Social anxiety caused by lockdown?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
This afternoon I saw an artist I like posting about their re arranged tour which they've pushed back to Jan-Feb 2022. And they are playing at a local pub to me (Hare & Hounds in Birmingham) which is quite a coup I suppose for the pub, the artist is a solo singer songwriter but is also a member of a better known group who've had Grammy nominations. I thought "boom, yes, go for that". 

Asked the Mrs if she wanted to come with me, out of courtesy, she didn't mind etc so I thought no worries I'll go by myself, considering it's a stand up venue at the back of a pub and she is small and doesn't like it.

I Google image searched it to remind myself what it looked like and there are some images of the place full... And I've suddenly gone cold on the idea. It's not even because of Covid concerns as I'm sure it won't be allowed to be on if it's not safe etc, it's literally the idea of being stuck in that space with that many people, it's actually made me feel quite anxious even thinking about it.

That wouldn't have been the case before the lockdowns (though I did decide not to go to a gig in Digbeth a couple of years back because I felt I'd get mugged, I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption though!). Anybody else feeling like this?

I want to support the artist and the venue but I just don't think I can face putting myself in that situation even that far into the future. I know I'm being silly, but I need to learn to observe these kinds of reactions and see what they are all about.

Weird
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Of course some people have barely changed their behaviour but I think for a lot of us it will take a little time to readjust, but I'm sure that most of us will in a relatively short space of time.  My parents, both in their 80's, had been locked doen for most of 2020.  They had their second jab in mid Jan (they were very luck to get 2nd dose after only 3 weeks) and it took them a little while to get their confidence back.  They're still cautious but they have adopted the view that they've only got a finite mount of time left so, within the rules, they're going to reclaim as much of their lives as possible.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Musicwolf said:
    Of course some people have barely changed their behaviour but I think for a lot of us it will take a little time to readjust, but I'm sure that most of us will in a relatively short space of time.  My parents, both in their 80's, had been locked doen for most of 2020.  They had their second jab in mid Jan (they were very luck to get 2nd dose after only 3 weeks) and it took them a little while to get their confidence back.  They're still cautious but they have adopted the view that they've only got a finite mount of time left so, within the rules, they're going to reclaim as much of their lives as possible.
    Yeah I get what you mean, I'm 33 though so hopefully I've a at least a couple of decades left to get sorted...

I'm a fairly solitary person but can be sociable normally, perhaps that's the case no longer! Ch Ch Ch Changes etc etc
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I never liked being in a crowd or a crowded room/venue anyway, it makes me panicky especially if everyone around me is going in different directions - like in a pub, or a Tube carriage.

So, nothing to do with lockdown really, but going back to these situations will certainly make me uncomfortable.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I have things booked. Going straight from as I am now to a pub or venue full of people I think would freak me out a bit. But between now and the Hare and Hounds in Jan 2021 there are a 100 different steps you’ll be taking - pub meals, going shopping, back to the office,etc, so by that time it’ll be a natural step. 

Digbeth - I have gigged in Digbeth, a heady mixture of students and people who like they are going to steal your hubcaps so I think your apprehension there was understandable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm not kidding when I say every time I leave the house, I really fear that I will shit myself.

Lockdown is anti-bowels.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not kidding when I say every time I leave the house, I really fear that I will shit myself.

Lockdown is anti-bowels.
    Yes it's going to be a lottery once life resumes without a toilet in the next room!
  • I'm not kidding when I say every time I leave the house, I really fear that I will shit myself.

Lockdown is anti-bowels.
    Yes it's going to be a lottery once life resumes without a toilet in the next room!
    Like, in Japan... you're on the train.... need a shit? Oh noes.

Get off at the next station. Near enough all stations have public toilets. They're nearly always clean and close to the platform.

Do a big shit.

Get the next train in 5minutes time.

London??? Shit yourself in front of a carriage full of lawyers!!

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Yes, massively so. I have gone back into the office for a couple of mornings this week just to try and break myself in gently. It was a real struggle leaving the house this morning but ince I got in there it was great actually talking to other adults 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    It’s taken a long time to get used to the current situation, it’s not unreasonable to think it’ll take a similar time to adjust back to normal times. I think the first issue will be feeling weird without a mask. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    An extended relaxing of lockdown restrictions should ease people’s fears and slowly allow us to get used to mixing again. 

My view is if we’re vaccinated and it’s proven that it’s working in reducing hospital admissions and serious illness, then hopefully we should be able to get back to normal quickly. Peoples reservations may slow that down of course. 

Lots of people are still cramming into tubes, into supermarkets, going to protests, meeting friends. I have a feeling in certain areas things will move much quicker than others. 
    boogieman said:
    It’s taken a long time to get used to the current situation, it’s not unreasonable to think it’ll take a similar time to adjust back to normal times. I think the first issue will be feeling weird without a mask. 
    I see what you mean, though I don't really wear a mask for more than a few minutes very often as I have nowhere to go that requires one. Click and collect groceries, work at home, no site visits allowed etc.

I've no issue about mixing with people again once it's allowed but it's the gig scenario that seems too much to handle, and as I say it's not because of a Covid risk as much as literally just having to be have people so closely around me.

Maybe I need to setup a "live stream from real gigs" service for those of us too much of a wimp to want to go haha
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    You do have my sympathies. My son suffers with social anxiety, he’s never been great in crowds, in fact he really likes how things are currently with people being forced to stay home with no interaction.  :) I have managed to get him along to gigs with me, but it takes a big effort on his half to psych himself up and not to panic or at least feel uncomfortable. He’s better when the act is playing, at least everyone is concentrating away from him (as he sees it), the room is usually dark and he can lose himself in the music (assuming it’s something he likes rather than “some weird shit that you’ve dragged me along to dad”) 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    It’s understandable if you’ve been obeying the rules. 

It’s also not appealing if like me you think this virus has a few tricks up it’s sleeve left to surprise us with and are also in a more vulnerable group as I am. 

I might go back to being normal socially when I have my second jab. I don’t know yet. 

My wife is more naturally gregarious than I am and has been quite down at times with not seeing people. 
    She says I’m lucky in that I don’t need friends in quite the same way she does but I’m keen that we can resume a decent social life for her and our together benefit. 
    I had my second jab yesterday. Had a bit of a shit night and feel rough today. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I’m with you on this... 

a regular venue for us is already pencilling in dates for gigs...

pre covid we would get 250-300 bodies in front of us... every time we gigged there a few days later at least one of us would come down with a cold... that many folk packed in tightly, hot and sweaty was a breeding ground for germs...

I guess now they may limit the number of people but it’s still filling me with trepidation about gigging there... even if they limit it to a third of normal it’s still 100 folk all breathing at you :) 

can honestly say I don’t want to do it!... even the thought of being in a studio rehearsing with the rest of the band is bum clenching at the moment.
    Hopefully the second jab effects pass soon Telemaster.

It's not sympathy i need haha it's just something I've noticed that has changed, I just have to accept it was the new normal i think. It is a shame that it means I can't support the artist or the venue more than being any real problem for me personally, but I'm sure that both will do just fine without my £20 :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I watched a bit of a pre-Covid HIGNFY last night an my first thought was "They're sitting close together - is it safe?".
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Can't be worse than punk gigs where people were gobbing all over each other. Now, THAT was disgusting.
    edited March 2021
    Sassafras said:
    Can't be worse than punk gigs where people were gobbing all over each other. Now, THAT was disgusting.
    Or that Dillenger Escape Plan show at Reading 2002 or something I was at where the singer took a shit in a towel and threw it into the crowd. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    Philly_Q said:

Iit makes me panicky especially if everyone around me is going in different directions - like in a pub, or a Tube carriage.

To be fair, if you're on a tube train and everyone is going in different directions, you're already in trouble. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom