Is this overkill? Audio interfaces..

What's Hot
andymanandyman Frets: 58
edited March 2021 in Studio & Recording
So, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of My First Audio Interface... I mostly just want to plug my guitar and some pedals into something and record some tracks in a DAW, maybe get a Two Notes Captor for my amp at some point. Maaaybe get like an Akai Mpk down the road. Don't really plan on getting mics.
I have a macbook and some headphones. I saw this comparison video and was thinking of just grabbing the Audient Evo 4 for £100 since it comes with 8 Wall of Sound cabs. Good enough? Forgetting something? Overkill?...

Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Seems like a sensible choice to me - the only reasons I don't have an Evo are because a) it disables the main outputs when you plug headphones in (I leave both plugged in), and b) they're a bit lightweight, physically, and I'd rather have something relatively weighty that'll stay put rather than moving around when cables get a bit of pressure on them.

Admittedly, the latter could be solved with some 3M Dual Lock, but still...
    <space for hire>
  • andymanandyman Frets: 58
    I totally wanted the id4, but it's £40 more...
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    don't think the Evo4 runs on Big Sur yet, it why I opted for an iD4 - see attached
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Seems like a sensible choice to me - the only reasons I don't have an Evo are because a) it disables the main outputs when you plug headphones in (I leave both plugged in), and b) they're a bit lightweight, physically, and I'd rather have something relatively weighty that'll stay put rather than moving around when cables get a bit of pressure on them.

What would they do that ?....I have my monitors active most of the time but still use cans as well .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    It does seem odd to disable outputs if headphones are plugged in; once I am using monitors for a mix, I will keep checking it on headphones. They are never unplugged if I am using the interface. I have the ID22 and have been very happy with the interface, The ID4 uses the same pre-amp and the JFET input for guitars is also very good. 
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93

That's a mental design. 
  • andymanandyman Frets: 58
    I guess it's more geared towards people streaming via their computers? Podcasters, twitch, etc.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    For your' budget, you may wish to also look at the Behringer Uphoria UMC404HD. I bought it pretty much on a whim and reviews on YT etc. and I like it, though I will readily admit I'm no expert. You certainly get value for money, decent pre-amps, 4 in/out and the drivers are 'in house'. The only thing I can complain about is the 'manual', which frankly is a joke. It must have been written in 2 mins and coverage of the outputs on the back get 2 lines, I'm sure our resident forum experts would have had no problems but for a novice like me, it was frustrating to get to grips with. On reflection, it's a £100 well spent, though.           
  • Worth looking at the Audient Sono as well as it has the inbuilt two notes system. They can occasionally turn up new with a decent discount. Headphones can be a bit noisy though