Murray Walker.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
Just announced.

RIP to a legend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    Oh wow. We all knew it had to happen eventually, I suppose - 97 is bloody good going. An absolute giant of F1 and general broadcasting history. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    RIP - a legend - He had a good innings and was glad to have worked in a job that he enjoyed so much
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Loved the commentary with James Hunt back in the day. Always made F1 come alive. Real voice of my childhood.

97 is a great age.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    He was a real highlight of broadcasting.
    He set the standard for GP commentators and nobody has come close. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Giant of F1 and responsible for bringing the sport to millions of people with his commentary.  He saw many greats in his time and should be remembered alongside them.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3138
    tFB Trader
    Quite embarrassing to admit but when I'm racing around Silverstone it's always his voice that I hear in my head. Overtaking a 1966 Ford Mustang 289 through Maggots and Becketts in my 1.6 MX5 and I hear...

"I can't believe what's happening visually, in front of my eyes"

The power of his voice in the sport, not just F1 but BTCC too, was everything.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22767
    edited March 2021
    Oh dear, he's another one who I thought had already died some time ago.... There have been a few of those recently. 

I haven't really followed F1 in recent years but it's always his voice I imagine when I think about it.  RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    A superb commentator who clearly enjoyed what he did, one of those whose voice was the voice of his sport in the UK. 

And let's not forget his previous career in advertising, he came up with "Trill makes budgies bounce with health".

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    RIP Murray

The Voice....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    RiftAmps said:
    Quite embarrassing to admit but when I'm racing around Silverstone it's always his voice that I hear in my head. Overtaking a 1966 Ford Mustang 289 through Maggots and Becketts in my 1.6 MX5 and I hear...

"I can't believe what's happening visually, in front of my eyes"
    I think you mean

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT'S HAPPENING VISUALLY IN FRONT OF MY EYES!!!"

:)

Absolute legend.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I got into F1 watching with my Dad, and Murray/Hunt were the commentators. 

No one else has ever come close to bringing such excitement and enthusiasm to the job. 
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 706
    Legend. RIP.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Oh wow. We all knew it had to happen eventually, I suppose - 97 is bloody good going. An absolute giant of F1 and general broadcasting history. 
    A giant of motorsport. His F1 commentary was good but his BTCC commentary was better. The legendary Cleland-BMW battle for instance...

And the longer version to the crashing end. 

And of course Tarquini at Knockhill 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Loved the commentary with James Hunt back in the day. Always made F1 come alive. Real voice of my childhood.

97 is a great age.
    Yeah, Murray and James were great.

RIP to a legend of sport
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 738
    (James Hunt and he would share a microphone so only one of them could talk! Modern commentators please note!!)

What a great commentator. Great voice and a great bloke. Those black and white GP commentaries in the 1960's were brilliant TV and then subsequently listening to him with my own boys on a Sunday afternoon was such a pleasure. Highlight for us was Damon Hill winning title at Japanese GP in 1996. GP days are not so good without him. 

RIP
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Brilliant commentator! The way he used his voice.. brilliant!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The soundtrack to the blood and thunder glory days of F1. He and James Hunt were great together. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    People associate Murray Walker with F1 but to me he will always be the voice of Moto Cross, or Motorcycle Scrambling as we used to call it, on Grandstand in the 1960's.

Even today I can recall him yelling "There goes Dave Bickers on his 250 Greaves!" and all the names of the sport, Geoff Smith, Arthur Lampkin, Chris Horsefield, Vic Eastwood, John Banks, are etched forever on my memory, thanks to Murray's compelling commentary.  The motorbikes too - Matchless, BSA, Husqvarna, Triumph, AJS, Ducati, I can still reel off these forgotten marques and I guess others of a certain age can too, simply because of that voice, from over 50 years ago. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    His enthusiasm for motorsport was so infectious. The word legend gets bandied around far too often, but it really applied to Murray (and James Hunt). RIP. 
  • A genuine giant of his job, and a genuinely nice bloke by all accounts. A few weeks ago the beeb repeated a doc about him that was made for (I think) his 90th birthday. There was a sequence of him going round the paddock preparing to do his job and all the drivers went up to shake his hand, not the other way around. The respect they all had for him was virtually tangible.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.