U2 Gigs on YouTube starting tonight

What's Hot

Comments

• Just finished up Under a Blood Red Sky/live at Red Rocks. Really enjoyed it, packed full of energy and Edge was on fire. Some great sounds he had too. Just brill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229

Also watching Red Rocks right now. The album of this concert was the one that inspired me to pick up the guitar thirty five years ago. The Edge was my first guitar hero, and he sounds huge at this concert. Minimal effects, but his tone is to die for.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Probably THE band of all time for me. Born in ‘70, it was Queen, U2, Simple Minds and Adam & The Ants. Guitarists in each of these bands were my initial influences. Still love’em all but U2 will always be close to my heart. I will follow :)
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    Popmart live from Mexico City is on tonight
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Seems it’s not on until 3am?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Anyone watched the Boston one? Fabulous. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited April 2021
    Hattigol said:
    Anyone watched the Boston one? Fabulous. 
    It’s the best live U2 DVD there is for me. The Edge’s tone on Elevation is just the dogs nuts 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    pmg said:
    It will be available to stream for 48 hours or so
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Not seen the Boston one so looking forward to that. 

Really enjoyed seeing Red Rocks again after all these years. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    russpm said:
    pmg said:
    It will be available to stream for 48 hours or so
    Ah right.  I watch the elevation one as that was on at about 8.30pm but not the red rocks one.  Will watch tomorrow then
  • Looking forward to it. This is the tour that nearly broke the band, I’m pretty sure it came close to bankrupting them as tickets sales weren’t as good as expected. 

It was also full of problems from the Lemon that wouldn’t open to Bono’s voice going. This was also their 3rd major stadium tour in a row and the band were a bit burnt out.

Still love the Pop album but not sure it works to well live.
    Looking forward to it. This is the tour that nearly broke the band, I’m pretty sure it came close to bankrupting them as tickets sales weren’t as good as expected. 

It was also full of problems from the Lemon that wouldn’t open to Bono’s voice going. This was also their 3rd major stadium tour in a row and the band were a bit burnt out.

Yes it was challenging. At a lot of the gigs they were just breaking even. They had a huge staffing cost on this tour. Bono had problems with dry environments on his throat so not great to start the tour in Las Vegas where they rehearsed before hand also.

It was a tour that started shakey but ended up being epic and the live DVD is Bono’s favourite U2 live DVD.

This tour didn’t come close to breaking the band. The closest they came was recording Achtung Baby and on the ZooTv  tour when Adam missed the Sydney gig due to girlfriend issues (Naomi) and over-indulgences.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I really like that pop show, it's pretty intense/ heavy overall for a U2 show and there's a lot of depth in those songs. Probably the last great era for the band, for me, where they felt like they were making art and exploring ideas rather than kowtowing to the fans. And close enough to all their great work - only 10 years after the Joshua Tree - that they're not going through the motions on any of it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    The Pop film is great imo. The album hasn't aged brilliantly but the songs that got played night after night eventually became really great versions of themselves - Mofo, Gone, Last Night on Earth and If You Wear That Velvet Dress and especially Please.

Discoteque is arguably the only one that's better on record 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • russpm said:
    Looking forward to it. This is the tour that nearly broke the band, I’m pretty sure it came close to bankrupting them as tickets sales weren’t as good as expected. 

It was a tour that started shakey but ended up being epic and the live DVD is Bono’s favourite U2 live DVD.

This tour didn’t come close to breaking the band. The closest they came was recording Achtung Baby and on the ZooTv  tour when Adam missed the Sydney gig due to girlfriend issues (Naomi) and over-indulgences.
    Ah, I meant breaking financially. I’ve read that 360 wasn’t a huge earner either. Did know that about it being Bono’s favourite. 
    russpm said:

Ah, I meant breaking financially. I’ve read that 360 wasn’t a huge earner either. Did know that about it being Bono’s favourite. 
    The 360 tour was the highest grossing tour of all time, until being overtaken by Ed Sheeran more recently. The running costs were huge due to the number of workers needed for the huge stage setup (the claw). They initially lost money due to the initial investment but went on to make a healthy profit on that tour. Pop was break even unit the back end of the tour when they made some money back.
  • russpm said:
    russpm said:

The 360 tour was the highest grossing tour of all time, until being overtaken by Ed Sheeran more recently. The running costs were huge due to the number of workers needed for the huge stage setup (the claw). They initially lost money due to the initial investment but went on to make a healthy profit on that tour. Pop was break even unit the back end of the tour when they made some money back.
    Got it, it must have cost a fortune to keep on the road however, I think they had 2 or 3 separate claws didn't they? I know it is the largest object ever toured. I'll have to dig out my copy of From the Ground Up.

Really enjoyed Popmart though, I think I had only dipped in and out of it previously but watching it uninteruppted from start to finish made a world of difference. Another strong performance even with Bonos weaker voice. Once again some great tones from Edge. He seemed a little more forward in the mix compared to other concert films by them. I wasn't complaining though. Loved his solo version of Bloody Sunday.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    edited April 2021
    Oh, and I didn't realised Bono had a job at Gibson testing their headstock joints!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    russpm said:
    russpm said:

Got it, it must have cost a fortune to keep on the road however, I think they had 2 or 3 separate claws didn't they? I know it is the largest object ever toured. I'll have to dig out my copy of From the Ground Up.

Really enjoyed Popmart though, I think I had only dipped in and out of it previously but watching it uninteruppted from start to finish made a world of difference. Another strong performance even with Bonos weaker voice. Once again some great tones from Edge. He seemed a little more forward in the mix compared to other concert films by them. I wasn't complaining though. Loved his solo version of Bloody Sunday.
    Yes they had two claws! Some upfront investment there! I think they sold one of the claws on the last few of years.

Yes the Popmart show was great and like you say even with Bono’s weaker voice. 

I got on the rail at the B stage for a couple of the shows and that was very special.

id love to see a anniversary/ reboot of the Zoo TV tour. That would be just epic.

I though the 2019 JT tour was even better than the 2017 your.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Can confirm the 2019 JT was exceptional. I have a feeling they’d consider a ZooTV.com tour next year if the world is allowing that sort of thing by then. 

I’ve often said if I had a time machine I’d spend my first month just going back and watching U2 gigs and I’d start with ZooTV
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires