If you like that, you're an idiot....

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    edited March 2021
    I used to own a PRS and I'm going for a dentist's appointment next month. I've never ridden a horse, not even a high one, but I think these new guitars are poo. Maybe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8295
    impmann said:

I don't understand why they have a built in distortion box

I don't understand why some guitars have bridge pick-ups but each to their own.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    They're so ugly that I find them offensive to the eye, like a Nissan Juke, I think first, who signed off on the design to go into production, and second, what kind of twat would buy one? Then I think hey ho who cares, it's a first world kind of non-problem!
  • sorefingasorefinga Frets: 36
    Rowby1 said:
    As for dentists, the singer in one of my covers bands is a dentist.....can play the guitar.....doesn’t own a PRS.
    On the other hand, I do own a PRS, but have been to the dentist once in the past 30 years. Unsurprisingly the PRS is in much better shape than my teeth.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Until I joined this forum I did not realise that my socio-economic class, my level of musicianship, how much I have gigged, my employment and my taste in decor, could all be judged by the brand of guitar I bought.  Honestly, no idea.
    I mentioned something like this before and was told to 'Get orf my laaand' or something like that.

With the levels of criticism and condescension in some of the threads I would not consider posting anything here about my gear or playing.

Contrapuntally speaking I have also had some great chats with members her but all by private messaging and not in the public threads.

To put not to fine a point on it, balls to them. If you have a guitar and enjoy playing something on it, then that's a win. That's what should matter to you, and no-one has any right to take that away.

In the main I've found this place to be pretty accepting of differing tastes and abilities - the odd thread descends into arbitrarily quantifying "gear" and a spot of elitism but it's easy to ignore. 

Then again I own an amplifier with EL84 output valves so what do I know :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    Robot tuners anyone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 888
    They're so ugly that I find them offensive to the eye, like a Nissan Juke, I think first, who signed off on the design to go into production, and second, what kind of twat would buy one? Then I think hey ho who cares, it's a first world kind of non-problem!
    Point in case , why are they "a twat" for liking something that you don't? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 710
    Exactly! I'm trying to convey my thoughts/ emotions, to help understand what's going on
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    Since this thread keeps circling around the Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster before drifting off again, I think it looks interesting but I prefer the Strat and Tele versions.  I know they're nowhere near "proper" acoustic guitars, but I find acoustics very uncomfortable to play and these Fenders are quite appealing, although I'm unlikely to ever buy one. 
  • randella said:
    Until I joined this forum I did not realise that my socio-economic class, my level of musicianship, how much I have gigged, my employment and my taste in decor, could all be judged by the brand of guitar I bought.  Honestly, no idea.
    I mentioned something like this before and was told to 'Get orf my laaand' or something like that.

With the levels of criticism and condescension in some of the threads I would not consider posting anything here about my gear or playing.

Contrapuntally speaking I have also had some great chats with members her but all by private messaging and not in the public threads.

To put not to fine a point on it, balls to them. If you have a guitar and enjoy playing something on it, then that's a win. That's what should matter to you, and no-one has any right to take that away.

In the main I've found this place to be pretty accepting of differing tastes and abilities - the odd thread descends into arbitrarily quantifying "gear" and a spot of elitism but it's easy to ignore. 

Then again I own an amplifier with EL84 output valves so what do I know :)
    Reading that back I think it sounds like I care a lot more than I do. 

It is more bewilderment than anything.  
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4626
    I once bought a Dean Flying V acoustic , it was quite cool though 
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 190
    Can we at least have a tip of the hat and a nod of appreciation for "Contrapuntally." ?
    Well played sir!, well played...
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    edited March 2021
    If I was a singer in a band who played a mix of electric or acoustic live I’d buy one. I could see it doing very well with lots of live bands. I actually think Fender are onto something with this. It’s not my taste. But I can see them on a stage near you at some point. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14196
    I think some people place far too much importance on words, whether good or bad, typed by strangers on the internet. Having a sense of humour and a degree of resilience to such trivial nonsense can really help keep all this in perspective.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    edited March 2021
    AlbertC said:
     "an answer to a problem nobody has" was my comment. All I can say is the comment was meant to be (exactly as you put it) good natured ribbing.
    I'm a little surprised if anyone misinterpreted it as anything more than that but if any Acoustasonic owners feel particularly aggrieved then you're more than welcome to insult my heavy relic CS Tele...

Fire away 

I sold my Heavy Relic Tele.  I now have an Acoustasonic Tele (a present from my wife).

I wouldn't buy a heavy relic again.  The relicing looked more fake than Tony Blair's smile, and it started to grate on me after a while. That wasn't the only reason I sold it, but it definitely didn't help.  I don't like having all the finish sanded off the neck either.

I said in the other thread that the acoustasonic would be better with the option of a raw output from the magnetic pickup.  If you want the option of using drive pedals after it, you want them before the amp.  That is a drawback.

Because of that, you need to treat it primarily as an electroacoustic.  It is very, very good plugged in.  Through a PA it definitely sounds better than my Stonebridge with a K&K Pure Mini.  That's not even close.  It might even sound better than my Martin with a Fishman blender pickup (that would set you back somewhere round £250 just for the pickup).  Given the small body, it's very feedback resistant as well, which the Martin isn't with the gooseneck mic on the blender.  As a stage acoustic into a PA it is superb, and it's the best option I have, even though I have two really good acoustics with good pickups.

It doesn't do any harm to have the extra electric sounds, although they are limited because the amp modelling is built into the guitar.  That seems to be deliberate though.  The idea is that you turn up with nothing but the guitar and plug it straight into the PA.  For a singer who plays rhythm guitar, it would make life very simple.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    edited March 2021
    Yes, I think it is aimed very much at the acoustic guitarist market rather than the electric, despite being apparently based on electric guitar models. In that context I can see the point of putting the distortion in the guitar, even though for me it’s a big negative.

Maybe Fender are right that the growth potential is in acoustic guitars and not electrics...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Grampa said:
    Strangely as a PRS owner I fail to see any apparent humour in the never ending inane dentist quips, usually from members who have never even owned a PRS, let alone lowered themselves down far enough from their high horses to actually try one.

Wish I could say I'm a dentist, but sadly I'm not and have to save extremely hard to afford even something from the SE series.
    The dentist thing hasn't been very funny for a while now. And it's usually said by people who have custom shop & relic'd Fenders, which is a far stranger concept than a well made PRS to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    I’m not averse to the occasional bit of dentist humour, and I own two PRSs - previously another four, and used two of them more or less exclusively with my band for five years... not sure why I would feel it’s aimed at me. Never owned a CS Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TanninTannin Frets: 5997

Lewy said:

or the more subtle "That's an answer to a problem nobody has" or "I don't get what it's for" even after people who've bought the product and are using it respond to answer exactly those things. 

I asked that question. Why? Because I didn't understand what the point of the instrument was. And I read the answer. Can't say I'm much wiser now. Don't get upset about it, people are different. That's life. Get used to it.
  • eogeog Frets: 40
    These sorts of comments don't so much bother me as they surprise me. I will never understand what compels someone to slag another person off for liking a particular type of guitar, of all things. They are handy though, in that I know to disregard pretty much anything that person has to say about other things