Most bang for your buck

What's Hot
What technique or practice routine has made the biggest difference to your playing for the smallest investment?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 408
    Learning a second instrument
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    Learning songs - it's not always a small investment, but it's improved various areas of my technique and timing.
  • Learning a second instrument
    I took up learning drums to practice my rhythm. Always been the weakest part of my playing. A lot of bang, but a lot of buck too!

CarpeDiem said:
    Learning songs - it's not always a small investment, but it's improved various areas of my technique and timing.

This is my greatest weakness. I know I have not invested in this over the years - I was exposed to the scales much too young. Have been 'improvising' ever since. Briefly flirted with the idea of a Peter Green song book as he is my favourite player. Might have to revisit this notion. Let me be a warning to others: don't teach kids the pentatonic! They might never learn another song ever again.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Playing along to songs rather than just learning it and playing by myself I think.
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 501
    Playing with others. Ideally better than you.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Playing in a band. I actually started playing bass in a band one day after picking up a bass. 

If you are learning to play in a band, do that.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    You could learn a lot from learning Peter Green songs, and any effort invested would be worth it in learning things like feel, bending, phrasing, etc. Whilst I can understand your comment that learning pentatonic shapes may have constrained you, there are plenty of pro musicians who only play pentatonics. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    1st: Listening to bands I like i.e ear training.
    2nd: playing with others.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Looper. Preferably with a good drum track. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    I think the highest return for least effort for me has been arpeggio substitution. A whole world of clever sounding note choices just by playing something you already know in a different setting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    I think the highest return for least effort for me has been arpeggio substitution. A whole world of clever sounding note choices just by playing something you already know in a different setting. 

Thanks, when I first read this I thought: "I know arpeggios". Then I googled it and realised I didn't know "arpeggio substitution". That does seem like a super cool technique, I'm going to have to start giving it a go.

These videos (if correct) are sub 5 minute ways to get your head around them:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Alt picking. Found it very easy indeed.