SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Yamaha SA2000/2200

What's Hot
Putting the feelers out there for one of these..

PM me if you're potentially looking to move on on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    If you are looking for a Yamaha, don’t discount the Eastman range,, I preferred mine to the SA2200 on every level 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    Thanks chaps..
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    If you can get a 1980s SA2000 .......they are superior to the SA2200
    edited March 2021
    Dominic said:
    Sadly @Dominic ;I sold one and now regret it...

In what way do you consider the 1980's model to be superior?
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Have you thought about an Ibanez AS2000 or a John Scofield?
    edited March 2021
    tomajoha said:
    Thanks for the post.

I've no experience with the Ibanez models in honesty. I've started to explore the AS range a bit. Seems like the AS2000 is new and somewhat more pricey than the SA, the AS200 seems of interest but the only used one I can see for pricing data seems very expensive (not unusual at the mo for anything but this one is a 1980's with all the usual marketing bullshit). I will do some more digging..
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Dominic said:
    Sadly @Dominic ;I sold one and now regret it...

In what way do you consider the 1980's model to be superior?
    I did the same ......sold 2 of them....got an sa 2200.....it didn't have the same playability feel , less resonant , neck was a bit too thin and flat,didn't like the volute shape....it wasn't as gritty sounding when overdriven and just felt a bit dead compared !
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 165
    I have a load of Yamahas, they are always a great guitar. I do like the older models, but I think the other way; the frets are much more useable on the 2200 as they have a higher profile, on the 2000 they are low and flat, although still wide for some reason, and your fingers are always rubbing the fingerboard. Also the Alnico V pickups on the 2200 are way better than the old1980s models to me, in the they sound more like a classic old Gibson, and less fizzy. I do agree that the wood was superb on the older models, and I have also had a couple of 2000s with the carved solid spruce top, and they were nice guitars, but those pickups didn't sound right through an amp to me. My bottom line is I now have two 2200s and consider them perfect, as in Collings perfect. I also have two i35s and they are all equal in my ears, stay in tune, play a gig all night long and sound great (when that is available to us), and have character. Lots of people say that they don't, I'm a big fan, as you can tell. SA2200s are a bargain at new retail price, let alone second hand. Guitarist did a review a couple of months ago. But I'm not knocking the 2000, I did plenty work on mine. Try both, you can always sell them on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    tomajoha said:
    Thanks for the post.

I've no experience with the Ibanez models in honesty. I've started to explore the AS range a bit. Seems like the AS2000 is new and somewhat more pricey than the SA, the AS200 seems of interest but the only used one I can see for pricing data seems very expensive (not unusual at the mo for anything but this one is a 1980's with all the usual marketing bullshit). I will do some more digging..
    My only experience was of a japanese built John Schofield - it was exceptionally well made and a much more playable guitar than my ES's - check them out if you can get hold of a secondhand one
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    Haven't had the older SA2000 but my 2200 kicked two '59 Historics out of the house ... The Alnico V's sound fine and personally think the neck and playability is only bettered by my old '77 Spinex'd SG.
    Only mods I did were big Jescar SS frets and a better nut.
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    sweepy said:
    If you are looking for a Yamaha, don’t discount the Eastman range,, I preferred mine to the SA2200 on every level 
    I wanted to dig my eastman, but the nut's just a bit wider than most 335s (44.45mm vs the yammy's 43mm). Deal breaker for me.
  • SputnikSputnik Frets: 51
    I have a violin-burst SA2200 from July 2003 and I am far more likely to part with my first born, my nylon-loving cat or some major organs before I part company with that particular guitar.  For me, it is the one electric guitar that feels like home when I pick it up - and you can't put a price on that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Looked at that at lunch at work, not surprised its gone 
  • sweepy said:
    I wanted to dig my eastman, but the nut's just a bit wider than most 335s (44.45mm vs the yammy's 43mm). Deal breaker for me.
    Yeah the Eastman I had was a good guitar - just not for me in the end. 
    The Yamaha is for me the best electric guitar I've ever owned. It suits how I play, and the sounds I can get from it are really great. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    edited March 2021
    I agree - mine isn't going anywhere. It is one of the most beautifully made electric guitars I have ever owned.

A lot of people say a lot of things about guitars that have no real factual basis. This one is absolute perfection. 

In fact the bridge is positioned so perfectly that I was able to replace the broad Nashville bridge with a very narrow Gotoh ABR1 type bridge - and keep all saddles with the vertical surface facing the pickup side (the sloped surface facing the tailpiece) and still get the instrument perfectly intonated.

https://i.imgur.com/Dz1k75A.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Genuinely think you shouldn't discount buying new one for like 300ish more you will be able to. Plus you will be able to return it if you do not like it. 
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    edited March 2021
    I have a smaller bodied SAS ... I guess it’s a 339 type of thing (before Gibson got the idea) if you’re interested? 
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 165
    If you do buy a new one you will not return it. You will love it, like a new Mercedes.