Good keyboard with weighted keys?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    thegummy said:

I do still wonder why you don't use the semi-weighted one for piano sounds then?
    Semi-weighted keys are 'wrong' to play for pianists who are used to expressing themselves on a piano keyboard (or anyone trying to develop proper piano skills). The way that the keys return to the rest position, the need for triple sensors, etc.

Piano-weighted keys are also graded across the board, with different weight in the treble to the bass. Unlike a semi-weighted synth keyboard. 

For me (a keyboard hack) the best thing about piano-weighted keys is that you have to work harder to be consistent and get the tone you want. Which is rather like playing guitar. A downside is that poor technique (pinkie/4th finger strength) shows up more readily than on a semi-weighted synth keyboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    goldtop said:

Semi-weighted keys are 'wrong' to play for pianists who are used to expressing themselves on a piano keyboard (or anyone trying to develop proper piano skills). The way that the keys return to the rest position, the need for triple sensors, etc.
    Yeah I know that's true for people who are used to an acoustic piano, I'm just interested if it's that or something else for him.

goldtop said:

For me (a keyboard hack) the best thing about piano-weighted keys is that you have to work harder to be consistent and get the tone you want. Which is rather like playing guitar. A downside is that poor technique (pinkie/4th finger strength) shows up more readily than on a semi-weighted synth keyboard.
    See that surprises me. Say I had to play a game where I'd do play a piece and get as many notes hitting the same specific velocity as possible; I'd have thought I'd have a better chance with a digital piano style keyboard than on a synth style keyboard.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited August 2021
    Because its not hammer action and has no escarpment.  Thats critical for ptoper piano playing.   

I assume your after a controller not synth?  Whay functionality do ypu need snd what price point.  Ideal size?

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Because its not hammer action and has no escarpment.  Thats critical for ptoper piano playing.   

I assume your after a controller not synth?  Whay functionality do ypu need snd what price point.  Ideal size?

I'm not actually the thread starter who's currently looking for a keyboard, though I do appreciate your info anyway for possible future purchases.

For years I've been looking for a weighted keyboard that's smaller than an 88 key but the only one I found was Studiologic's lowest end one which gets a bit of mixed feedback online. If there's a particular semi-weighted one you find to have good controllable action, I'd be grateful for a recommendation if it's not one I've already tried. I'm not playing Romantic piano nocturnes or anything, it's just that the semi-weighted ones I've tried already didn't seem to have enough resistance for what I'm after.

Just out of curiosity, do you use the hammer action or semi-weighted keyboards for electric piano if you use that?
  • I used the hammer action for all piano/key based really.  Piano,. EP, Clavs etc.    I do layer pads and strings etc if I need a layered sound.   I do use it for synth sounds as well at times - but only when I need key real estate - and try to stick to sounds that have slow attack/decay as there easier to control.   Organ sounds and synths generally are played on my semi weighted synth board. 

As for recommendations - I dont use controllers, I use synths/pianos as controllers (as I use them for their own sounds as well).   As such Im not aware of whats particularly good or bad on controllers.   Good, controllable semi weighted, affordable  synth to look at would be something like the Model Argon/Cobalt 8s (the 61 key version if you want a controller).  they have the bonus of transmitting separate midi on every knob so can be used as a controller in a fashion.
  • How about the korg sv73? Sounds decent. Although the size of 73 keys it’s heavier than my 88 key weighted board. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I have an Oberheim MC 2000, which is very good, but also extremely heavy.