Lee Hazlewood

StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
Any other fans on here? Obviously some of the things he did with Nancy Sinatra are amazing, especially Some Velvet Morning, but I've been really enjoying his solo album Poet, Fool or Bum lately. Made in Sweden with what sounds like a band of absolutely top-notch session musicians. What else is good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I’ll have to listen to Poet. There’s a quote by Robert Lloyd that The Nightingales were like Amon Duul fronted by Lee Hazelwood so I probably need to listen in order to check out his ( I’m sure unlikely) influence on post punk bands from the West Midlands. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 625
    His last album was titled Cake or Death, after Eddie Izzard's Anglican sketch.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7820
    Very underrated. I’ve been listening to a lot of Less Hazlewood for a few years now.  He taught Phil Spectre all he knew, Hazlewood was the originator of Phil’s famous ‘wall of sound’. 

IMHO Some Velvet Morning is one of the best songs ever recorded. It’s quite unique (for the time), and still impresses me each time I hear it. A spectacular song. 

He was supposed to be a lovely chap too, quite humble (or so I read).  I think Kermode or Marconi might have interviewed him a few years before he died, and he was very surprised that people were rediscovering his music, quite self deprecating.  Was a long time ago though, barely remember if. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    And significant too for his production and writing contributions to many of Duane Eddy's big hits.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    @TheMarlin so what else is good? I have a double reissue of Poet, Fool or Bum with Back On The Street Again, which has its moments, but I don't know any of the other stuff from the 70s onward.
    The LHI Years
    Something Special
    Nancy and Lee
    Lee Hazelwoodism - it’s cause and it’s cure. 
    Nancy and Lee again
    Requiem for an Almost Lady

I could go on.....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Streaming a bunch this morning. I don’t think I’ve heard any of these before yesterday. My reference points for this are a bit Leonard Cohen, a bit Scott Walker, a bit Willie Nelson ( his more experimental phases rather often overlooked), a bit Benny Hill. The OTT orchestration and ooh ahh BVs  I start to find a bit hard going after a while. Couple off Cake or Death that caught my ear ( just more modern arrangement and production I guess) so I’ll check that album out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It’s all old music, symptomatic of its age.  It’s like an archeological dig going through his catalogue. 
    It’s great when you want something different. 
    I have music on most of the day and evening. Rarely watch TV these days, so I get through a lot of music. 
  • He produced one of Waylon Jennings albums Singer of Sad Songs. Did a great job, amazing sound on No Regrets, just acoustic guitar and a bass guitar. Waylon voice was right out there at that time.