SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Withdrawn Waterloo WL-K

What's Hot
GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
edited August 2022 in Acoustics £
Waterloo WL-K.

Based on the iconic Kel Kroydon, it has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides and East Indian fretboard.
12 frets to the body this is a 2017 model, X braced, T-bar neck and what Collings describe as a moderately sized, oval shaped neck profile. Feels good in the hand without being too skinny or overly chunky. 
Full specs can be found on the Collings/Waterloo website.
1 3/4"   Nut
24 7/8" Scale Length
2 3/8"   Saddle spacing
14 3/4" Body width
19 1/4" Body length
4 1/4"   Body depth

There's plenty out there on the web about this model for anyone who may be interested.
It's as light as a feather (just under 3 pounds) and plays superbly. 
The action at the 12th fret measures 2mm on the Low E and 1.5mm on the high E.
Comes with the original hardcase.

Condition wise is really good overall but it's not mint. As you can see from the pictures there is a scratch on the back and a small nick on top of the headstock (both where there when I got it).

It's just had a fret dress and recrown and some work done on the nut last week. Fret wear was minimal on the first 3 but I wanted it properly sorted if I'm trading.

Withdrawn 

It really is a fantastic little guitar, I've done a fair bit of 'umming and ahing' over whether or not to keep it but ultimately my Waterloo WL14 with the extra 2 frets makes it a bit more versatile for me. If I were to compare the two, although similar this is louder with a 'drier, woodier' sound. 

Will consider trading up or down for the right guitar - ideally something with a bit of 'vintage' to it but I'm open to suggestions.
 Not really after anything bigger than 24.9" scale so no OM's and I'm not after a 12 string or an electric either. 

*Update*
Shipping now an option.
I now have a suitable box. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing guitar, regretted selling this the moment you drove off! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't do it, man!!!! You know you're going to regret it. Just keep it open G or something. Is that monels or nickel steels she's wearing? I've always used 80/20s (for the colour match, if I'm totally honest =), but they sound pretty sweet)
    Don't do it, man!!!! You know you're going to regret it. Just keep it open G or something. Is that monels or nickel steels she's wearing? I've always used 80/20s (for the colour match, if I'm totally honest =), but they sound pretty sweet)
    It’s monels, if it stays I’ll try the 80/20’s. 
    So many guitars such little time! 
    Hope you’re well mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    laverdasf750 said:
    Amazing guitar, regretted selling this the moment you drove off! 
    You could always buy it again...no way I’m driving down to London again though that was madness!
  • Sorry if this brings back painful memories but how would you say the Waterloo compares to the L36?
    edited June 2022
    Tbh I really didn’t have the L36 long enough and it was such an awful crazy time in my life that I’d struggle to give an honest assessment. I can say that they are different animals though. The wlk is unique and has its own thing going on.
    My Waterloo wl14 is more similar to the L36.
    Would I swop my wl14 for another L36?
    Not a chance.
    Played a couple of Atkins since though and I’ve found them uninspiring. 
    TrevinInDevon, who posted above is probably better qualified to answer your question. He bought my L36 and he’s also got a Wlk so maybe he’ll chime in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gandalph said:
    Tbh I really didn’t have the L36 long enough and it was such an awful crazy time in my life that I’d struggle to give an honest assessment. I can say that they are different animals though. The wlk is unique and has its own thing going on.
    My Waterloo wl14 is more similar to the L36.
    Would I swop my wl14 for another L36?
    Not a chance.
    Played a couple of Atkins since though and I’ve found them uninspiring. As an aside over about a six month period I sent several emails to Atkin and even left a couple of answer machine messages. All with reasonable queries I thought...and not a single response. Not one. 
    I know Alistair gets praise on here from some but that’s pretty piss poor customer service. Not just me I’ve heard the same from others too. 
    Send Collings a message and guaranteed you’ll get a reply within 24 hours. 
    TrevinInDevon, who posted above is probably better qualified to answer your question. He bought my L36 and he’s also got a Wlk so maybe he’ll chime in. 

Well, that's buggered my chances of selling the 36 on here, hasn't it?  :)

I keep meaning to do a proper comparison of the 36 and the WL14 for my own interest using identical strings and tunings but I haven't got round to it yet. The WL14 definitely has more volume and sustain (as does the WL-K, for that matter). I also prefer the wider nut on the Waterloos, which prejudices me a bit. If I do move one on it will be the Atkin, but I have an embarrassment of riches, really. It's still a fine instrument.
    I think you’d easily sell it on here should you ever decide to move it on. After all it’s a British builder and I’m sure plenty of others prefer a
    1 11/16” nut. 
    We’re all different after all, one persons meat is another’s poison and all that. 
    Would be interested to read about your findings if you ever did do a direct comparison between the wl14 and L36.
    Would make for an interesting new thread :) 
  • Gandalph said:
    I think you’d easily sell it on here should you ever decide to move it on. After all it’s a British builder and I’m sure plenty of others prefer a
    1 11/16” nut. 
    We’re all different after all, one persons meat is another’s poison and all that. 
    Would be interested to read about your findings if you ever did do a direct comparison between the wl14 and L36.
    Would make for an interesting new thread :) 

Yeah, I know. Don't worry, I wasn't being entirely serious ;). How does your KG-11 compare with the two WLs? Are you going for another vintage to replace the WL-K?
    edited March 2021
    It's ladder braced as oppose to the other two that are X braced so there is a difference, probably closer to the WL-K in terms of sound and volume. There's just something about playing a guitar that's 85 yers old! 
    I'm not sure yet, would love another vintage - had a few interesting suggestions so far but nothing that I really fancy trading the WL-K for.
  • Thanks Trev and Gandalph for the thoughts and observations. Really kind of you both and plenty to ponder. 
    Bump -  post edited ahead of restrictions easing on Monday for meet up/collection.

*Shipping is also now also a possibility.

Thank you for some interesting trade options so far but nothing really that I'm after. Still a possibility though
    Easter bump.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Post edited and price drop bump.
    Withdrawn