I'm obsessed with Cardiacs

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
Sadly this great band was off my radar and I've only found out about them recently. It's also poignant because of the death of it's leader Tim Smith last year. He was a super mad musical genius who taught himself how to score music as a teenager.
Cardiacs music is just insane, crazy, exciting and sometimes completely bonkers..but played with incredible precision and energy. It is completely unique.
Someone wrote that there are more ideas in a single Cardiacs song than most artists have in a lifetime.. and they're not wrong.

Hold onto you hats... there are more changes to tempo and style in these songs than is almost humanly possible... and all these were scored by Tim.. Jaw dropping..

Visiting Hours

Jibber and Twitch

R.E.S

Tarred and Feathered.. This one is truly insane.. and was the one that hooked me.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was lucky enough to see them live quite a few times from maybe 2000 onwards until they were stopped in their tracks. It was just jaw-dropping to see them play this madness live, absolutely astounding.

They were definitely a big influence on my band at the time. Let's shove some unexpected chords in there! We met Tim and his wife at 1am in Glastonbury one time and were able to tell them where to get booze; we were star-struck!

Tim's crowd-funder for medical expenses met its target and then it's expanded target in an impossibly fast time, a measure of the love that fans feel.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I was lucky enough to see them live quite a few times from maybe 2000 onwards until they were stopped in their tracks. It was just jaw-dropping to see them play this madness live, absolutely astounding.

They were definitely a big influence on my band at the time. Let's shove some unexpected chords in there! We met Tim and his wife at 1am in Glastonbury one time and were able to tell them where to get booze; we were star-struck!

Tim's crowd-funder for medical expenses met its target and then it's expanded target in an impossibly fast time, a measure of the love that fans feel.
    Wow, I would love to have seen them live. Their energy and musicanship was breathtaking, the songs are sometimes impossibly complex..but just seem to work. I saw that Tim was given an Honorary Degree as Doctor of Music from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland shortly before he died ,which is incredibly rare for someone outside the classical music sphere. It just confirms how highly regarded he was. You are so fortunate to have met the man and experienced the band live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    My oldest friend’s favourite band. We generally like the same stuff and some of it quite avant garde but while I admire Cardiacs, I never enjoyed listening - technically superb, but hard work and rarely let up from the madness. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    My wife walks in the room while I'm watching the videos:

"Who you listening to?"

"Cardiacs"

"Oh, those that nearly gave me an anxiety attack in the car when you made me carry on listening to it?"

"Yeah"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    My wife walks in the room while I'm watching the videos:

"Who you listening to?"

"Cardiacs"

"Oh, those that nearly gave me an anxiety attack in the car when you made me carry on listening to it?"

"Yeah"
    Lol, my wife just said the same. She says it's her Room 101 songs. She says she feels like they are trying to peel here brain apart  :3
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323

equalsql said:
    I've only found out about them recently.
    Ah. The zeal of the newly converted. :)

Saw 'em two or three times in the late Eighties, while Sarah was still participating in live shows. (I still have the ticket stubs somewhere.)

Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim! 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    This one is....fucking majestic. 

edited April 2021
    Actually a decent cover...Avec Jim, no less. 

I defy you to remain unmoved by Jim's little smile. 
    edited April 2021
    Greatape said:

Amazing aren't they. I am in awe of their sheer creativity, musicianship and commitment. The most mind-blowing band I've ever heard... and that guitar solo is crazy and technically brilliant  :o
    equalsql said:
    Greatape said:

Amazing aren't they. I am in awe of their sheer creativity, musicianship and commitment. The most mind-blowing band I've ever heard... and that guitar solo is crazy and technically brilliant  :o
    I believe Tim stitched the solo together from several Jon Poole takes. But yep. There's a live video where he goes for it. Large testicles required. 
    edited April 2021
    Listening to them, I hear more than a little Jethro Tull influence
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't know Cardiacs at all really, well, apart from the Tarred and feathered video which I think is insanely amazing and one of the greatest videos ever. I feel I need to give them a listen, but here at work probably isn't the place to do it. 

ex-member Jon Poole is current bassist for one of my very favourite bands, prog rockers Lifesigns.
    axisus said:
    I don't know Cardiacs at all really, well, apart from the Tarred and feathered video which I think is insanely amazing and one of the greatest videos ever. I feel I need to give them a listen, but here at work probably isn't the place to do it. 

ex-member Jon Poole is current bassist for one of my very favourite bands, prog rockers Lifesigns.

I believe he also played bass in Dr Hook.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    This just got uploaded this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMKC_Hd_Zw

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    This just got uploaded this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMKC_Hd_Zw
    Laudations upon you for sharing. Awesome.

Random Jon Poole has done a few interviews recently (ish

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1307
    edited April 2023
    If I had to describe them - it would be a sort of weird mashup of Zappa meets Blur?

Strangely compelling to listen to if not a little exhausting.

I remember seeing Tarred And Feathered on The Word (?) and once seen you can never quite forget it.

Got to admire them for following their muse like that. It's the sound of unemployment but admirable nonetheless.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited April 2023
    @equalsql ;;;For something connected but different may I gently recommend the later solo work of keyboardist William D Drake (Cardiacs '83-'90) ?

Example below. Includes rather glorious trumpet outro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVf6yXCgY4g
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    The theme music for every ride at a punk fairground.

Some of it is just beyond me, but the stuff I can follow is awfully good. They even did crowd-pleasing pop once...

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    CaseOfAce said:
    Strangely compelling to listen to if not a little exhausting.
    I was introduced to the music of Cardiacs by my brother and his college friends. Apparently, in some venues, the hardcore fan contingent would dance to the compound time signatures. e.g. R. E. S.
    Be seeing you.