U2 Gigs on YouTube starting tonight

What's Hot
russpmrusspm Frets: 436
This is one for U2 fans.

The following are streaming on the U2 YouTube channel starting tonight at 7.30pm GMT.

The Slane Castle gig is epic.

TONIGHT, 17 March

U2 Go Home: Live From Slane Castle

IRELAND 2001

Thursday 25 March

U2: Live At Red Rocks, Denver, Colorado

USA 1983

Thursday 1 April

Popmart: Live From Mexico City

MEXICO 1997

Saturday 10 April

iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE: Live in Paris

FRANCE 2015

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    edited March 2021
    Slane Castle is a great show. Last stop of the tour, in front a jubilant home town crowd who have just witnessed the Irish football team progress in the World Cupn the screens before the show.

An emotional one for Bono too as his dad had just passed away a couple of weeks before. A magical night for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    Slane Castle is a great show. Last stop of the tour, in front a jubilant home town crowd who have just witnessed the Irish football team progress in the World Cupn the screens before the show.

An emotional one for Bono too as his dad had just passed away a couple of weeks before. A magical night for sure.
    Amazing gig and it wasn’t on the original tour itinerary. It got added after the first Slane show sold out so quickly. I was at the first Slane show  and it was just after Bono’s dad’s funeral so was more of a somber mood I guess. Still a great gig but not on a par with this one for sure.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Thanks, really enjoyed the Slane Castle one (saw that last night). 

Had the VHS of Red Rocks, haven’t seen it in years!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Elevation: Live from Boston from 2001 is my favourite. All That You Can't Leave Behind is the last really good U2 album and the live versions from this show are better than the record. The opening Elevation with The Edge on his SG is one the best tones. Other highlights are Stuck In A Moment and Walk On and the version of Bullet The Blue Sky with Edge soloing like Hendrix and the opening Charlton Heston quote is brilliant.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Those Elevation tour shows basically taught me to play guitar - they were the absolute spark that showed me it doesn't all have to be chords and pentatonics. 

I think Slane edges it (no pun intended) overall, but the versions of The Fly and Stay (Faraway, so close) on Boston makes that essential as well. 

That Mexico Popmart show is excellent though. Towards the end of the run after they'd really got inside the songs and it's well worth a watch if anyone hasn't already.  

If I had a time machine I'd spend years going to old U2 shows before I thought about anything else... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The Boston show wins it for me over Slane- only just. The whole tour was performed at arenas and indoor venues so everything was based around that. The fact that they successfully adapted it for the outdoor gigs at Slane Castle and performed epic shows is just amazing. Elevation with the house lights on is a brilliant show opener, just brilliant. As @RandallFlagg says, the Edge’s guitar tone on that is just the business. And I agree with @stickyfiddle , Stay and the Fly are just mind blowing. 

I went to about 12 of the Elevation tour shows including the opening nights in Fort Lauderdale. I got in the Heart section a few times and the shows from there were just insanely good. One of my favourite tours of all time that.

• I love the Boston show too but the emotion and mood of the band at Slane just edges it for me. 

I’m not keen on the live version of New York on the Boston show either, something is lost in the chorus.

• russpm said:

Amazing gig and it wasn’t on the original tour itinerary. It got added after the first Slane show sold out so quickly. I was at the first Slane show  and it was just after Bono’s dad’s funeral so was more of a somber mood I guess. Still a great gig but not on a par with this one for sure.
    Wow! Very jealous! Wasn’t aware of the other Slane show either.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Boston wins for me, I prefer the flow of the set - especially the second half. That said, the slane version of "One" is brilliant.

I love the Boston show too but the emotion and mood of the band at Slane just edges it for me. 

I’m not keen on the live version of New York on the Boston show either, something is lost in the chorus.

They changed the chords round - in the album version, the whole song is a-g-c-g until the final chorus, where it switches to c-g-a-g. In the live version they do it like the final chorus 3 times which kinda misses the point - it subverts that payoff. Honestly I don't think it's a great song, but I do like the guitar sound in the live version - recently built a clone of the Sobbat DB-1 inspired by it.

russpm said:

Wow! Very jealous! Wasn’t aware of the other Slane show either.
    Yes and they played Bad instead of All I Want Is You on the first Slane show. Pity they played Staring at the sun instead of Stay though.
  • Cirrus said:
    Boston wins for me, I prefer the flow of the set - especially the second half. That said, the slane version of "One" is brilliant.

I love the Boston show too but the emotion and mood of the band at Slane just edges it for me. 

They changed the chords round - in the album version, the whole song is a-g-c-g until the final chorus, where it switches to c-g-a-g. In the live version they do it like the final chorus 3 times which kinda misses the point - it subverts that payoff. Honestly I don't think it's a great song, but I do like the guitar sound in the live version - recently built a clone of the Sobbat DB-1 inspired by it.

Ah - that'll be it. I wonder what prompted that change, it just sounds a bit awkward to me. Yes this is peak Edge tone IMO. Since he moved to Axe Fx something is missing.
    Cirrus said:

Ah - that'll be it. I wonder what prompted that change, it just sounds a bit awkward to me. Yes this is peak Edge tone IMO. Since he moved to Axe Fx something is missing.
    He isn't on AxeFX - still a shitload of stompboxes and hot valves under the stage...

Cirrus said:

His tone does seem more polite on the latest tour, not sure why as he is still using the amps as well as AxeFX.

I have only seen U2 once, on the 2005 Vertigo tour at Manchester. I felt really disconnected form the whole thing, the band were like ants in the distance and as it was summer the screens and lights were not at all effective with the sun shining across the stadium. The sounds was quite quiet as well.

A bit like this. That's not fun for me:

I did meet Edge briefly though at the hotel as were staying in the same hotel, the Lowry. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I have only seen U2 once, on the 2005 Vertigo tour at Manchester.

I saw them there too, and I agree, it wasn't good. There was no atmosphere at all.

The venue staff also screwed up in letting people into the inner bit near the stage - they should have given passes to get into that area to the first X-thousand people through the doors, but they didn't and as it approached showtime, that inner bit was very sparsely populated, with massive crowds and pressure built up outside that. So... they just opened the gates. I seem to remember reading that one person's arm was broken in the stampede.

I was really trying to have a good time, but the choice was either get crushed to bits (and still not be close enough to see anything) or move back a bit and just be surrounded by people who paid £60 to stand with a shit warm beer talking over the music - and you're right, it was easy to just talk over because it wasn't that loud.

When I saw them at the indoor arena in Manchester, 2001, that was much better. And in 2009 in Sheffield, that was outdoors in a stadium but somehow had more atmosphere than the 2005 Manchester show. I think it might just have been a shit night.
    Cirrus said:
    I have only seen U2 once, on the 2005 Vertigo tour at Manchester.

I saw them there too, and I agree, it wasn't good. There was no atmosphere at all.

The venue staff also screwed up in letting people into the inner bit near the stage - they should have given passes to get into that area to the first X-thousand people through the doors, but they didn't and as it approached showtime, that inner bit was very sparsely populated, with massive crowds and pressure built up outside that. So... they just opened the gates. I seem to remember reading that one person's arm was broken in the stampede.

I was really trying to have a good time, but the choice was either get crushed to bits (and still not be close enough to see anything) or move back a bit and just be surrounded by people who paid £60 to stand with a shit warm beer talking over the music - and you're right, it was easy to just talk over because it wasn't that loud.

When I saw them at the indoor arena in Manchester, 2001, that was much better. And in 2009 in Sheffield, that was outdoors in a stadium but somehow had more atmosphere than the 2005 Manchester show. I think it might just have been a shit night.
    There were two Manchester shows on the Vertigo tour. On the first night Some of the stewards were openly selling the wristbands into the inner heart on the first night and it really kicked off as I remember. I was there early for both gigs and got into the inner heart and both gigs were great up close. I had some mates who were way back and they also said they felt very disconnected. That is the problem with stadium shows. Ive been to other shows at the City of Manchester Stadium and have felt disconnected to what’s going on when seated to standing way back.

The two Manchester arena shows on the Elevation show were very special indeed.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I saw them at Elland Road in 87. On the very front pressed against the barrier. 

That was a decent enough atmosphere...  <3
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    I saw Vertigo in Cardiff (I assume only a couple of days before or after) and that was ace, so definitely sounds like a venue issue. 

I was at the last show of the Joshua Tree show in Mumbai just before the world shut down and it was mind-blowing. I was honestly in bits during Streets - just an absolute dream to hear that intro with that energy and the full red screen etc etc. That crowd was mixed, but the show was spectacular from start to finish. 

And having seen half the crew wandering around the hotel (man-nod with chief of sound Joe O'Herlihy in the lift), we were at the table next to Adam Clayton for breakfast in the morning. Didn't chat as he was with his family, but seemed a lovely chap. 
    Hattigol said:
    I saw them at Elland Road in 87. On the very front pressed against the barrier. 

That was a decent enough atmosphere...  <3
    I was at Wembley Stadium in 87 but way back unfortunately. It was my first ever U2 gig and Ive been lucky to see them a total of 60 times all in over the years. It’s my main hobby  :).

Met the band a bunch of times and they are extremely generous and humble blokes.
    It’s U2 live from Red Rocks tomorrow!!