What if you are too old for the school band

phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
As a relative beginner the advice that seems to keep cropping up is playing with others really helps you improve.

Now I'm thinking post lock down restrictions on this.

But as a gentleman in my late 40s what is a good route to get to play with others. I am really a terrible player so where can I find people to play with that will be willing to tolerate my short comings 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Post-Covid - We need a jam night for not very good players! Only people below a certain standard allowed.

I may even pluck up courage to come to such a thing (but probably wouldn't)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3653
    About a dozen years ago I joined a new covers band that was put together by a 40 something, relative beginner, guitarist.  I was very experienced at playing in bands but not so much so as a lead guitarist (I'd been a bass player, a keyboard player and a rhythm guitarist).  I'd played in a couple of very good bands where I'd been the small fish but I was happy to try being the big fish in the small pool.  It was never going to be the best band in the world but we gigged, and got asked back, and the beginner became more experienced.  We had some fun.

We all have to start somewhere, the important think is to start.  Have a look at sites such as join-my-band.  If no one is looking for a guitarist then place an ad looking for a band or other musicians.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1276
    Bass player in one of my current covers bands is 63 and only took it up 10 years ago. It really is never too late to start. He just went along to an open mic/jam night and asked to sit in on some simple stuff that he’d taught himself.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 461
    After lockdown everyone will be a beginner again.  At least that's what I'm telling myself, that and, playing with a sense of fun and authority is way more important than skill (in a pub jam at least).  Late 40's is nothing - go enjoy!
  • My sons are learning keys, drums and guitars at a local music school. The school started an initiative called ‘Play it again’ aimed at the students parents who wanted to get together to jam, but who hadn’t played in anger for years. If one week the dad that plays drums couldn’t make it, one of the drum teachers would step in. Same with bass, vocals, keys. Ended up doing some local pub gigs. Can’t wait to get back into it. Might be worth checking out local music schools to see if they have similar.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    All advice for post lock down.

Look out for open mic nights.

Get yourself to a fretboard jam. Get a plane hotel do it, maybe a hudedersfield two nighter if they do one.

Go to local gigs.

Take a couple of lessons. 

Speak to people at work, there might be a closet drummer for a power duo. There might be a closet singer. 

Speak to wider family. I found out my brother in law reinvented himself as a singer and did open mic nights won a song writing competition and formed a folk group.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    phil_b said:
    As a relative beginner the advice that seems to keep cropping up is playing with others really helps you improve.

Now I'm thinking post lock down restrictions on this.

But as a gentleman in my late 40s what is a good route to get to play with others. I am really a terrible player so where can I find people to play with that will be willing to tolerate my short comings 
    That’s a pretty common age group for people in bands. All the usual routes of Join My Band, Facebook groups,etc. 

All I’d say is a) be professional, being a good band member ( being on time, learning songs, booking the rehearsal rooms,etc) often more useful than being a good guitarist b) be flexible. Guitarists tend to want to play what they want to play whereas there will be bands/ jamming groups for less guitar centric music c) always have a go at doing BVs. Even if your voice is like a foghorn the willingness to shout along and help fill out the sound is almost always appreciated. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited March 2021
    I has a scroll through the join my band website And it looks like I should have taken up bass
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    If you want to be in a band, then it's better to be a bass player, a drummer or a half decent singer. There are far too many guitarists out there! 

I'd agree with all the advice so far. I stopped playing for a long time when I was climbing the greasy corporate pole. I restarted aged 50, with a group of people my wife worked with, playing casually in the recreation/TV room at their office after office hours were over. 

In my area, there's a MeetUp group of people who go to the local rehearsal studio every second Sunday and have a bash with each other. Something like that (or even start one yourself) might work. Abilities vary but everyone knows supporting the others is part of the deal and acts accordingly. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    phil_b said:
    I has a scroll through the join my band website And it looks like I should have taken up bass
    If the aim is to get in a band almost any instrument other than guitar! 
     But that’s why often you have to offer a bit more. I’ve often gone back to the Jimmie Vaughan quote ( as best as I recall it) if you play guitar and want to join a band learn to sing or buy a van. 
    You just have to keep looking. I would say also place your own ad on these sites. I have done so in the past and always had loads of responses as many people like to browse but not advertise. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.