The thrill of finding new music

scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
It doesn't go away!

Thanks to Youtube's algorithm doing its stuff I've come across an early 70s band called Frumpy. In all my many years of being, according to more than a few friends, way too interested in music, I've never even heard of them.

Holy shit, what a band. Some call them Krautrock because they are German but to me they are proper progressive rock (as opposed to prog rock) in the way that many bands were in the late 60s and early 70s. Excellent musicians and Inge Rumpf on vocals (the band's name is a play on her name) who is now one of my favurite female vocalists. There's stuff of theirs all over Youtube, some o the live stuff is wonderful.

Once again I have the joy (there is no other word) of listening to music I've never heard before in decades of listening to music and it's the same joy I've had ever since I was a mere lad.

A taste:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LogieLogie Frets: 443
    I like that. Never heard of them either but sounds great. Like an amalgam of Floyd/ Camel/ Focus with a cracking voice on top. You’re never too old to discover new/ old music :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    There must have been some bloody good drugs back then because I got 2:30 and the organ solo was literally killing me so I turned it off. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited March 2021
    Try the German band Spliff.
    The album Spliff Radio Show is a masterpiece imo.
    It has everything.
    Great narrative  musicians vocals lyrics comedy production and SQ on vinyl and CD.
    They even kept the turn this sucker over on the end of side one when it was transferred to CD.
    I heard it just after it was released on cassette in a friend’s XJ6 and thought it was Zappa because he wouldn’t tell me who it was.
    I bought the LP a couple of days later.
    I’ve a few vinyl and CD copies I’ve picked up on my travels around the world since then
    The whole album is bellow.
    https://youtu.be/VQAKWyPAkO8

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Frumpy, Spliff... where the hell did they get these names from..?   Sorry but I would never have gone to see a band called Frumpy in the 1970's.  I guess it probably sounds cool if you speak German but it's like some of those car names that just sound ridiculous when they cross international boundaries, like the Mitsubishi Lettuce or the Isuzu Bighorn.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    You were alive in the 70s and don’t know what a Spliff is ?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    I concur with the sentiment. I still buy cd's, but I have a trial Amazon Music sub and I've been able to indulge in new / new to me music up the wazoo. 

Enjoying exploring:

Pino's record w/Blake Mills and Sam Gendel
    Pharaoh Sanders new one
    Val McCallum
    Bo Ramsey
    Wall of Voodoo
    Warren Zevon
    Dio

....amongst many others