Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I plan to bring my own - a fretless jazz copy, with flats, down tuned to D. I've no objection to anybody else playing it, but it's a rather acquired taste. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Various subscribers have stated that they are willing to play bass guitar on some of the nominated songs. This is not necessarily the same as actually bringing your own on which to play.

My questions for those planning to bring a bass guitar to the event are;
    1) What make/model(s) will you be carrying on the day?
    2) Are you willing to let other attendees use your instrument(s) in anger?

The intention is to avoid ending up with half a dozen of the same design. (i.e. Precision sporting elderly flatwound strings.) If I know what others will be bringing, I could bring something different.

I'm nowhere near looking at the spreadsheet yet due to having a baby, but happy to play bass on stuff, and have one I can bring along - anyone is free to use it (it's a 5-string Ibanez thing). 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited June 2021
    I have a mexi 50s P Bass with dimarzio pickups in it. Happy for anyone to use

edit: 4 string round wound
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited June 2021
    I've got a Squier Vintage Modified PJ bass (standard 4 string) with roundwound strings I could bring for anyone to use if you need it.

It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    … due to having a baby …
    I bet that hurt. (No stretch mark photographs, FFS.)

I'm toying with the idea of nominating a Manchester New Wave song. That means either Peter Hook or Barry Adamson … which means Rickenbacker! :naughty: 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    In order to maximise playing time in the live room, we usually have a fixed line-up of amps and pedalboards (kindly provided by members and designated for the purpose) which "the band" can plug into you. Thought I would kick off the discussion on what kit could potentially be provided....   
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm quite local and happy to bring stuff. I have a 1974 Pro Reverb which is really nice and has kickback legs. It works now (had a dodgy preamp tube last time)
    Brocco said:
    In order to maximise playing time in the live room, we usually have a fixed line-up of amps and pedalboards (kindly provided by members and designated for the purpose) which "the band" can plug into you. Thought I would kick off the discussion on what kit could potentially be provided....   
    I was going to bring my Helix LT, but it's set up with my own presets which I usually use in Fx only 'stompbox' mode (no ampsim). So I'm effectively using a Helix LT as my pedal board. I'm not sure how practical it would be for someone else to work with my customised Helix LT presets, but I'm happy to explain what they are if anyone wants to try.

For live, I plug the 1/4" jack out of my Helix LT into my HRD IV. Happy to plug into an HRD III or HRD IV if anyone else is bringing one, otherwise I could bring my HRD IV which anyone else can play guitar through.

If we need to keep things simple and uncluttered, all of my gigging presets in my Helix LT are also set up with an ampsime (US Princess) in the path to the XLR out, so I could plug directly in to the PA.

It's not a competition.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I'm local and will bring a helix with a basic setup of clean, crunch n gainey
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Im bringing the Kemper anyway...Ill set up a performance with the basics as well, OD, Rev, Delay, clean, Boost

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    happy to bring my Matchless Lightning along
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I’ll have my Fractal AX8 with me. Anyone is welcome to use
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    I can bring a Suhr PT15 3 channel amp, Bluguitar Amp1 3 channel amp, Fractal AxeFX III - all can go straight into a mixer/PA or run a cab.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Have been looking through the google sheet this morning and cross-checking against posts, and believe the tracks listed below are yet to be seconded (apologies for any inaccuracies - please shout if there are any):

I Wish
    China Girl
    Every Little Thing
    Moonage Daydream
    Bathroom Wall
    London Calling
    That's Entertainment
    Get The Funk Out
    Since You've Been Gone
    The One I Love
    If they don't get seconded, do we pick an alternative? I'm happy to ditch I Wish if there are no other takers.
    It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    If they don't get seconded, do we pick an alternative? I'm happy to ditch I Wish if there are no other takers.
    If one of your songs already has a seconder, then we usually just drop the other proposal.

Im happy to sing on Get teh Funk out, but its beyond my guitar and drumming ability.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    … seconded … I Wish …
    I could second I Wish and volunteer to attempt the bass guitar part. 

The song still stands or falls on funky Rhodes piano and four horn parts (or guitar transcriptions thereof). Without those, the idea is a non-starter. 
    … seconded … I Wish …
    I could second I Wish and volunteer to attempt the bass guitar part. 

The song still stands or falls on funky Rhodes piano and four horn parts (or guitar transcriptions thereof). Without those, the idea is a non-starter. 
    No matter. I've got takers for my other suggestion, so happy to ditch I Wish.

I played it with a 10 piece band with brass years ago. But in my last band we managed a stripped down version with just vocals, one guitar, bass and drums which went down well live.

It's not a competition.
    My two cents on this is that if we have all band parts covered and someone who can lead a revised version of a track, personally I am ok with it not being a carbon copy cover.
    edited July 2021
    I've got takers for my other suggestion, so happy to ditch I Wish.
    Consider it ditched.

On a more constructive note, I second That's Entertainment and volunteer to play bass on it. (Flimsy excuse to get the RIC 4001 out for the day.)
    mrkb said:
    beyond my … drumming ability.
    How's yer bar counting? ;)

This discussion has been closed.