kOC9zMyaa9h4)
    Learn More

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    S56035 said:

I think it would be an error if they tried to charge for their videos.  As well produced and entertaining as they are, they are sales videos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited March 2021
    S56035 said:
    Learn More

Bloody link doesn't work. I've edited the OP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "Seriously? Pay to watch Anderton’s adverts, advert Free. You Cannot be Serious?"

lol
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    Is it April 1 already? Or are they a bit early...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    It's OK, I'm sure when they get Chappers to post a video complaining about the tone of the comments, the online controversy will die down... ;)

Seriously though, the general consensus that Andertons make entertaining adverts for stuff you can buy at Andertons at best and that paying to watch them will be a hard sell seems fairly accurate.

As with all business ideas though, the market decides, if they don't attract subscribers then they don't make any money.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    It might work for them, 230 negative comments is a small proportion of their total subscribers
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Could also just be an early April fools that's gone a bit nuts.

"You will get free shipping"... which they do anyway... etc. - can smell a large toothy rodent in there.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    They have their fanboys and if by subscribing you get discounts at Andertons  and are a regular customer may well be worth it. 
    But their video content is only comparable to dozens of other channels, some of whom understand how to edit. I have YouTube premium at the moment so I can watch their content ad free anyway.     
    Certainly a No from me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    Depends what the content is going to be. Not all of their content is about gear, such as "the captain meets..." Although I'm sure even if it was just gear demos, there would be plenty of people stupid enough to sign up and pay for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I seem to remember Norman's Rare Guitars tried to launch something similar. I don't think it even got off the ground.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited March 2021
    This seems normal to every channel, whenever they get to a certain size, they try to take the next step to get even more revenue.  Sometimes they forgot the formula that got them there in the first place.

Linus Tech Tips has gotten so big it has like half a dozen channels, which each one no doubt generating good ad revenue and sponsorship revenue.  They even have a team who translate everything into Chinese and put the same stuff on Chinese YouTube for double dipping from the same content.

They are now trying to start a new platform for creators outside of YouTube, like YouTube, in a way compete with YouTube.  Which I understand because with everything for them based in YouTube, it is having all your eggs in 1 basket.  If YouTube goes down, they go down.

But Andertons is a guitar box shifter first, media company 2nd surely.  Their eggs are not all in the YouTube space.  YouTube is a means for them to get exposure.  Instead of making a 20 seconds ad and pay YouTube to put their ads in other people's videos, they make 20min ads and get paid for people watching them on top of sales revenue.

Ad-free YT videos is not much an incentive for users with ad blockers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Keiko said:
    Depends what the content is going to be. Not all of their content is about gear, such as "the captain meets..." Although I'm sure even if it was just gear demos, there would be plenty of people stupid enough to sign up and pay for it.
    But the Captain generally meets people who are promoting something so often very similar content elsewhere. They may well be less interested in being interviewed for a smaller audience.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1123
    I guess paying to watch adverts isn't totally new - Cinema, Sky Sports etc etc but I'm certainly not paying to watch an advert on Youtube.  I'd seen them mention this before but I was expecting it to be more instructional vidoes rather than just more demos.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I would only accept a very generous payment to watch them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    To be fair to them, it’s sounds like their may be video lessons on there given the mention of there new play like series. Although they will need to be pretty good quality and be very regular if they want people to pay for them. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    "offering a fully curated..."
    Why is everything curated these days?
    Is it a hipster thing?
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Sassafras said:
    "offering a fully curated..."
    Why is everything curated these days?
    Is it a hipster thing?
    Sounds more like a museum piece.....
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    I've watched Anderton's videos but it wouldn't put me up or down if I never saw another.  I'd have zero interest in paying for it.  In fact if it was free but you needed to sign up and log on to watch them I wouldn't bother.  The internet is awash with guitar related stuff and I suspect I'm not the only person getting turned off by how cynically commercial it's all getting.  (Actually I'm not sure to what extent it's gotten more cynically commercial and to what extent I'm just noticing it more.  Either way I feel less well disposed to a lot of the on-line gear pushers than I used to be, and I'm increasingly getting the sense that I'm far from alone).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”