NBAD Ampeg PF350 with PF 210HE

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
Just got it setup, really happy with it in the studio. I'm considering getting a second cab for gigs, so that it can run at its full power. After a studio test though I'm not convinced I'll need it. 

Excuse the playing...I'm very rusty! Here's an in the room sound demo. This was on pretty low volume, and the track was coming from my twin RCF Art 710s, audio purely recorded by my phone. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Nice tone but nowhere near loud enough. :)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    That’s a very cool little set.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to run it with another cab though, they’re rather sensitive to low impedance and can distort in a really horrible way or even fail. They sound great and seem reliable into one cab, so I’d rely on putting it through the PA if it’s not loud enough, or get a more efficient single 8-ohm cab and just take the head section.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I have a PF350 and only ever put it through 1 8ohm cab (a 1x12 with eminence gamma, mostly) and it's plenty loud enough for rehearsal and gigs.
  • ICBM said:
    That’s a very cool little set.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to run it with another cab though, they’re rather sensitive to low impedance and can distort in a really horrible way or even fail. They sound great and seem reliable into one cab, so I’d rely on putting it through the PA if it’s not loud enough, or get a more efficient single 8-ohm cab and just take the head section.
    @ICBM I was going to get a second PF cab, probably just an identical 2x10. AFAIK they're designed to work with these heads in either a single or double cab setup. Am I reading that wrong? 

It'll take a 4 ohm can or two 8ohm cabs to run at the full 350w.

To be honest at this stage I'm still not convinced I need it as this thing is pretty chunky. I only really need volume for stage monitoring, as it runs out to the PA anyway. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Legionreturns said:

@ICBM I was going to get a second PF cab, probably just an identical 2x10. AFAIK they're designed to work with these heads in either a single or double cab setup. Am I reading that wrong? 

It'll take a 4 ohm can or two 8ohm cabs to run at the full 350w.
    Yes, I know - but my experience is that they're right on the limit at 4 ohms... avoid if possible, I've seen a couple fail like that. They're also difficult and expensive to repair out of warranty - impractical, for most purposes. Class D output sections are a bit of a problem for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    I had one, sounded immense but it cut out when pushed hard. Might be the same thing icbm is talking about?

Great sounding amp though, you'll enjoy playing through it! 
    funkyfraz said:
    I had one, sounded immense but it cut out when pushed hard. Might be the same thing icbm is talking about?
    Possibly a different symptom - that sounds like the thermal protection operating. They do sound great but I have a feeling they’re a little too close to the limit when run at full tilt and at minimum impedance.

I also had a Micro VR, which is essentially a PF200 in a mini-SVT-style box (with a transformer rather than switch-mode power supply), and that did the same things. It sounded perfect through its own little 8-ohm 2x10” but wasn’t quite loud enough, and misbehaved through a 4-ohm cab.

If you can avoid running them at 4 ohms they’re really nice though.

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    That’s an awesome little Bass Rig . .  Nice & compact . . Your "rusty" playing is way better than me on a good day :-) 

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  !