Gumtree selling advice please.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I opened an account the other day and have sold a couple of bits to two good people but received a message from someone asking to email their “mum” with the details, which I did and got this reply:

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price,i'm buying this for my son .but i just want you to assure me very well on this and the issue is that I'm very busy for now and am not around but i have a pick up agent coming for the pick up after the payment has been made to you and he will be present for all necessary thing that is needed. Due to my job, there is strictly no call that is why i ask my daughter to send you an email our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop.i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it

My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction , if you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.Just log on to www.paypal.co.uk,so i hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible.I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. Kindly get back to me with your

Full Name:
PayPal E-Mail Address:
Firm price:
Phone Number

Something just doesn’t sit right with me, any thoughts?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Stay clear. Has all the hallmarks of a scam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    edited March 2021
    "I will be responsible for the fees" is a giveaway.

Fees don't apply for "Friend's & Family" transactions (non reversible). The option with fees offers buyer protection so no doubt if you post or have something collected they will file an item not received claim.

"Satellite server" is hilarious though, it screams Nigerian scam.

Insist on cash, bank transfer or PayPal F&F
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    100% scam. Avoid.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Scam.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    JerkMoans said:

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Scam.

Think you have a fine palate? I’ll send you an original 1982 packet of these, your taste buds will never be the same again!  :s

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    That green one!  :)
    wesker123 said:
    That green one!  :)
    It was the green one I tried first when they came out, and gagged! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    ask them for their phone number and then phone it and fart down the phone then hang up
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16087
    Tell them you do not trust Paypal or bank money and that you will accept;
    I strong camel,2 young female goats,and 6 Gerbils and not a Gerbil less !

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited March 2021
    It's a variant of one of the most popular gumtree scams. RAFM. Run a fucking mile. 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 461
    Has PayPal but no online banking - righto.  I’m always compelled to figure out the scam and try to scam them back, but in reality it’s best just to avoid 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Isn’t it the scam of paying for goods via PayPal, and then claiming a refund (and PayPal side with purchaser) without returning goods ?

I have had the ‘I am living abroad so will send my courier to collect’ scam pitched at me on Gumtree.

The emails are getting more convincing - so if you didn’t know, it could be an easy trap...
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    I'm done with selling on Gumtree now.  It's nothing but a cesspit of lowball chancers and scammers.  I tried to sell a TV on there recently and despite it already being priced low to sell quickly, I got nothing but grief.  One guy wanted a third of the asking price and for me to drive a 60 mile round trip to deliver it for him. 

Shortly after that I had someone give me a stupidly low offer and then proceed to say "Please, I'm begging you, it's all I have".  I pulled the ad after replying to tell them that they needed to start looking for a TV that they *could* afford.  The sense of entitlement of some people is astounding.  Oh, and people are rarely polite.

I only sell on eBay £1 final value weekends now, not that eBay isn't without its fair share of idiots, but nothing like those on Gumtree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I’ve never had a bad experience with gumtree. I had a guy from London want to buy a guitar from me but I said bank transfer only which he was fine with, he sent me a case as I only had a box then a courier collected. 

This though is a scam I’m certain of it. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    All sounds very reasonable.

If you want to get scammed.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    My feeling is if an email is more than about 3 lines long, it's probably a scam.
  • definite scam. you need to read my book on online scams, just send me $99 and il send it to you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    definite scam. you need to read my book on online scams, just send me $99 and il send it to you.
    If you pay the postage fully insured to Outer Mongolia that’d be great thank you.
  • zepp76 said:
    definite scam. you need to read my book on online scams, just send me $99 and il send it to you.
    If you pay the postage fully insured to Outer Mongolia that’d be great thank you.
    mt blind wheelchairbound nigerian godmother has just sent you a westernunion money transfer