Which sports commentator(s) do you miss most?

What's Hot
NeillNeill Frets: 941
The recent passing of Murray Walker prompted a piece by one sports writer bemoaning the demise of real personalities among sports commentators.  I must admit there are a fair few "personalities" I can happily live without, but I do miss dear old Bill McLaren and though I'm not a darts fan there's never going to be another Sid Waddell.

Anyone fancy joining me for a trip down memory lane..?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Richie Benaud, obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Has to be David Coleman 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited March 2021
    Brian Johnston.
    The King of TMS and a thoroughly nice chap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    poopot said:
    Has to be David Coleman 
    My favourite commentary of all time is David Coleman on the 1968 Olympic 400 metres hurdles final, especially the last few seconds:

"...It's Hemery for Great Britain....It's Hemery for Great Britain.... Hemery wins the gold, Hennige's second, and who cares whose third...!"

Ironically of course Selby's John Sherwood was third, and as a fellow Yorkshireman I wouldn't normally forgive such an omission, but Coleman expressed the excitement of an entire nation that day, in my book it's up there with "they think it's all over". 

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    Brian Moore. 
    Being allowed to stay up and watch Midweek Sports Special brings back a lot of warm fuzzy memories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    'Whispering' Ted Lowe and another less well known snooker commentator Jack Karnehm. Both had insight into the sport, a wonderful feel of when to speak (not just every second a player isn't actually taking a shot which seems to be the memo that went out a few years ago), and they both had a perfect timbre to their voice that seemed to reflect the game itself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2281
    Retired: Motty. 
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    John Arlott 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Cliff Morgan, Johners, John Arlott
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    Alan Green.

No, not really.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    Archie MacPherson... Woooof!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    Phil Liggett and the late Paul Sherwen. That 89 Tour final stage TT was incredible.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2940
    edited March 2021
    In the early days of Eurosport, the guy that did the commentary for the Tour de France. Basically an eight hour shift talking about various bits of France to an audience he couldn't really connect to. So he just rambled away all day.

"and this part of France is famous for it's bridge across the ravine, built in 1809 it's a technological marvel of it's time. And there you can see a spectator getting a good view of the field as it passes by. I hope they don't get too close the edge of that barrier, it's a long way down! Ha Ha. Wait a minute, they are climbing onto the railings, oh God they are going to jump. He's standing on the ledge. someone do something. Oh no, he's jumped off the bridge. Oh it's a bungee jumper. The vineyards in this part of France have some of the best wines in the region......etc.... "

Edit: David Duffield, who apparently is no longer with us RIP
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4985
    edited March 2021
    Phil Liggett and the late Paul Sherwen. That 89 Tour final stage TT was incredible.
    Much missed...   "and you know what Phil?"...

As much as Liggett is the Voice of Cycling, Paul was the background noise that made it all gel and make sense. Many a Chateux owe their fame to Mssr Sherwen.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Barry Davies.

A man who could commentate rather than talk all over the action, amd whose reactions were more like those of the bloke on the terraces.

"Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is  you know."

"Look at his face, just look at his face."

"Where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares."

Nobody these days comes close. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    scrumhalf said:
    Barry Davies.

A man who could commentate rather than talk all over the action, amd whose reactions were more like those of the bloke on the terraces.

"Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is  you know."

"Look at his face, just look at his face."

"Where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares."

Nobody these days comes close. 
    @scrumhalf If I could give this 10 wiz's, I would. That 88 hockey commentary re "the Germans" was inspired. He could cover all sports with equal authority.

I used to like David Coleman's "One nil!" a lot too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited March 2021
    Bill mcLaren  Harry Carpenter 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Benaud. Absolutely sets the mark for former players who turn commentator. Superb on the microphone and a wonderful writer. 

Tony Cozier is a very close second. 

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    fob said:
    'Whispering' Ted Lowe and another less well known snooker commentator Jack Karnehm. Both had insight into the sport, a wonderful feel of when to speak (not just every second a player isn't actually taking a shot which seems to be the memo that went out a few years ago), and they both had a perfect timbre to their voice that seemed to reflect the game itself.
    Ah yes, who could forget Cliff Thorburn's 147 - the first ever on TV, and Jack Karnehm's "Good luck mate.." as the Canadian lined up for the final black.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6899
    edited March 2021
    Lowe, Benaud, Waddell, Carpenter all come to mind. Sounds of my youth I guess. I don’t watch televised sport these days though, with the exception of boxing.
    Previously known as stevebrum