Recommendations for career change advisor, or is it a life coach I need?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
Hi all,

I've reached breaking point with my work, which I don't like and am not suited to, and need to find a change. I'm currently applying for more junior roles within the same industry in order to just get myself out and have a bit more headspace to decide what to do instead, but struggling a bit with feeling overwhelmed with too many options and not knowing where to look. I've never known what I want to do and have generally just floated down the river a bit, but now I'm 11 years into my current industry in also scared I've left it too late.

I wondered if anybody had any recommendations for a careers advisor to help me identify what I would be better doing, and what would suit me, and then move towards what I need to do in order to get a start in that direction? Or is it a life coach I need? God knows, I'm all ears.

I did the Gallup Clifton personality thing but didn't really understand it, it told me a few things I already knew, and a few other things which were completely inaccurate (for example apparently I'm obsessed with historic events and wars, which is certainly news to me!).

If anybody knows of anybody who could be worth booking a few sessions with to help with this, please could you give me a shout?

Thank you x

Edit: thought it worth reiterating that I'm looking for recommendations of who to speak to, rather than advice itself from folks here, as think that will be best for all. Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    Is it worth saying what you like and what you are good at?

So good they can't ignore you is a great book.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited March 2021
    Is it worth saying what you like and what you are good at?
    Not really, it's more who to speak to that I'm looking for. Sorry, just editted the original post to reiterate it's an advisor I'm looking for, rather than advice.

Cheers for replying though, appreciate it

Edit: sorry, I realised the above seemed ungrateful - I'm just trying to spare folks a painful experience of discussing the situation with me (I'm a bit difficult) and hopefully find somebody who I can pay to help me sort myself out
  • Based on threads in the past, I'd say get some CBT. I did it, and it truly helped me stop feeling hopeless and suicidal.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Based on threads in the past, I'd say get some CBT. I did it, and it truly helped me stop feeling hopeless and suicidal.
    Yeah I'm on that already, but the work situation cannot wait unfortunately
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Was it the Clifton ‘Strengths Finder’ assessment you did or something else? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited March 2021
    No help at all but good to see you back on here.
    Thanks chaps
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    A mate of mine went to med school at 30, he's now 43 and really happy as a doc.  My plumber was a digital media editor with the BBC till he was 35.  You are only going to want to do what you want i reckon rather than what someone thinks suits you.  What about just speaking to a member of a trade/profession in all areas you think youre interested in.
  • To be a little more sympathetic, colourbox, I know what sort of situation you're in because I was there not too long ago. I was lucky in that I got transferred when our IP and tech was sold to another company. 

My wife is in a similar situation now, wondering what to do work-wise.

All I can say is, you need to take a full account of your skills and assets, and holes in your knowledge, and try to fix the later and capitalise on the former.

Bye!

edited March 2021
    Thanks chaps. I've a chat booked with a very kind member of this community who is a coach on Monday which I'm looking forward to.

Skills and knowing what I want are the problem, I have very few skills and have never known what I would want to do. So I get what you mean about not doing what people tell you that you should, but I do need some guidance as to where to even start looking. Likewise with speaking to people in other jobs or industries - I don't know where to start. I don't expect to find anything interesting but I'm hoping that I can find something achievable that isn't going to knock my confidence unnecessarily.

Skills wise I have to basically start from zero I think, but I'm trying to plan ahead as to how I can improve them and establish some better work and life habits generally. I've been applying for some junior roles to give me the headspace to reboot a bit.

Fingers crossed, thanks for the input fellas
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom