Anyone have / had a fixed brace?

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
Has anyone got or had a fixed brace before...?

I'm (finally) having one installed on Wednesday, after 34 years of terror with dentists. Found a dentist I'm comfortable with, who has done all the prep work etc., and it's all set for Wednesday morning.

I'm aware that it's going to hurt like a bitch for several days / weeks, but has anyone who's had one got any tips or hints around managing the pain, speech issues etc. and how to clean it? The dentist will show me how to use interdental brushes etc., and they mentioned when I see the hygienist they can remove the wire to allow a deep clean, but if anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate them.

The cause of it all was me going over my BMX handlebar when I was 6 and smashing all my front teeth out. Dentist assured me and my Mum I wouldn't need a brace etc., which has resulted in me having really crowded and shit front teeth for ages. I've been hyper-conscious of it all my life, so it'll be nice to be able to smile in photos finally!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    There's no getting around that a brace is a pain to wear. It's forcing your teeth into new positions so you get a hell of a lot of discomfort. I had mine done in the 70s, but they didn't do such a good job back then, and I basically grind my teeth down now as they aren't in the best place, and still wonky! 

3 of my kids had them done. I hated it when they had a brace at school, as it was harder to talk and a lot of discomfort for them. I thought they might get grief from other kids, but to be honest loads of kids have them now so it didn't happen. It was a relief each time they got rid of them, and they did a good job!

When I met the Mrs she was 18 (eight years younger than me!) and had a brace. She was a very young looking 18, and the brace made her look like a kid. I couldn't have considered going out with her but she had the thing off 2 weeks later and pursued me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I had them in the 80s. Probably technology has moved on since then as with most things. I didn't find them painful to wear except for when the tensioning wire would pierce into my cheeks or gums for some reason which would happen regularly and be quite painful. 

You need to be absolutely anal about cleaning them, and not eating anything in between meals, or your teeth will rot out. Not the easiest thing to get a teenager to do, and I have quite a few missing or extensively repaired teeth now as a result of my CBA attitude back then. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    I had 4 extra adult teeth growing out the actual roof of my mouth. Had those out and then they put a brace on to close the gaps.
    Sometimes it's very painful and others it's fine. Like if you go in for an adjustment your teeth will feel like rubber for the next few days, but then you get used to it and it won't hurt again until the next adjustment.

You've got to clean them after every time you eat, or the food gets stuck there and then it can cause scarring on your teeth around the metal. So you can use those interdental brushes which I never had any trouble with.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    edited March 2021
    NPP said:
    I had them in the 80s. Probably technology has moved on since then as with most things. I didn't find them painful to wear except for when the tensioning wire would pierce into my cheeks or gums for some reason which would happen regularly and be quite painful. 

I forgot about that! Yeah that's awful, but you can put little blobs of wax on the ends and then they don't poke anymore. I can still feel scars in my cheeks from them though haha.
  • Had mine done as young teen in the early 90s. As has been said, mainly hurts for a couple of days after being tensioned. 

Clean your teeth meticulously, and sadly you will need to avoid any fizzy drinks and most ice creams and basically anything that will either break them off or cause plaque build up.

Although it may seem a pain the results will be worth it. Also focus on the health benefits that you’ll see at the end in addition to straight teeth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 992
    edited March 2021
    It's unlikely to "hurt like a bitch". I had one for about 5 years when I was a teenager late 80's / early 90's. I had to wear the headgear at nights too. I don't remember it being that painful to wear. Maybe a bit uncomfortable when they tighten it up a bit.  Having impressions done is the worst part I reckon, hate it.

One of my bottom teeth is still wonky because he refused to fix it because I broke the brace from eating sweets.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    It’s been in for 36 hours now - it’s not too bad, although the teefs are aching today. Took me 45 mins to eat my dinner!

Also knocked one of the things stuck to a tooth last night - holy hell did that hurt!!

Got a water pick thing as well, so have been using  that and interdental brushes after meals. Not too bad so far...!
  • I had them at about 14, I had huge gaps at the front which they cleared up. Do you know if you are having the elastic bands too? That was a bit of a pain having to change them at school, you have to remove them to eat. Being pinged in the gums when one snapped was a pain too.

One thing I will say is follow the dentist/orthodontists advice as much as you can. I was a lazy b***** after mine were removed and didn’t wear the retainer half as much as I should have. 

My teeth started to shift again a couple of years later so I opted to have a removable brace fitted that I wore around the house and in bed. They also glued a piece of wire behind my two front teeth to stop them spreading. After the last brace session I have worn the retainer religiously each night. If I do miss a day or two putting it in again is noticeably more difficult and painful which shows how quickly they can move again!

Stay on top of cleaning and looking after your retainer too. Dish soap and lukewarm water is best. As soon as you notice any cracks or splits get a new one. They do wear out.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    It is saw and uncomfortable at the start. And after each time they are tightened. But it soon dies down. Like most things you just get used to them after a while. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom