Patreon 'per creation' payment

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691

I want to sponsor someone in my field who I think does amazing work. However on Patreon he doesn't have a monthly amount listed but a 'per creation' amount.  Options are £4 or £8.

Does that mean every time he posts something I get charged £4 or £8? I may be being dim but I don't seem to be able to find an answer anywhere. Or is it it's £4 each time I click on one of his new 'creations'? 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    edited March 2021
    As I understand it there are variations in the payment structures.
    Rather than cut & paste stuff, this is fairly clear    https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002355991-Understand-my-payments-to-creators

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Thanks I missed that. Spells it out quite clearly, unfortunately. 

So shit. The guy could release 20 videos/livestreams/photo of a dump he took a month and I'd be down £160 unless I set a limit, which means I'd have to pay for everything until that runs out, meaning I'd pay for stuff I don't care about and miss out on other stuff that month. 

What a horrible, horrible system. 

I just sort of wanted to drop him £20 or something as a thanks. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You can set individual payment ceilings & a total monthly limit, so you should be able to limit your exposure if your supported artist develops creative diarrhoea.
    https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002984506

Yes but you can't select which of the things he might release in a month you'd contribute your patronage to, so if he does 10 poops in a row first then that's what you're paying for. 

Shame. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I guess that's why patronage is historically the pastime of the seriously wealthy.
    Shame really, I thought it was designed for peer to peer support at a more 'realistic' level.
    edited March 2021
    I'd happily give him like £10 a month but I'm not paying him more than I do for Netflix. 

Shame.

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Are you sure you won't be able to see all the posts, even if he does max out the contributions? Like, you set up for a maximum of five uploads per month, but he uploads six, you'd be able to see all six. I thought that was how it worked. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    Email him to set up buymeacoffee link then pay just for vids you like
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    soma1975 said:
    I'd happily give him like £10 a month but I'm not paying him more than I do for Netflix. 

Shame.
    I think Patreon works pretty well for lessons, podcasts and certain sorts of writing, but it's never seemed an ideal way of funding new music to me, because it creates pressure to churn out stuff regularly. I guess it's good for fans who just want to feel involved in somebody's life and are happy with 'creations' that aren't music – studio snippets, pictures of the cat or whatever.

I'm glad it helps some artists make a living, but I much preferred the seemingly out-of-fashion 'give me £X and in a year you'll get an album'.

Can you just buy a couple of shirts or something instead? If the guy is on Bandcamp you can pay over the asking price for his music. (I love this feature, partly because any song I really like is worth far more to me than $1, and partly because it gives me an opportunity to say 'More like this, please.')
    He's not a musician. He's a cinematographer discussing the craft. 

edited March 2021
    Are you sure you won't be able to see all the posts, even if he does max out the contributions? Like, you set up for a maximum of five uploads per month, but he uploads six, you'd be able to see all six. I thought that was how it worked. 
    I was pretty certain that 'per creation' just goes until you max it out and that's you done for the month like mobile phone minutes.

soma1975 said:
    He's not a musician. He's a cinematographer discussing the craft. 
    Ah, shouldn't have assumed. Do you know how often he's posting at the moment? Per creation tends to be recommended when you're not making enough stuff to justify a monthly sub, so it might actually be that he's trying to avoid gouging his supporters.
    He's posting shitloads plus livestreams and all sorts. It' not that it's a bad deal or anything. Just way more than I am happy to pay for something I find interesting but not essential. Of his other free content I pick and choose what I watch and don't consume all of it as some isn't aimed at the stuff I do or aspire to do. 

Looks like no worries:

Does this mean patrons lose access after they’ve been billed their monthly limit? 
    No. Patrons will have access to all paid posts and patron only posts published as long as they have an active membership with you and do not have a declined bill. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    ooooh...

THIS.CHANGES. EVERYTHING.