Calling all soldering wizards!

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
I need to solder in three new tactile switches that measure 6mm x 6mm to a board and there is not a lot of room to do it! What would be the best watt iron and tip to use please?

Also, desolder braid or pump for confined space with regards to removal of old switches please?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited March 2021
    25 watt iron is fine. Choice of tip is dictated by space / whatever you’re comfortable with. Something like 3mm will be fine. I use braid and pump - pump to remove the bulk and then braid to remove traces from PCB / legs of switch. If I could only use one of those on that job, I’d opt for braid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Get some flux.  Soldering without flux is like a dry hump.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    exocet said:
    25 watt iron is fine. Choice of tip is dictated by space / whatever you’re comfortable with. Something like 3mm will be fine. I use braid and pump - pump to remove the bulk and then braid to remove traces from PCB / legs of switch. If I could only use one of those on that job, I’d opt for braid.
    Thank you I’ll order some braid, I have the pump.

Emp_Fab said:
    Get some flux.  Soldering without flux is like a dry hump.
    I have flux, me and flux are an old friend after making thousands of tattoo needles.  :s
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    If it's leaded solder then you need an iron that gets hot. Stating the wattage of an iron is a bit pointless as how hot the component gets depends on how long you hold the iron against it and whether the iron remains a constant temperature when held against something. I use my Weller on the same temp for every job from laptop SM to large TRIAC's and stuff, just vary the time. Same deal when I'm using hot air for SM stuff. 

Sometimes if the tracks are vulnerable  and it's really crowded you are better off cutting the old component so each leg can be removed easily with no damage to the track. 

I use a decent braid to clean up after removing the old component the trick is don't attempt to slide the braid unless there's plenty of heat on it . 

Then I would use leaded solder to put the new one on
    www.2020studios.co.uk