Playing out from the back. And gifting a goal. Happens so many times.

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2278
Just watched Fred for Man U give the ball away and concede a goal due to error pass “playing out from the back” when there’s a high press. 

How many times do we see top flight teams screw this up? Very many.  There’s playing out from the back and there is dicking about in your own penalty area gifting a goal. Very few goalkeepers and defences seem capable of doing this without being risky and screwing it up. It’s a modern blight. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• On mumsnet this thread would have already turned into a wrong'un.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Well it’s is based on extremely unrepresentative statistical representation of reality in choice of words ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7106
    Bournemouth and Howe in his last season. Not that I’m qualified to judge but I think he’s a great coach but was totally wedded to that approach even when the players lost confidence and the midfield started hiding rather than making themselves available. Conceded so many silly goals and unlike previous seasons couldnt score enough at the other end to compensate.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I can't think of many positives about this other than it ties up one or two opponents which might make a difference if you manage to get the ball upfield.

If you lose possession too close to your own goal, however, you risk having too many opponents in advantageous positions. 

If you're going to lose possession you may as well lamp it upfield and lose possession 50 yards from your goal with most if your team ready to defend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    It was a crap pass from Maquire to be fair
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    The club I support have tried this a few times, and took too long to realise that our defenders are shit and can't pass, and our midfielders have no ball control anyway...

Long ball also didn't work because our strikers are also shit
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    A team of incredible players, versus a team of excellent players with a silver medal mentality. The desire within players like Tielemans, Soyuncu and Ndidi always gave Leicester a chance today
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Fair play to Leicester, they 100% played better.  But... fuck a doodle doooooo did we make it easy for them.

So sick of the team tbh.  Have been for a while.  Ole isn't good enough either.  Even without the goal, Fred was the worst player on the pitch by a mile, yet stayed on until 84 mins, and 4 others were taken off before him?

Bruno didn't play today, but Ole would normally overplay him, even when we have a 4-0 aggregate lead, he still plays him.

Bahhhh.  

Congrats Leicester, who are everyone's second favourite club!  They do everything right about football imo
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    The club I support have tried this a few times, and took too long to realise that our defenders are shit and can't pass, and our midfielders have no ball control anyway...

@thecolourboxnoticed our Graeme has pitched up at Newcastle after disastrous stints at Luton and Bournemouth. I think the system worked pretty well for the Belgian national side but as we know it can drain the confidence of defenders and keepers. Our spacegoat keeper from that era is now England material apparently - as you mention he's just hitting it long now and his strengths are there for all to see. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325

Are you a Pompey fan too?

@thecolourboxnoticed our Graeme has pitched up at Newcastle after disastrous stints at Luton and Bournemouth. I think the system worked pretty well for the Belgian national side but as we know it can drain the confidence of defenders and keepers. Our spacegoat keeper from that era is now England material apparently - as you mention he's just hitting it long now and his strengths are there for all to see. 
    Apparently so yeah, he's certainly a different player than we've seen before, will serve us well if we can sell him in the summer! And they'll try and get another keeper who tries to play out from the bloody back
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2278
    Arsenal yesterday. Jeez. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    It's all very well playing out from the back as you are keeping possession, but only do it when it's safe to do so.
    Not like my team (Arsenal) throwing the ball to a full back when he's being closed down by an opposition forward - like the keeper has no other option. Hoof the bloody thing up the park like they used to.
    It seems everyone but Arteta can see it's not working. Faffing about with the ball in your own box is asking for trouble.
  • It only works if you've got players who are good under pressure in possession on the ball. I.e Barcelona in their day or Man City. Some of the way ward passes that have let to goals conceded by Arsenal have been so amateur. Like the one against Burnley. Surely Leno saw Xhaka was being marked and a pass wasn't on, so why didn't he kick it long? Gabriel's pass last night was so bad, no one else showed for the ball however.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2278
    Spurs today. Gifted Newcastle at the back. Pathetic. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I hate the back pass to the goalie tactic. It seems like an automatic reaction for so many defenders rather than even attempting to get the ball upfield. Ruins the flow of the game and is so negative. It doesn’t even make tactical sense... you’ve got control of the ball but pass it to the goalie, who then hoofs it upfield where the opposition have a 50:50 chance of getting hold of it. 
    edited April 2021
    boogieman said:
    I hate the back pass to the goalie tactic. It seems like an automatic reaction for so many defenders rather than even attempting to get the ball upfield. Ruins the flow of the game and is so negative. It doesn’t even make tactical sense... you’ve got control of the ball but pass it to the goalie, who then hoofs it upfield where the opposition have a 50:50 chance of getting hold of it. 
    On the other hand, a back pass and a hoof up the field by our keeper got my team's first goal against Chelsea at the weekend! The only time we have played it out from the back effectively, ever

Edit: on second thoughts, we were rather fortuitously assisted by Chelsea trying to play it out from the back, week, Silva in particular I suppose. Oh well
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited April 2021
    On the other hand, hoof it long, give it to the opposition repeatedly, and sooner or later they will come back down the pitch and score with that possession.

The solution is to get defenders who are actually footballers.  Pretty much every great side has at least one defender who is a good footballer and can pass.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I think the fear of being called a long-ball team is just too much to contemplate for some managers/teams. Hence they'd rather concede half a dozen goals a year by being caught passing out at the back.

It's crackers. There are times when putting your laces through it is the best thing. Just do it.

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    crunchman said:
    On the other hand, hoof it long, give it to the opposition repeatedly, and sooner or later they will come back down the pitch and score with that possession.

The solution is to get defenders who are actually footballers.  Pretty much every great side has at least one defender who is a good footballer and can pass.
    Yeah but it's better to risk the opposition getting the ball in their own half than it is just in front of your 18 yard box..