Rock stars and their personas

What's Hot
So...who is as they appear? Who is a fake?

e.g. 
I was a huge Bon Jovi fan in the 80s...but then he became a judgemental blow hard...fake. 

Bono...he has always been a judgemental hypocritical blowhard-but he never pretends to be otherwise. So not fake 

Dio...one of the nicest guys you’d ever wish to meet, genuinely caring....but had an image of “EVIL!” - inverse fake?

Bruce Dickinson-just as he appears. A very intense, intelligent, caring bloke. Doesn’t like being beaten in fencing competitions. :) Not fake. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    Not sure what you mean about Bon Jovi.

Livin on a prayer is basically a glam metal Bruce Springsteen song and politically he's basically aligned the same way.

Phil Collins would seem to be a real example of a fake. Making money by singing about the plight of the homeless while living as a tax exile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure what you mean about Bon Jovi.

Livin on a prayer is basically a glam metal Bruce Springsteen song and politically he's basically aligned the same way.
    I guess cos in the 80s he was the epitome of party hard, good time, party hard. But yeah -reading the song now you’re right. I just wasn’t expecting being lectured on how to live my life by him.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    What about Tantric sexing,yoga practicing ,ex-teachers from the North East of England ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    I think Sting took himself incredibly seriously in his younger days, seems quite willing to take the piss out himself now though. I was watching some backstage footage of Live Aid and all the celebs are smoking and pissing it up the wall and Sting is walking around very po-faced doing vocal exercises, the big turkey.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2021
    Keith Richards has to be real after everything he has put himself through! Would love to have a beer with him as he seems like a genuine sort of bloke 

Oh yeah, Mick Jones looks a top geezer too, whenever I've seen him interacting with the plebs.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    How can we know enough about what rock stars (or anyone else) are really like to be able to decide if they're "fake"?

Of course there are people I like or dislike, but that's based on impressions formed from maybe one or two things they've said or done.  It's nothing like knowing them personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    How can we know enough about what rock stars (or anyone else) are really like to be able to decide if they're "fake"?

Of course there are people I like or dislike, but that's based on impressions formed from maybe one or two things they've said or done.  It's nothing like knowing them personally.
    Fair comment. I’ve spent a few days with Bruce. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited March 2021
    I think when people are friends it becomes less relevant to see them in terms of a grouping as loose as rock stars. All the ‘famous’ people I’m close to are so different from one another - in fact the more you know them the more individual they are, naturally. 

The one thing all my close friends have in common, famous or not, is that they’re all extremely patient and considerate!

Edit - but on reflection, I think those who really seek the limelight above other things probably all share the same traits of ambition, drive, hunger, commitment, and probably a lot of self belief if not always self confidence.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I spent a day with K.K Downing about two years ago. A lovely fella, very genuine and decent human being. 

There wasn’t anything rock star in there, just a very decent guy where the conversation was certainly not centred around him. 

Had a briefer meeting with Martin Fry from ABC a few years earlier, I booked them to perform for my missus 50th birthday. Lovely fella too and in the afternoon when he arrived he asked if my missus would want to join them on stage for a song. It’s her favourite band and to see that happen later was just the most incredible experience ever. So he was decent too, genuinely wanted to make the event special, which it was.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Don't get me started on Gary Glitter.
    I've never felt so let down by another human being.
  • Sassafras said:
    Don't get me started on Gary Glitter.
    I've never felt so let down by another human being.
    You didn't know he was bald?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I don't really buy the whole 'fake' concept. Rock stars generally need a degree of contrived image, 'fake' as a word just sounds too damning to me. 

I also don't go for the whole Fred Bloggs from band x is a total cnut cos he snubbed me once. People living in a totally 'me' centric world.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Most of the "real" ones are dead.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I don't particularly like people with huge egos whether they're in the public eye or not.
    tFB Trader
    The closest I can think of someone who seems to inhabit his rock star persona at all times is Gene Simmons who consequently comes across as a total bell end most of the time.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Angus Young, Complete confident Rock god on stage, a very quietly spoken meek guy off stage
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    The closest I can think of someone who seems to inhabit his rock star persona at all times is Gene Simmons who consequently comes across as a total bell end most of the time.
    I’m trying to think of his name but one of the latter guitarists in Kiss launched a sig amp a few years ago. Profits went to a charity. Gene launched a sig bass guitar around the same time, profits went to Gene. Presumably the stand in guitarist is much less of a multi millionaire than Gene is. He doesn’t seem to be able to do anything without reinforcing his Bell endishness. I guess some people like that about him. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    I’m trying to think of his name but one of the latter guitarists in Kiss launched a sig amp a few years ago. Profits went to a charity. Gene launched a sig bass guitar around the same time, profits went to Gene. Presumably the stand in guitarist is much less of a multi millionaire than Gene is. He doesn’t seem to be able to do anything without reinforcing his Bell endishness. I guess some people like that about him. 

That would be Tommy Thayer.

Gene Simmons kind of reminds me of Donald Trump. I expect he would be pleased at that description.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293

That would be Tommy Thayer.

Gene Simmons kind of reminds me of Donald Trump. I expect he would be pleased at that description.
    Yes, Tommy Thayer. 
    I almost wrote ‘I guess some people like that about him, probably the same people who voted for Trump.’ That self made man therefore I can do what I want thing which is an interpretation of the American dream. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Ted Nugent, absolute dickhead and doessnt care who knows it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"