There are some pretty thick people out there

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Nitefly said:
    I couldn't LOL the original posts, @axisus - I find it terrifying that people with such a tenuous grasp on things think they have it right.

What on earth do they teach in schools these days?

I am beginning to wonder if this is where it starts.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a young chap, maybe 20-25 about how he had taught himself to read a map and navigate with a compass.  I was a bit puzzled by this as it's something I learned at school, quite early on.  No, they don't teach map reading at school now he explained.  So how do you learn geography if you can't read a map?  It's like kids regarding punctuation as irrelevant these days.  it seems to me that for some inexplicable reason very basic and essential knowledge is being by passed, which is creating some massive blind spots in childrens' education.  "I don't need to know that" or "I can just Google it" seems to be the popular refrain these days.  I find it quite sinister.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    edited March 2021
    As George Carlin said "God damn there's a lot of stupid bastards walking around....  Look at it this way...  Think of how stupid the average person is and then realise that half of them are stupider than that."
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited March 2021
    I don't know there's plenty of daft things been said on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know there's been plenty of daft things been said on here.
    Yeah, I'm half way to being smart and I've said some super dumb things in my life. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Neill said:
    We're all capable of the occasional brain fart, but it's these cases of jaw dropping ignorance that makes you wonder how some folk manage to get to adulthood.

I was running a polling station once, back in the 1980's, and this guy came back with his voting paper demanding to know why Mrs Thatcher's name wasn't on it.  I explained how the names on the paper represented the various political parties, and if he wanted to vote for Mrs Thatcher he might consider putting an "X" against the Conservative candidate.  "But I don't want to vote for him" he protested "I want to vote for Margaret Thatcher".  

There's just nowhere to go from there.  

A guy at work today claimed ignorance of what and where the Suez canal is.

I'm not sure he was serious, but if he was...
    Well he was obviously a hardcore Van Halen fan, so you cant blame him.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:
    I couldn't LOL the original posts, @axisus - I find it terrifying that people with such a tenuous grasp on things think they have it right.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a young chap, maybe 20-25 about how he had taught himself to read a map and navigate with a compass.  I was a bit puzzled by this as it's something I learned at school, quite early on.  No, they don't teach map reading at school now he explained.  So how do you learn geography if you can't read a map?  It's like kids regarding punctuation as irrelevant these days.  it seems to me that for some inexplicable reason very basic and essential knowledge is being by passed, which is creating some massive blind spots in childrens' education.  "I don't need to know that" or "I can just Google it" seems to be the popular refrain these days.  I find it quite sinister.
    I'm 33 and I wasn't taught map reading at school either, geography was about rocks and water and air pollution and stuff like that, rather than where places are able what is the capital of wherever. As a consequence I quite enjoyed geography, though I'll admit the practical stuff of "where is that, how do I go to where" etc has a use as well. 

I think I covered more of the practical map reading and stuff at Scouts, I just didn't consider that geography as to me, geography was rocks and stuff.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:

I'm 33 and I wasn't taught map reading at school either, geography was about rocks and water and air pollution and stuff like that, rather than where places are able what is the capital of wherever. As a consequence I quite enjoyed geography, though I'll admit the practical stuff of "where is that, how do I go to where" etc has a use as well. 

I think I covered more of the practical map reading and stuff at Scouts, I just didn't consider that geography as to me, geography was rocks and stuff.
    I don’t remember anything about map reading at school. Did some on my Outward Bounds later on. 
    I’m not even sure punctuation was covered all that much, school in the 1970s was mostly how we won the war, drawing the parts of a plant and not complaining about physical, mental and sexual abuse. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Geology is rocks and stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    All I remember of geography at secondary school is endless diagrams of cross-sections of various bits of the world and the occasional "field trip" which was basically a walk along various local paths with the occasional charge down any hills.

Map reading was covered in about ten minutes. 
    crunchman said:

Yeah but formed part of geography as well albeit in less depth. Certainly did for my A level anyway. Other exciting topics such as urban structures, the weather, tectonics, and my personal favourite, footpath erosion. Always got me excited did that one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Groynes! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:

I would argue there were just as many blind spots in you education, but it probably suited the priorities of the generation you were educated in

There has been a big push towards teaching transferable skills rather than specific knowledge during my life time.   

The geography syllabus changed, map reading isn't a big part of it.   This happened at least 30 years ago.

Punctuation is definitely still a big thing in schools, and literacy is high on the agenda.  Having spent a lot of the last year teaching at home, I think have learnt a lot of things that were missed from my education in the 80's and 90's.

Most kids over the age of 10 will be able to do long division using at least 2 different methods.  It probably looks a little different to how the older generations did it.  I remember the old school math's teachers saying you wouldn't always be carrying a calculator with you.  I bet they feel foolish now.   Either way, they still teach the manual methods in depth.

There always have been, and always will be stupid people. The only difference is these days they have a much easier way to show their stupidity to the world 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:

I think you have just illustrated my point perfectly.
    Thankfully map reading is quite easy, as the geography I did in school and 6th form was way more interesting and has probably been more useful as well ;)
    WezV said:
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:

I would argue there were just as many blind spots in you education, but it probably suited the priorities of the generation you were educated in

There has been a big push towards teaching transferable skills rather than specific knowledge during my life time.   

The geography syllabus changed, map reading isn't a big part of it.   This happened at least 30 years ago.

Punctuation is definitely still a big thing in schools, and literacy is high on the agenda.  Having spent a lot of the last year teaching at home, I think have learnt a lot of things that were missed from my education in the 80's and 90's.

Most kids over the age of 10 will be able to do long division using at least 2 different methods.  It probably looks a little different to how the older generations did it.  I remember the old school math's teachers saying you wouldn't always be carrying a calculator with you.  I bet they feel foolish now.   Either way, they still teach the manual methods in depth.

There always have been, and always will be stupid people. The only difference is these days they have a much easier way to show their stupidity to the world 

It's not that long ago that the OECD released figures on teenage literacy in the Uk and didn't we come near the bottom of the developed countries?  As for numeracy, I think were actually at the bottom.   These things might be high on the agenda but it's outcomes that matter.  
  • crunchman said:

Geology is the Kardashians of science.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I honestly can't imagine needing to be taught how to read a map - surely as soon as you realise it's a top down representation of an area, it pretty much explains itself?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Cirrus said:
    I honestly can't imagine needing to be taught how to read a map - surely as soon as you realise it's a top down representation of an area, it pretty much explains itself?
    You've obviously never had MrsTheWeary navigate for you on a car journey.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Neill said:
    WezV said:
    Neill said:
    Nitefly said:

It's not that long ago that the OECD released figures on teenage literacy in the Uk and didn't we come near the bottom of the developed countries?  As for numeracy, I think were actually at the bottom.   These things might be high on the agenda but it's outcomes that matter.  
    Sadly, we do rank quite low. 

Do you have evidence we have become worse as a nation?   Most sources seem to claim Literacy has increased, despite the UK's low score compared to other nations.    
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    It has long amazed me that I interview graduates who do not proof read their CVs, do not know how to write a letter nor spell basic words.

That sounds pretty damning, but sadly it is the case.

The brighter sparks stand out a mile.