I just made a new showreel

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6625
edited March 2021 in Off Topic

Hello. I'm a Director of Photography and Director in video production doing all sorts. I'm also very bored.

Lockdown has pretty much killed my industry for the last 12 months but thought it time to put something new together and try to get wheels turning again as stuff slowly ramps up again. This is the sort of stuff I shoot, edit and make look pretty. It's a bit long but is divided into sections so you know what you're watching. Will eventually be separate vids for different areas. 

I really want to do some profile / Mini-docs on UK builders (pedals/guitars/amps) as I'd really like to transition towards doing more MI industry stuff. Get in touch if you're in one of those fields and fancy collaborating on something. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Send me your rates. We may have projects coming up in future.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6625
    edited March 2021
    If you want to give me a shout about what sort of project you have in mind I am happy to put together a quote. 

There's not really any such thing as a standard rate for me these days as kit/crew/time requirements are different for every gig. 

For the builders I mentioned, I'm not looking to charge anything. Just want to make a couple of good mini films that all parties can enjoy and make use of. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    That's good.
    Wasn't keen on some of the content but loved the style, and the music as it happens.

edited March 2021
    Grunfeld said:
    That's good.
    Wasn't keen on some of the content but loved the style, and the music as it happens.

Cheers. Not keen as in it was shit or not keen as in it rubbed you the wrong way or not keen as in it was a bit boring and corporatey?

Always tricky with a reel. They say dress for the job you want but you also need to get more of the job that you don't show off about but that pays your mortgage. 

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    That looks great Ben! Very pro indeed.

I'd love to get something like this done to showcase my builds :)  
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    That looks great Ben! Very pro indeed.

I'd love to get something like this done to showcase my builds :)  

Cheers matey I appreciate it. I didn't want to start tagging everyone willy nilly but you were certainly top of my list for people I'd like to collaborate on something with. I think your work would look great on camera and your story would be very interesting. 

I'm on 'putting the toddler to bed' duty tonight but I will get back to you tomorrow in a private message with some ideas and probably a whole heap of questions. 

soma1975 said:
    Grunfeld said:
    That's good.

Cheers. Not keen as in it was shit or not keen as in it rubbed you the wrong way or not keen as in it was a bit boring and corporatey?

Always tricky with a reel. They say dress for the job you want but you also need to get more of the job that you don't show off about but that pays your mortgage. 
    Rubbed up the wrong way!  But it's genuinely me; not you!  I'm a bit iffy about that kind of presentation of alcohol but I think I'm way ahead of the curve.  In 2021 showing alcohol like that looks normal whereas to my eyes it's a representation of a damaging and dominant belief system which is virtually invisible.  One day this will make sense to more people but probably not today!  Like I said, it's me not you!
    edited March 2021
    Ah gotcha no that's perfectly cool.  If your client is a brewery you're going to try ot hit their brand guideline. On the flipside there's a few clips in there from a BBC doc I shot for teenagers (cough cough BAFTA winning) on the science behind alcohol misuse filled with people telling their stories, some of which were pretty horrible.  

So swings and roundabout. The filming equivalent of doing adverts for Coke AND Pepsi. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Looks great!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Looks great!
    Thanks mate. Appreciated. 

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    Grunfeld said:
    soma1975 said:
    Grunfeld said:
    That's good.

Rubbed up the wrong way!  But it's genuinely me; not you!  I'm a bit iffy about that kind of presentation of alcohol but I think I'm way ahead of the curve.  In 2021 showing alcohol like that looks normal whereas to my eyes it's a representation of a damaging and dominant belief system which is virtually invisible.  One day this will make sense to more people but probably not today!  Like I said, it's me not you!
    I'm curious about your thoughts on that subject Grun. I watched it and it didn't spark anything in me.

Nice showreel, I'd love to have some of that talent myself. 
    Cheers @roundthebend

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    That kid who's playing video games and rubs it in his dad's face when he wins needs taking down a peg or 2
    edited March 2021
    DefaultM said:
    That kid who's playing video games and rubs it in his dad's face when he wins needs taking down a peg or 2

That was a Playstation advert for Father's Day. The other version is the Dad absolutely screaming in the kid's face as he beats him which was much better but Sony decided it looked a bit bullying despite them being actual father and son mucking about.

• soma1975 said:
    If you want to give me a shout about what sort of project you have in mind I am happy to put together a quote. 

There's not really any such thing as a standard rate for me these days as kit/crew/time requirements are different for every gig. 

For the builders I mentioned, I'm not looking to charge anything. Just want to make a couple of good mini films that all parties can enjoy and make use of. 

Just a heads up, if you're wanting to get into music tech, having some guideline pricing for a variety of types of project is a good idea. A sort of "This project cost XXX, and it involved.... XYZ ... but this other project was much more self contained and so it only cost XYZ"

When I propose external teams coming in to deliver content, price is usually the biggest barrier.

Bye!

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Very professional reel that showcases your DOP skills very well. Maybe a bit long with too much padding? A 45-90 sec reel of items that showcase your high points may work better in our short attention span world. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Very slick.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Superb!
    JezWynd said:
    Very professional reel that showcases your DOP skills very well. Maybe a bit long with too much padding? A 45-90 sec reel of items that showcase your high points may work better in our short attention span world. 

Thank you. Yes deffo too long as it stands and they are going to be separate videos at some point for different markets of what I do. Basically Dave Corporate is not interested in whether I can shoot a Lamborghini nicely and Billy Fastcar is not interested in how well I timelapse a building renovation. 

I'm curious about your thoughts on that subject Grun. I watched it and it didn't spark anything in me.

Sure, I thought I'd make a post over in FIN because I don't want to hijack or derail Ben's thread here :) .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom