Confused. Telescope and spotting scope adapters

So what do I need to connect my Canon SLR to my spotting scope and later a telescope.
I can that as a minimum I need a T-Adapter.
My scope has a screw in eye piece, but there seems to be a whole load of other stuff on the market and can't quite work out how it all works.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Have done a little more research. My old scope is an opticron IF mk 2. Which I believe has and HDR type lens, i.e. it has an external thread.
    I can find lots of adapters for modern scopes (with a push in style connector) to accept these older style lenses but nothing the other way round. 
    Am I just out of luck with not option to connect to a T-Mount to my camera?

• TanninTannin Frets: 5423
    My view is that it's not worth doing. If you are just after record shots, a pocket camera will produce the same quality (near enough as makes no difference) and be much less cumbersome. (Of course, you still have to connect it somehow.)

If you are after something better than record shots, a made-for-purpose SLR lens is vastly, immeasurably superior to anything through a scope. Serious bird photographers use long, fast lenses (600/4, 400/2.8, and the like) which require a pretty substantial commitment. However you can get outstanding results with much smaller and more affordable kit: in the Canon world, the 100-400 Mark II is very, very hard to go past, and as birding lenses go it is not expensive. There are numerous others in the same price class, some of them offering longer focal lengths (150-600 for example) but none of them offering the same outstanding quality or the same delivered image detail. 

(My background: I started out digiscoping (Swarovski and Nikon) but switched to Canon SLRs years ago. See http://tannin.net.au for some samples of both.)
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    I was actually just thinking of experimenting with astrophotography before making a major investment in scopes/tripods/motorised mounts.