PC help - KVM/Dock/Hub advice

What's Hot
Looking for some help in choosing a KVM solution; I got the wife a new laptop and want to be able for her to connect to monitor keyboard and mouse when in the study. So USB-C hub that can charge the laptop while connected would be ideal for that...BUT...

In the interim she is moving over from her desktop PC so I could do with a KVM switch so she can easily swap between the two on the one screen until all her apps and functionality is working on the desktop (I get that this should be less than a days work - make the desktop redundant and go for the usb-c hub but she doesn't work like that)

Is there a KVM that could carry on life as the hub once the desktop is gone? That feels like wishful thinking as it probably wouldn't have usb-c PD to charge the laptop but don't want to pay out twice if there is something that will do it all off the bat.

Laptop is a dell inspiron 7506 2in1 with HDMI, usb-c and 2 x usb 3.2 SS ports
Desktop is a Lenovo ThinkCentre with VGA and Displayport and old USB 2.0 ports
Monitor is an old Dell with VGA and VDI inputs (I have a VDI - HDMI convertor)

Audio would be another consideration. Currently the desktop connects to 2.1 Logitech speakers. If they could be shared all the better. If not the desktop will carry on using them and the laptop will use it's internal speakers for now.

Any ideas or am i limited to as cheap a kvm as i can find and then a hub later?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    You're doomed. Get her to stuff all her data on a USB stick, have a day/weekend of pain, and move it all over in one go :)

Failing that, get the correct charging dock for the laptop, stick a simple KVM between the dock and the peripherals (just keys, mouse) and use the HDMI out from the dock, and VGA from the desktop, and the input selection switching on the monitor. It means pushing two buttons to switch between devices (one for keyboard/mouse another for video) but anything else will be eye-wateringly expensive for a short-term need, because you need to cover off too many combinations of video connection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited March 2021
    If it's only for a short period of time, can your wife remote desktop (or similar) into the desktop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Synergy is a good software solution.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    shuikit said:
    If it's only for a short period of time, can your wife remote desktop (or similar) into the desktop?
    Nobody likes cables, nobody! ^^^ This.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Not directly addressing the most salient bit of your question, but...

If you sell the old one and get a USB-C monitor, you can get one that with the single cable:
    • charges the laptop
    • displays the extra screen
    • acts as a USB hub for keyboard+mouse/etc
    • has audio out for speakers
     I use one with my M1 Macbook, and it's most excellent (Samsung 24H850).