Best used bass for £200 ish?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I bought a 5 string Harley Benton bass a couple of months ago, and now I fancy getting a 4 string as well.

I'm not really a bass player though, so I don't want to sink much money into it. I also want to buy used so I get a better instrument and I'll get most of my money back if I decide to move it on.

Any idea on decent used 4 string basses for £200-£250 ish? 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    hobbio said:
    I bought a 5 string Harley Benton bass a couple of months ago, and now I fancy getting a 4 string as well.

I'm not really a bass player though, so I don't want to sink much money into it. I also want to buy used so I get a better instrument and I'll get most of my money back if I decide to move it on.

Not sure what kind of bass you're looking for, but here are some suggestions

If you can find one, OLP basses are amazing for the money.  However they are pretty tricky to get hold of because they're really good.  That would be my number one choice if you're after a Stingray style bass.

Squier Jazz Bass - these occasionally pop up sub-£200, Vintage Modern or Classic Vibe would be perfect but hard to find in-budget.

I picked up a Yamaha RBX375 for £200 and that's a superb modern style bass - you'd want the 374 for fewer strings.  

Ibanez SR300 would also be a really good, modern bass for the budget.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    hobbio said:

Having seen you're in Southampton - this is over in Pompey and looks really good

https://reverb.com/uk/item/39495782-ibanez-sr400eqmbbt-electric-bass-brown-burst
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Squier Vintage Modified series
    Yamaha RBX or Attitude Plus (if you can find one)
    Sterling/SUB 
    Ibanez Soundgear
    Rockbass by Warwick (their less fashionable models)
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I had a SUB5 and it was a really solid bass, probably the best junior-brand bass I've had.

If you're not in a hurry and aren't too picky you can pick up a bargain - I got a beat-up MIM Fender Precision for £100 last year; whilst that price might be a one-off, £250 could be doable to pick one up.

RockBasses can be a bit hit and miss - I've had one which I found very uncomfortable to play and another I made from parts which was really good.
  • IntoTheRoughIntoTheRough Frets: 52
    edited March 2021
    I bought my first ever bass after playing geet only for almost 30 years - a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass in sunburst from GuitarGuitar (who were great). Can't fault the sound of it but I don't really know any better! I had to tweak the truss rod a bit because it was just too buzzy for me out the box.

Obviously this is a bit cheaper than you said as it isn't used. A bass playing friend of mine recommended it as basically the best I could get for that budget (I will only ever use it for recording).

You can hear it in action here 
    and probably everything I've put out!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    I'm a rhythm guitarist learning bass as bass players seem to be in short supply, in my band at least - we have got through a few...

So I thought I'd just learn bass as it's easier to find a rhythm guitar player.

I bough an Ibanez Soundgear SR300E bass (one of the low mid-level models). It really nice to play. The only thing I would do differently is buy one without the on-board battery as I have to unplug it when I'm done playing or the battery continues to discharge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    edited March 2021
    If you have a modern style bass already then buy a 4 string precsion style bass. A "P" is still the most natural classic one size fits all bass tone. Vintage v4, Squire classic vibe(pricey now) or an SX will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Adey said:
    Ibanez Soundgear SR300E bass … buy one without the on-board battery as I have to unplug it when I'm done playing or the battery continues to discharge.
    Firstly, the SR300 has always been active, to power the onboard EQ circuitry.

Secondly, if the battery discharges even after the jack plug is disconnected, there is a wiring error on the jack socket.

If you upload photographs of the SR300 jack socket soldering terminals, somebody here can tell you how to correct the problem. :)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881

Hard to go too far wrong with anything that says Squier, Vintage, Yamaha, or Ibanez on the headstock.

For £200-ish a Yamaha BB414 would be my preference. Second hand Squiers seem to have lept in price - presumably the "everyone is bored in lockdown" effect. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    You should be able to get an Ibanez or Yamaha for that price as noted already here - either of those would be great (though perhaps avoid any Ibanez GIO or any model numbers beginning with G, as these are the cheapy Argos-level models)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    EDIT: ignore me
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Vintage V4 is pretty highly rated and sells for £270 brand new.

Not sure they'll be so easy to find second hand but if you do then it'd surely be under £200.

P.S. don't worry about the P style bass only having one pickup or think it means it lacks "versatility" in any way - P basses don't need extra pickups, knobs or switches to fit in to just about any genre you want. Especially if your band has a rhythm guitarist, a P will be good.
    In a field of basses including Ibanez, Yamaha, Sterling and even *retches* Sire, I wouldn't touch a Vintage with a dog-chewed stick, and I'd laugh in the face of anyone trying to get £270 for one.
    Adey said:
    Ibanez Soundgear SR300E bass … buy one without the on-board battery as I have to unplug it when I'm done playing or the battery continues to discharge.

Secondly, if the battery discharges even after the jack plug is disconnected, there is a wiring error on the jack socket.

If you upload photographs of the SR300 jack socket soldering terminals, somebody here can tell you how to correct the problem. :)

Nothing wrong with the electronics. It's the lead I have to unplug, not the battery.

I'd rather just put it down when I'm done and not have to take the lead out....
    In a field of basses including Ibanez, Yamaha, Sterling and even *retches* Sire, I wouldn't touch a Vintage with a dog-chewed stick, and I'd laugh in the face of anyone trying to get £270 for one.
    EDIT: ignore me

Adey said:
    Adey said:

Nothing wrong with the electronics. It's the lead I have to unplug, not the battery.

Passive or active regardless; you really should unplug the cable anyways unless you want to end up with jack socket connection issues along the line.
    Adey said:
    Adey said:

I'm with you on finding that an annoyance.

Not exactly the hugest inconvenience of all time but still, I understand you wanting to avoid it.

It's not just the inconvenience when you remember to take it out, when you forget because you're used to years and years of leaving cables in then it drains the battery.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Thanks people, plenty to think about here. I'm more into modern looks rather than P or J basses so I'll look down that avenue.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Gulliver said:
    hobbio said:

Having seen you're in Southampton - this is over in Pompey and looks really good

https://reverb.com/uk/item/39495782-ibanez-sr400eqmbbt-electric-bass-brown-burst
    This is right up my alley and I miiiight have put an offer in ;)

As it seems to be sold now, I guess you may have bought it????