Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Smaller ES-335 (ES-337?) build

What's Hot

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    edited October 2021
    Question for the experts, the neck blank has a couple of splits in one end. Judging by how far back it goes on one side, it's possible that wherever I cut the neck, the split will go into it.

What should I do?
    - Try and return it to the seller? I've already emailed them to ask what they think.
    - Cut the blank to length and hope the split disappears
    - Not worry about the split, maybe it can be used at the heel end and glued up????

Here's a photo of the end, and the side. On the side photo I highlighted how far the split goes as it's not very clear. On this photo the end of the neck template is where it would end up.

Cheers in advance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Hmmm...tricky one.

There's a 4th option.  Maybe contact the seller to see if they are OK for you to cut it to length and if the crack has gone past that point, then return it?

End cracks can happen due to that area drying quicker than the main bulk and can often be cut out...but personally, I wouldn't use a blank cut to length that still has a crack in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    This is a great build, by the way... ;)
    Thanks Andy, yeah, I asked whether they'd accept a return after I've cut off an inch or so, so will see what they say.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Splits on the end are somewhat to be expected, but splits in the working area are a big no, especially on a neck

This is why we start with oversized blanks
    Thanks Wez, that's what I was thinking. I'll see what the seller says.
  • davros said:
    Gratuitous through the jack hole shot. Annoyed I nicked the maple on the centre block with the angle grinder when thinning the f-holes, but that'll never be seen from the outside and isn't that visible inside!

I always think that the insides of hollowbody guitars look like great places to live 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Bit noisy though
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    Might have to get an f hole shaped skylight for the kitchen!

Been in touch with the seller, they've been fantastic. Allowed me to trim the end down, but the split is still unavoidable. Asked me to return it, will pay the return postage and send out a new one.

Obviously they know guitar making is an addiction and my ongoing custom will have a significant value, but great service nevertheless 

So, a short break in this build.
    Had a few weeks off the build due to a 6 year old's birthday party and a work trip to the US, but back at it now and working on the neck, with the new neck blank.

The neck is rough cut, headstock angle cut, truss rod slot cut and the sides have been trimmed to the template. Fretboard has been thicknessed and tapered, but I've come to a standstill as I've lost the bearing that gives me a 1.5mm rebate for the neck binding. Looks like I'll have to order another one from Wealden, as I can't find it anywhere.

Once I get that, I need to cut the binding rebate then  either bind or radius the fretboard - I haven't decided which order is best. Probably radiusing as it's easier to deepen the fret slots without the binding on there.

• Good to see this back on the board :)
    Got the binding channel routed, but can't glue the fingerboard until I've cut the neck tenon, so working on the neck joint now.

I've thicknessed the tenon down to 35mm using my overhead router jig, and roughly cut it to 40mm wide on thd band saw. Once the tenon fits I'll refine where it meets the body.

It appears to need a 5 degree neck angle, so I'm part way through routing the mortise in the body. I made a template and managed to fix it at the right angle by masking tape/supergluing it to the horns and setting the angle with a 9mm MDF offcut as a wedge. Seems plenty secure enough. Unfortunately my 1 inch long template bit isn't long enough by about 10mm. Taking my life into my hands and ordering a chinese 1.5 inch long bit, just to deepen the mortise. Hopefully it doesn't vibrate too much or shatter in use! I'll probably transfer the bearing from a trend bit.

So, pausing on the neck joint. I may move onto shaping snd thicknessing the headstock while waiting.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Been a while since the last update as I was waiting for a longer template router bit, which was fine in the end, seems sharp and straight. Had a few busy weekends so no time for building.

Took a while refining the neck joint. I think it's almost there. Got the fretboard on, slots deepened and binding on and scraped.

Next up front and side dots, then frets in.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's looking very good, @davros. ;
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Looking awesome mate, very cool 
  • Corvus said:
    Dead nice.. lovely crisp work too.

^^ looks like something off Grand Designs with an f-hole rooflight :)
    Currently extending our kitchen and now annoyed that we didn’t go for an f-hope rooflight 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Andy, Skippy,

Productive weekend, got the dots and frets in today.

Next, the best bit - the neck carve!!

Neck carve all done, suck a satisfying part of the job! It's now gluing in, and tomorrow I'll refine the heel and get it all nicely blended in.

Then onto fitting the bridge and routing for pickups. I see some people do this before gluing the neck, but I prefer to make sure it's all totally lined up beforehand, even though it was perfect in the dry fit.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice job.  Looks good :)
    Thanks Andy,

Routed the neck pickup, fitted the tuners and tailpiece and now working out the bridge position.

Need to put the neck pickup in so I can run it through a tuner to position the bridge right in the middle of the intonation range (not making that mistake again).

Acoustic sound is good, definitely has some of the hollow airiness, will reserve judgement until the frets are levelled and the action is sorted though.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom