SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

(Both sold) Gretsch 6196T-59 Country Club VS, Cadillac Green, Gibson ES-125T

What's Hot

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    @DB1 ; I really don't know why I open your FS threads....all that happens is another emotional collapse as I see another guitar I want but can't afford!! I don't think you've ever sold a guitar I didn't want. That looks lovely!

@edenfield99 ; - If it's any help, I'm usually selling them because I can't afford them either! Hope you're well - the Falcon Grande is still going strong. I hope Billie is still well, the little sweetheart. She's one of the very few cats that didn't try to murder me on sight.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    DB1 said:
     I hope Billie is still well, the little sweetheart. She's one of the very few cats that didn't try to murder me on sight.
    She's very well and still a sweetheart (to you and anyone else who visits. Me, I'm just her slave :lol: )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DB1 said:
     I hope Billie is still well, the little sweetheart. She's one of the very few cats that didn't try to murder me on sight.
    She's very well and still a sweetheart (to you and anyone else who visits. Me, I'm just her slave :lol: )

That's good. Just as it should be. <3
    Call me Dave.
    Withdrawn for now. 
    Call me Dave.
    edited April 2021
    And up for sale again with a price drop to £1895 in case I've over priced it. As usual, I've seen something else that I want and I can't afford to just keep buying and buying without selling. Can I?

No, really. Can I? 

(I still might entertain trades though - 335-ish, Tele, something with a trem, archtop, J45, you know, that sort of thing.)
    Call me Dave.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Ooooooh you devil....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Fabulous
    A Bank Holiday bounce for this beauty. I change my tastes in guitars like I change my underwear - approximately every two weeks - so a 335 might be on for a trade, or a 275, 330, archtop, etc might be of interest as a p/ex. I don't mind adding cash as well. Well, I do, but I can.

It's away being set up at the moment, so won't be with me until the end of the week, as  - as my set-up chap helpfully opined - it's being set up for a 'normal' person. I chose to take that as a compliment. *

* Even though I know it wasn't.
    Call me Dave.
    edited May 2021
    A  gentle bump for this beauty - as you might be able to tell from the infrequency of the bumps, I'm struggling with this. I've got a few more pics. I think it's the prettiest guitar that I've ever had. I went all weak at the knees when I saw it earlier, but I'm a bit weird like that. It's back from set up, plays really nicely - I played it just now and was going to put it on eBay. Now I'm not.  I've included a selfie of me inspecting the COA.

Call me Dave.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    It remains a very cool thing 
    You're a man of taste and discernment, Tom. I've always said that.  :)
    Call me Dave.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    That or waste and disillusionment  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2021
    Gretsch still available - after dithering about it for ages, recent impulse buys mean that I should really try and retrieve a few quid.  Either that or I can't fund my Auntie Jean's cataract operation. Mind you, I was never very fond of her.

Here's another one for sale then- I already have a standard 1959 ES-125, so I thought that a 1959 ES-125 Thinline might be a good mate for it. Well, I've also bought a couple of other thinlines, so I'm covered there really. I wonder why I didn't think of that before? Where's that clown emoji when you need it? Oh yes, there it is. Hello mirror.

Anyway, I bought it from a dealer in LA (not the Lancaster postcode - Los Angeles) in January, who clearly forgot to mention that the frets weren't included in the sale. Slight exaggeration, but they were low. The tech ('Mr Norton' - the one that does my invoices and adds a nought on) thought that it was borderline at about 0.8mm, but I thought that a) if I was keeping it it had to be done right and b) if I was selling it, it had to be done right, which didn't leave much option but to do it right.

So although Edith Piaf kept shouting 'Je ne refrette rien', this one has had one. It's a nice sympathetic refret, with vintage style fretwork, instead of some of the chunkier refrets that you see, which - to me - means that I can preserve the character of the guitar.

Other issues? None really - it's in excellent condition, it's got a good quality (later)  case, the P90 sounds like it should, it's so easy to play, weighs about 5.8lbs, nut width is about 42mm, but the fretboard feels a little wider than some ES-125's that I've had, and the neck is less chunky than others from 1959, more D I think, but I'm no expert - it's not cramped, that's what I'm saying, so there's no need to go to the expense of a Cleartone Conversion if your fingers are of the saucisson persuasion.

It's got a little chunk missing from the top of the headstock where I've nibbled it, because it's so tasty. This is clearly a lie, but it has got a little bit that's chipped away. The neck might have had a revarnish at some point as it feels glossier than it has a right to, but I'm not sure. I think everything's original, but I get confused with how old I am, never mind guitar parts.

I've got loads of pics for anyone that's interested, but I've included a few to demonstrate its condition. It's back off to Mr Norton for a day or so tomorrow for another setup after it's settled down following its refret - it's currently wearing D'Addario Chromes (11's) but I think it's one of those guitars that 12's would be fine on, which it perhaps came out of the factory with anyway. Or 13's. I dunno.

Cost? Well, it's a bit tricky, because there aren't that many around. I think the New Kings Road had one at £2150 a while ago, and Frets have one at £2250, but I know what this one's like and it's had a very good refret. It's cost me quite a bit more than this, so I think £1995 sounds fair. Anyway, let me know if you're interested, and I'm sure we can sort something out - meeting up, or me delivering is preferred, the seedier the layby or public convenience the better, of course. As usual.

Don't forget, I'm only doing this for Auntie Jean's eye operation, although now I come to think of it, she once smacked my legs for biting my cousins arm in her greenhouse. Fancy smacking a 42 year old, the old bag.

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I so badly need to Lol and Wow this! Excellent post  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Gorgeous, Dave. The 59 is gorgeous. Aren’t 59 Gibsons meant to have some extra noughts on the end of the price tag?
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7105
    Gorgeous guitar and another superbly written post Dave :-)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Fabulous necks on the 59 ES-125T, chunky and comfortable. Someone is in for a treat.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    That es125T...phwoar...drooling...
  • pruddprudd Frets: 654
    That 125t is lovely, shouldn't be around for long at that price.
    edited May 2021

Hattigol said:
    I so badly need to Lol and Wow this! Excellent post 

I should have taken the pics with no trousers on. That would have narrowed the options down to 'lol'.

Thanks for the comments, chaps - I should say that I'm happy to look at interesting trades as well, especially for the Gretsch - Tele/Strat/335/L-00, etc.

Auntie says never mind about her eye op, I can just buy her a kaleidoscope for her birthday and keep her good eye entertained for hours.
    Call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom